Sign in to follow this  
Jason_R

Worst Sports Days in Detroit History

I go back to Utley. Sports is a game until you are changed forever. We watch it but don't play it at the professional level. The glory of winning is great but losing a person to injury is far more important than the game. Mike may have survived but no one here would ever want to be him. The limo accident...same thing. From happy to despair in an instant not just for Wings fan but for any person that has a heart. Changed forever with no chance to be what it was.

I love sports but the people that play it are human. We forget that they fail just as we fail in life. They are fragile. Sunday may have been a suck for us but it isn't life altering. Another season begins and hope is there. We tread on rooting for these teams while they continue on playing it. Life continues as normal for most but permanent change is irreversible...

It is just a game no matter what the game is.

The Tigers whimpered their way out of the playoffs, in what may have been their last, best chance at a World Series with the current core lineup.

Eh, I think next year's team has a pretty good chance of being more dominant than this year's team.

I'm only a Tigers fan, but I think this moment was easily eclipsed by the day Randy Smith offered Juan Gonzalez a $140 million contract. Knowing that our GM would gamble the franchise's future on such an injury-prone headcase made me lose hope of the Tigers being a winning team not just in the next year, but in many subsequent years in the near future. :)

August 10th was the worst sports day for this season. The day you had to face that the bullpen and the bench and Miggy's injury, and Torii's desire to drive in 5 runs when all you needed were one... were too much to overcome with David Price being good for 6 innings of a 19 inning baseball game.

09-24-50

The Tigers had the '50 pennant won, until catcher Aaron Robinson made his" bonehead play." The Tigers were never a pennant contender until the '67 season.

One of the closest American League pennant races ever enters the season's final day with the Red Sox and Twins tied for first place and the Tigers one-half game back. The Red Sox and Twins play a game against each other, with the winner clinching a tie for the pennant and the loser being eliminated. In that game, eventual American League MVP Carl Yastrzemski goes 4 for 4 as the Red Sox beat the Twins 5-3. The Tigers can tie the Red Sox if they sweep a doubleheader from the California Angels in Detroit. The Tigers win the first game 6-4, but their bullpen fails in the finale and the Angels win 8-5 to give the Red Sox the pennant with no playoff....This was downright heart-breaking...soooo close!

One of the closest American League pennant races ever enters the season's final day with the Red Sox and Twins tied for first place and the Tigers one-half game back. The Red Sox and Twins play a game against each other, with the winner clinching a tie for the pennant and the loser being eliminated. In that game, eventual American League MVP Carl Yastrzemski goes 4 for 4 as the Red Sox beat the Twins 5-3. The Tigers can tie the Red Sox if they sweep a doubleheader from the California Angels in Detroit. The Tigers win the first game 6-4, but their bullpen fails in the finale and the Angels win 8-5 to give the Red Sox the pennant with no playoff....This was downright heart-breaking...soooo close!

It's funny, but just after the '67 elimination, I almost knew they would win the AL pennant in 1968. All my friends were optimistic as well. That, and the Denny McLain surprise made 1968 my favorite Tiger season so far, of all time!