RedRamage

FG Kicker thread

Why do we have to have a punter hold? Isn't it an advantage to have QB hold? Better hands. Better fake FG options?

Maybe they don't want Orlovsky to get hurt doing it, and Kellen Moore is so short the snap would go over his head every time.

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 5m5 minutes ago

Lions still in a holding pattern at kicker, waiting on Matt Prater. At least one of the other Ks is still in town, eating dinner right now

Hayden Epstein played 6 games for the 2002 Jaguars and went 5 for 9 for field goals before being released. I do not believe he punted in the NFL.

5 for 9 eh? The Lions might want to give him a call

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 5m5 minutes ago

The Lions are expected to sign former Broncos kicker Matt Prater.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 11m11 minutes ago

League source: #Lions expecting to sign ex-Broncos PK Matt Prater over Jay Feely. Detroit kickers have made league-low 33 pct FG

Justin Rogers @Justin_Rogers · 1m 1 minute ago

Report: Lions are signing Matt Prater after a kick-off at team's practice facility on Tuesday: Report: Detroit Lions to sign Matt Prater after winning kick-off at team headquarters | MLive.com

Edited by Kamakzie

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago

Former Broncos K Matt Prater is signing a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions, per source.

Very good news.

Has there been another team in NFL history that has had three PKs in six games? Unreal.

Has there been another team in NFL history that has had three PKs in six games? Unreal.

What's amazing is this is the same team that had two in 30+ years.

What's amazing is this is the same team that had two in 30+ years.

1980 until 2012. Amazing. Won't happen again.

Lions sign Prater

......Prater, who signed his first professional contract with the Lions as a rookie free agent out of Central Florida, was cut by the Denver Broncos last week......

........Prater's father, John, told the Free Press today, that Prater holds Hanson and the Lions organization in high regard because of the chance they gave him eight years ago.

"Jason was fantastic with Matt," John Prater said. "A lot of times in preseason, guys won't let the other guy kick, especially an undrafted guy, and Jason kind of let Matt go out there and kick some and he had a really good game at Cleveland (when he made three kicks) and that kind of put him on the map."......

I never knew this about Prater.

Here's hoping this thread of mine barely gets touched anymore this season.

Once Prater kicks the winning field goal in the Super Bowl, it may get touched again.

Once Prater kicks the winning field goal in the Super Bowl, it may get touched again.

Yeah, but knowing the Lions, they'll cut him in November and he'll get picked up by the SB winning team.

I was in the hotel room getting ready for a wedding when the game was going on. No local TV had the game on so I was watching the NFL network and watching the side panel to see the score and they would cut in when someone would score.

They did not mention anything about the 3 missed FG's...at least not that I saw. I watched the score go from 14-0 to 14-3, 14-6 and then 14-14 after the 2 point conversion was good. It was tied with 20 seconds left or whatever and then the final score hit..17-14 Lions lose.

I just checked the recap of the game. LOL 3 missed FG's. The last one with 30 some seconds left...a 50 yarder? I am assuming after we missed that 50 yarder to win, they got about 20 yards on a couple plays and iced the game with a 50+ yarder?

Breaking Down the Detroit Lions' Kicking Woes | Bleacher Report

I can understand getting unlucky on one kicker, but this organization is cycling through it's 4th place kicker in less than two seasons, after basically brooming Hanson out the door after 2012 over a measly million dollar contract demand differential?

Good luck with Mayhew and this FO.

What am I missing? We now have a pro bowl kicker who was the best in the league last year instead of a 44 year old who hasn't kicked in two years, and this is supposed to be upsetting?

And sorry sabre, the Lions kicker situation isn't going to be the straw that broke the camels back. Ya all realize we are still in first place, right?

It's Rob Parker so I question anything he writes.

Exactly. When I hear this from a source who is not named Rob Parker or who gets his info from Rob Parker, then I'll believe.

What am I missing? We now have a pro bowl kicker who was the best in the league last year instead of a 44 year old who hasn't kicked in two years, and this is supposed to be upsetting?

Well, it depends on when the offer was made. If it was made two weeks ago, then it's more questionable (assuming it's real, which is VERY questionable.)

And sorry sabre, the Lions kicker situation isn't going to be the straw that broke the camels back. Ya all realize we are still in first place, right?

Well... um... I dunno. Look at the last game. It's clear many things when wrong in that game with that game, but it's also clear that if Henery had just 2 of the 3 kicks we would have won. Even if he just made one of the kicks the end of the game might have been different (Lions running out the clock rather than trying to rush down for a FG attempt) and at the very least it would have been a tie going into OT vs. a loss.

Now what happens if the Lions miss the playoffs by one game? Yeah, it wasn't all the kickers fault, but as I said, even a 2 for 3 effort wins us the game.

If the Lions don't make the playoffs this year, do the Lions get blownup? Does Mayhew get fired? Does Caldwell get fired? Do they have a "fire sale"? Remember the last time the Lions missed the playoffs by just one kick?

Over all I'm not going to disagree too much with you here. The Lions certainly have more problems than just the FG position. But I think it is an important spot and it could end up costing them more games if the new guy can't make it work.

Well, it depends on when the offer was made. If it was made two weeks ago, then it's more questionable (assuming it's real, which is VERY questionable.)

Well... um... I dunno. Look at the last game. It's clear many things when wrong in that game with that game, but it's also clear that if Henery had just 2 of the 3 kicks we would have won. Even if he just made one of the kicks the end of the game might have been different (Lions running out the clock rather than trying to rush down for a FG attempt) and at the very least it would have been a tie going into OT vs. a loss.

Now what happens if the Lions miss the playoffs by one game? Yeah, it wasn't all the kickers fault, but as I said, even a 2 for 3 effort wins us the game.

If the Lions don't make the playoffs this year, do the Lions get blownup? Does Mayhew get fired? Does Caldwell get fired? Do they have a "fire sale"? Remember the last time the Lions missed the playoffs by just one kick?

Over all I'm not going to disagree too much with you here. The Lions certainly have more problems than just the FG position. But I think it is an important spot and it could end up costing them more games if the new guy can't make it work.

The last Lions game I went to was that Bears game where they were eliminated from the playoffs on that last second field goal. Never even been to Ford Field.