Deleterious

2014 Preseason Games

Drummond has used that little jump hook 3-4 times. I think that was the first one that dropped but it has looked pretty nice.

Drummond has used that little jump hook 3-4 times. I think that was the first one that dropped but it has looked pretty nice.

The touch on it looked good. Nice to see some offensive game developing.

Perimeter D still needs work. Chicago shot 42% from behind the line.

Overall, the Pistons shooting wasn't that hot.

Monroe looked good. 9-13 from the floor and 6-7 from the line. That TS% should be over 60%. Probably meaningless without Noah playing.

Jennings took some bad shots, some shots early in the shot clock, his defense wasn't good. But overall I thought he was above average.

Augustin will be a huge improvement over any backup they had last year.

KCP looked like summer league KCP. His D was a little suspect though.

I thought Jerebko looked like a legit backup.

I thought they got a decent look at the end of regulation. KCP was a bit off balance but it was a good look considering they only had a bit over a second on the clock.

This team will get killed at the SF position all year.

Drummond showed more offensive game than his previous two years combined.

Josh Smith...yeah.

The SF position is going to be a real concern. Butler and Singler did absolutely nothing out there. Going to be some long nights for those two on the defensive end.

I wonder how bad SVG wants to get rid of Josh Smith and how hard he realizes that task is. He was a mess on the floor last night.

I wonder how bad SVG wants to get rid of Josh Smith and how hard he realizes that task is. He was a mess on the floor last night.

But he only took 1 three!

/..laugh../

But he only took 1 three!

/..laugh../

I don't know why we are all complaining. Smith is shooting 100% from behind the line!

Does this mean you are ready to concede our bet WRT Smith before the season starts?

I stand firm...although that is because it seems to be the only option.

If someone was looking at this team and had no biases, no knowledge of player history or salary information my guess is the starting line up would be

Drummond, JJ, Singler, Meeks and Jennings.

They'd make Monroe a full time center backing up Drummond, JJ would do a better job spacing the floor for Drummond and fits better then Smith at the 4. I wouldn't even be shocked if DJ got the nod over Jennings.

This is not a well put together team. Even with Rose and Dunleavy playing fewer than 20 mins and Noah out we barely eeked out an OT win. I know it's early but this team is just so poorly set up, even SVG is gonna struggle until he can fix this roster.

I do think that they played with good energy though. Jennings and Drummond look to have established a good repertoire, and it looks like they're gonna use the preseason to really push the ball to Drummond inside a lot this year. Hopefully he can start making some big strides offensively.

I don't know why we are all complaining. Smith is shooting 100% from behind the line!

he hit 4 shots...only one of them was within 15 ft of the rim. took 11 shots, only 3 of them within 15 feet of the rim. Good to see he's ready to do whatever it takes to help this team win this year.

Edited by DaBishop

This was a fun game and it definitely felt pretty tense despite being a preseason game. I expect that from the Bulls, but it really felt like the Pistons were putting a ton of effort into the game. I say that, because you never saw that last year. Hopefully that is a trend going forward. One thing I need to mention about the Bulls defense is that we struggled all night to get the ball inbounds. I'm not sure if that was a focus for them, but we had to call a timeout at least once and we nearly got a violation multiple times just trying to get the ball in from the sideline.

SVG - I loved hearing him bark out from the sidelines. He's engaged, he pulls players aside to coach them, and we even had a couple of nice plays out of the deadball for buckets (last time I saw that was probably during the LB days). I also saw flashes of some really nice ball movement and offensive plays that I haven't seen from this team in a while. Looking forward to more of that.

Jennings - He did look bigger to me in the chest/neck/shoulder area, so maybe the weight gain wasn't a joke. I saw a lot more effort and control from him than usual. He took some boneheaded shots, but when the game was tight in the 4th it didn't turn into fadeaway jumper time. I'm not going to say he looked great, but he looked better than I usually expect from him and he ended the game with a ton of assists.

KCP - Love it. He was aggressive and that's how he needs to play. I wonder if we'll see KCP at the SF with Meeks at the SG at some point this year in the starting lineup. However, I'm not sure if that will help KCP or not. He seems suited to coming off the bench where he can be aggressive and not have to defer. I'm starting to realize that his game is much stronger when he has the ball rather than being the 5th option in the corner on offense. Off the bench, he'll probably have a better chance of being a bigger part of the offense.

Meeks - Looked solid for game 1. Scored some points and helped spread the floor. Basically, he did what he was supposed to do. I need to see more of him before I start formulating an opinion.

Smith - Played like absolute garbage. Took too many outside shots, wasn't great on defense, and just looked out of it. I was glad to see him on the bench for most of the 4th and OT.

Drummond - I love that he's trying to establish that Shaq baby hook. You can see that they're trying to get him that one post move and even though he struggled with it, the move looks good. If he can establish that move, it will completely change the game for the Pistons. He still looked lost at times on defense and you could see SVG barking at him to get up the court faster. Of all the players, I think he's going to benefit the most from SVG, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he's progressed by the end of the season.

DJ Augustin - I thought the team played better with him on the court. He ran the offense well and he can get inside. He's not great on defense, but he can be pesky and he does a better job of not gambling than Jennings. I love his effort out there.

Singler - He looked terrible. If I recall from last year it took him months to find his shot so I hope that doesn't happen again. He's full of hustle, which I like, but other than that I was not impressed. And he's simply not a good defender.

Butler - Looked really old and rusty in the first half. He had a couple of nice defensive plays in the 4th. Reminds me of when we had an aging Curry back in the day. SVG will keep him in there to provide veteran stabilization to this lineup, but he probably won't impress us much and most fans will call for him to get benched.

JJ - Jonas was the king of the floor burns. He was on the court for every loose ball and really busting his tail. It paid off with a nice game and he continued to show a decent stroke from outside. I think we're going to see a lot more of him than we probably expected even though we have the three other bigs.

Monroe - Moose was Moose. Still can't jump over a phonebook, but he's able to make it happen with crafty moves and strength. He played primarily at Center, which is where I feel he belongs anyway.

Smith completely looked lost...It's almost like he takes all those long shots because he doesn't know the offense well enough to move the ball around or something.

Gotta like 10 Assists and zero turnovers from Jennings against a good defensive team.

Smith completely looked lost...It's almost like he takes all those long shots because he doesn't know the offense well enough to move the ball around or something.

Gotta like 10 Assists and zero turnovers from Jennings against a good defensive team.

he takes all those shots because he's stupid and doesnt know basketball. How many times do you think he's been told not to shoot a 20 footer with 16 left on the shot clock and he still keeps doing it.

the bulls announcers were openly rooting for him to make one because that means he'll keep shooting. Little do they know that smith will keep shooting them whether he makes them or not.

you know youre bad when you make brandon jennings look coachable and smart.

he takes all those shots because he's stupid and doesnt know basketball. How many times do you think he's been told not to shoot a 20 footer with 16 left on the shot clock and he still keeps doing it.

the bulls announcers were openly rooting for him to make one because that means he'll keep shooting. Little do they know that smith will keep shooting them whether he makes them or not.

you know youre bad when you make brandon jennings look coachable and smart.

I noticed SVG clapping his hands in approval after his first or 2nd jumper went in. SVG isn't a fan who doesn't think, he knows Josh has 18 foot jump shot range, but will need to limit his 3's drastically. Josh Smith shouldn't stop shooting jumpers altogether, that would be dumb. Josh Smith from 16-23 feet in 2014, 37%. It's not Lamarcus Aldridge, not something you go to every game until the other team stops it, but it's not horrible. Respectable enough if it's off ball movement or a P'n'P, he was 3 of 7 on them last night and every fan

on this forum railed every shot like it was the reason for Pistons suckitude since 2008. In-effing-sufferable. Think it out and ask yourself, were the shots that dumb? Maybe 1 of them was dumb. That is a 6-1 dumb shot ratio. That would probably lead the League. How many times did Smith get to the middle of the floor and kick out to open 3 point shooters? I would have no clue if my only news came from this thread.

Piston fans hate Josh Smith's game, we know, but the commentary has to be considered a bore, especially when it dominates a thread. Every thread. Josh Smith doesn't have a twitter, he doesn't read message boards, it won't effect his performance, SVG will, and we should sit tight and limit try to limit "Josh Smith" sucks to one post per person every game thread.

I noticed SVG clapping his hands in approval after his first or 2nd jumper went in. SVG isn't a fan who doesn't think, he knows Josh has 18 foot jump shot range, but will need to limit his 3's drastically. Josh Smith shouldn't stop shooting jumpers altogether, that would be dumb. Josh Smith from 16-23 feet in 2014, 37%. It's not Lamarcus Aldridge, not something you go to every game until the other team stops it, but it's not horrible. Respectable enough if it's off ball movement or a P'n'P, he was 3 of 7 on them last night and every fan

on this forum railed every shot like it was the reason for Pistons suckitude since 2008. In-effing-sufferable. Think it out and ask yourself, were the shots that dumb? Maybe 1 of them was dumb. That is a 6-1 dumb shot ratio. That would probably lead the League. How many times did Smith get to the middle of the floor and kick out to open 3 point shooters? I would have no clue if my only news came from this thread.

Piston fans hate Josh Smith's game, we know, but the commentary has to be considered a bore, especially when it dominates a thread. Every thread. Josh Smith doesn't have a twitter, he doesn't read message boards, it won't effect his performance, SVG will, and we should sit tight and limit try to limit "Josh Smith" sucks to one post per person every game thread.

Well someone didn't watch the game last night.

Man alive, that was one awfully wrong and bad Josh Smith diatribe.