Deleterious

2014 Preseason Games

I looked for last year's thread but couldn't find it, so I thought I'd ask here - Any plans to do an Adopt-A-Piston Draft this season?

Isn't he the 3rd PG now? They only have 3 PG's and no room to add anyone. I suppose a trade isn't out of the question.

I'm not expecting much from him.

Well yah, he'd be 3rd on the depth chart, but I wasn't expecting him to play much. With Bynum gone, I wonder if he'll play a little more often than we thought in the early part of the season. 5-10 minutes here and there at least. Also, does it mean we think he can play backup minutes if Jennings or Augustin gets hurt?

Well yah, he'd be 3rd on the depth chart, but I wasn't expecting him to play much. With Bynum gone, I wonder if he'll play a little more often than we thought in the early part of the season. 5-10 minutes here and there at least. Also, does it mean we think he can play backup minutes if Jennings or Augustin gets hurt?

He hasn't played a minute in preseason so I don't see how they could say he can play backup minutes due to an injury.

My philosophy would to always have my 3rd PG be a young guy or someone you are developing. The only way the 3rd PG plays is on rare nights of foul trouble or someone gets hurt. If the injury is long term you could then make a roster move to bring in a veteran backup and keep the young guy at #3.

Although if your first two PG's are really young, I would go with an older guy as #3 to mentor them a bit.

Goodwill said Jennings has a sore Achilles. He didn't participate in the shoot around and doesn't expect the Pistons to change it by playing him tonight. But no official word yet.

Goodwill said Jennings has a sore Achilles. He didn't participate in the shoot around and doesn't expect the Pistons to change it by playing him tonight. But no official word yet.

Langlois reported the same on the team website. A sore Achilles is something that can really linger, gotta stretch it pretty specifically once it is tweaked or else it stays tender forever.

Ellis said you wont see much of Monroe tonight either. SVG is setting the rotation for the first two games without Monroe. Jerebko and Anthony will be the backup bigs.

Dinwiddie 2-3 from downtown and two assists in 5 minutes of action so far according to box score.

Ellis said you wont see much of Monroe tonight either. SVG is setting the rotation for the first two games without Monroe. Jerebko and Anthony will be the backup bigs.

Have you seen anything recent about the rotation? I know early in the pre-season they were rotating the three bigs at the two front court spots and then SVG wanted to see some minutes with all three out there together but I never heard what came of that.

Have you seen anything recent about the rotation? I know early in the pre-season they were rotating the three bigs at the two front court spots and then SVG wanted to see some minutes with all three out there together but I never heard what came of that.

These two were posted the other day. Doesn't really say much though.

SVG gauging Pistons big lineup, complicated by injuries | Detroit Pistons

Detroit Pistons notes: Jumbo group getting better results

Pistons take care of Summer league Sixers, 109-103.

5-2 in the preseason. 3-0 at the Palace. Lost by 2 at Washington and by 12 at Orlando.

I can't imagine they cut Datome. Especially with Meeks out and maybe even KCP until further notice.

I think it comes down to Mitchell and Gray. Personally I don't see much of a use for Mitchell, so I think they should honor Gray's deal and keep him as the 15th guy and let him ride the bench until he's healthy... And then he rides the bench some more

KCP, Meeks, and Jennings didn't play last night and Datome still didn't get off the bench. If there was ever a game he would play it seems last night would have been it. I think he is probably just as useless as Mitchell at this point.

At first I assumed Gray would be cut. I just assumed the NBA had some rule that gave you cap relief if someone had a medical problem like his. Turns out they kind of do, but only for teams who are over the cap. Since the Pistons still are under the cap a little bit, they won't receive any relief if they cut Gray.

Honestly, they could probably cut all three guys and we would never know the difference.

I can't imagine they cut Datome, either.

They may not have to cut Gray, if he really does have a heart condition. I have a feeling that situation will sort itself out.

Cutting Mitchell is a move I really hate, but if SVG isn't going to use him he might as well get a shot to grow his game either overseas or with another franchise. Yes, I do realize nobody else will be sorry to see him go. Zeke was surprised during summer ball that Mitchell wasn't being used more facing the basket, as he had scouted him as a face-up combo forward rather than a back-to-the-basket 4. While Zeke is a mixed bag of basketball knowledge, Mitchell was ranked as the #2 SF in the country coming out of high school so he wasn't the only one who felt he didn't belong anchored on the block.

Perhaps Europe is exactly what Mitchell needs to reinvent himself and gain some work ethic?

I was at the game last night, so I figured I'd post some observations:

SVG - I love watching SVG's reactions as bad shots go up or mistakes are made. He's showing the frustration that I'm feeling when that happens, which means he doesn't feel like those mistakes are ok, which makes me happy. After the line of coaches we've had in the past, I like knowing that our new coach wants the team to play the game the right way.

Dinwiddie - Looked really good in his first 5 minute stretch, but definitely showed that he's a rookie who hasn't played ball in 9 months in his later stints on the floor. Made some dumb mistakes, some lazy passes, and got lost a few times on defense. Still, the kid just starting playing 5 on 5 basketball a week ago after a major injury and this is his first NBA action, so I'll cut him some slack on that stuff. Overall I was impressed with him and I'm really looking forward to seeing him at midseason.

DJ Augustin - I see it now. He's a backup. I like him, he plays hard and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but unless he surrounded by stars he's not your starting PG. I hate to say it, but you have to go with Jennings as the stater because if you can control his bone-headed moments, he's clearly the more talented guy. If anyone has a chance to make that happen, it's SVG.

Cartier Martin - He was the best defensive player on the floor by a wide margin and he has a nice stroke from deep. I really hope he's the starting 3 come next week. 6 steals in the game and that doesn't even show how much effort he puts in on every play. KCP, Martin, and Smith starting with Drummond protecting the rim could set the stage for a much improved defensive team this year.

Butler - Caron had a nice game offensively, but he's looked pretty old in general this pre-season. I think he makes a nice stabilizing veteran presence for the second unit and in the locker room, but I really don't think he should be the starter.

Singler - He had his stroke last night and SVG really loves plays to get that right corner three. Singler will be a solid backup to the SG/SF positions, but again, he's not the starter at either of those positions in my eyes. He has the hustle but lacks the defensive skills.

Smith - He did jack up two terrible shots in a row, but they were also right after a couple of good shots where he went to the rim. He had an absolute monster facial dunk on Noel as well in this game that got the entire bench up and cheering. Overall I felt that Smith played a nice game. He took a couple of bad shots, but most of his shots were pretty good and made sense for the offense (and shot clock). He was also doing a really nice job of finding the open man as his assist total shows.

Drummond - He looked like Drummond. Flashes of brilliance, some really nice Shaq-like moves that you didn't see him try last year (although his results still vary), and also some moments where SVG chewed him out for looking lost or dragging his way up the court after a turnover. He's really got to learn to use his body better on boxouts. We gave up three offensive rebounds on FT attempts and plenty of second chance shots.

Anthony - Solid backup and insurance policy. He's not going to give you anything to talk about, but he'll play solid defense and snag the boards.

Mitchell - Nothing to talk about. He played a couple of minutes. His only skill is jumping high. I'd say we should cut him, but I guess he's better than the guy with a heart condition.

Monroe, Jennings, KCP, Meeks, Gray, Luigi - DNP