Sign in to follow this  
Jason_R

Worst Sports Days in Detroit History

Yesterday was one of the worst Detroit sports days in recent memory.

The Tigers whimpered their way out of the playoffs, in what may have been their last, best chance at a World Series with the current core lineup.

The Lions found another way to lose an eminently winnable home game, missing three FGs (!!!) and losing on a 58-yard FG made late.

If you want, you can throw in Michigan's latest failure too.

Certainly there have been worse sports days/weekends, but yesterday's has to rank up there. Where do you rank it in terms of bad Detroit sports days?

Any Tiger team that has Dave Dombrowski as its GM will figure out a way to be competitive.

The day after the Tigers won the World Series in 1984.

I realized my life was no better and I wasn't getting a share of the playoff money.

Any Tiger team that has Dave Dombrowski as its GM will figure out a way to be competitive.

As long as he still has a huge payroll to work with.

The day after the Tigers won the World Series in 1984.

I realized my life was no better and I wasn't getting a share of the playoff money.

Kidding aside, the worst Detroit sports day I can remember was the day after the Stanley Cup win, when the limo accident was reported.

Was yesterday's Tigers loss more painful than watching Torii Hunter land on his head in Boston's bullpen? Or of Cabrera striking out looking to end the World Series? At least yesterday the team went quietly. Those latter two clips are going to be replayed for a long, long time.

For me it was in 1987. The Tigers had a 98-64 record compared to the Twinkies 85-77. Early in the series Darrel Evans got picked off third base. The team went flat, and the Twinkies went on to win the WS.

Tigers related I agree with Charlie - it was 1987 for me. Last year was even harder than this year because we could have been up 2-0 heading home. As a whole though, it was a tough weekend. & the Pistons don't offer a whole lot of hope to make me feel much better this winter.

Kidding aside, the worst Detroit sports day I can remember was the day after the Stanley Cup win, when the limo accident was reported.

Was yesterday's Tigers loss more painful than watching Torii Hunter land on his head in Boston's bullpen? Or of Cabrera striking out looking to end the World Series? At least yesterday the team went quietly. Those latter two clips are going to be replayed for a long, long time.

I think you might have nailed it there. You're right. After that accident, the joy we all felt after the championship just disappeared.

October 27 and October 28, 2012.

On Saturday the Tigers lost game 3 of the World Series at home. On Sunday they lost game 4.

On Saturday, Michigan lost to Nebraska and denard got hurt. The backup bellomy was horrendous. At the time Michigan was in decent shape to win their division. That was their first big ten loss. They finished 6-2 and Nebraska finished 7-1.

The lions did beat the Seahawks that Sunday.

May 29, 1996

Wings knocked out by Colorado in Game 6 with Draper smashed into the boards. Avs to go on to an easy finals sweep over Florida while the Wings remained Cup-less in the modern era

Tigers were in the midst of an 18 loss in 19 games stretch on their way to a 109-loss season (although May 29 was the date of their only victory in that period)

The Pistons had weeks earlier been swept out of the 1st round of the playoffs

May 29, 1996

Wings knocked out by Colorado in Game 6 with Draper smashed into the boards. Avs to go on to an easy finals sweep over Florida while the Wings remained Cup-less in the modern era

Tigers were in the midst of an 18 loss in 19 games stretch on their way to a 109-loss season (although May 29 was the date of their only victory in that period)

The Pistons had weeks earlier been swept out of the 1st round of the playoffs

The 2015 Tigers will need the cathartic (metaphorical)Roy/ Lemiuex beat down

It was before my time, but I'll bet October 1, 1967 would have killed me.

October 24, 1971 - Chuck Hughes' fatal heart attack.

November 17, 1991 - Mike Utley is paralyzed.

I'd have to say the limo accident and utley. Tragedies are way worse than a loss.

Having said this, from a pure sports perspective, its the 2006 WS. We don't throw the ball around and actually have more than one player who can hit, we win that running away. That St. Louis team, I believe, is the worst regular season team to ever win a WS, with 83 regular season wins. You can't miss chances like that. They don't come around often enough.

I've always found the losses stick harder than the wins. The feeling that recalling the 84 win gives me isn't quite as strong as the feeling recalling 87.

But I'm also going to say that those pale in comparison to the incidents listed where a player had his life altered in a catastrophic way. I'm no Red Wings fan, but no way any game's result can override something like that happening to a guy, even if you actively cheered against him on the ice.

the Utley and Reggie Brown injuries were not bad sports days. The Utley injury was the beginning of a winning streak that propelled the Lions as far as they had achieved in the Super Bowl era. Mike Utley was very upbeat about his recovery. He didn't need to be in that situation, but he handled it well.

Reggie Brown's injury was a roller coaster. It appeared almost like he had died on the field. I recall that the training staff had a lot of collective experience since the Utley injury that they employed to save Reggie Brown. I also recall the spectacle of Johnnie Morton and Kevin Glover racing the gurney onto the field with a sense of urgency. That happened to be the day that Barry Sanders got his 2000 yards and got the Lions into the playoffs. Reggie eventually walked. i guess it might seem like i'm an apologist for that era of Lions football but neither were as bad ad the Red Wings Limo accident or the Eric Andolsek injury.

the Utley and Reggie Brown injuries were not bad sports days. The Utley injury was the beginning of a winning streak that propelled the Lions as far as they had achieved in the Super Bowl era. Mike Utley was very upbeat about his recovery. He didn't need to be in that situation, but he handled it well.

Reggie Brown's injury was a roller coaster. It appeared almost like he had died on the field. I recall that the training staff had a lot of collective experience since the Utley injury that they employed to save Reggie Brown. I also recall the spectacle of Johnnie Morton and Kevin Glover racing the gurney onto the field with a sense of urgency. That happened to be the day that Barry Sanders got his 2000 yards and got the Lions into the playoffs. Reggie eventually walked. i guess it might seem like i'm an apologist for that era of Lions football but neither were as bad ad the Red Wings Limo accident or the Eric Andolsek injury.

I was at that Lions game. Didn't the also clinch the division with that win? It was very much a roller coaster. One extreme to the other. You could hear a pin drop when Reggie was down.

I was at that Lions game. Didn't the also clinch the division with that win? It was very much a roller coaster. One extreme to the other. You could hear a pin drop when Reggie was down.

I was just watching that video...yeah. It was win and in or lose and out for both teams playing. It was Parcell's first season with the Jets i recall.

To go from that place being screaming loud when Barry broke 2,000, to dead silent on the injury, to screaming loud again when they won... I've never witnessed anything like that. Crazy game.

Another bad one, relatively speaking, was when the Lions lost to Green Bay at home in the playoffs... I still remember the scene. I was delivering pizzas and in my car on a run. Vintage Mark Champion... "Look out Sharpe open.... touchdown"

I have a cousin who was one of the medical professionals that night of the limo accident, she worked on Vladdie. She said at one point they thought it was inevitable that he would die. I believe it because there was one press conference right after where the players looked like they were told he wouldn't make it. Their faces said it all.

I physically moved away from the Detroit/Ann Arbor area almost 30 years ago. I never felt more like I should have also left my sports allegiances behind than I did this weekend.

Does that mean last weekend was the worst sports "day" in Detroit history? Not hardly. As mentioned above, losing out on going to the WS on the last day of the '67 season was pretty gruesome, almost all of the early exits the Wings made from the Cup playoffs were awful days, & it sure was heartbreaking to watch Bo lose so many Rose Bowls.

There were so many other dismal moments. It's too painful to try to remember the WORST. But it could be even worse - we could live in Cleveland. Or anywhere in Ohio (a 4-letter word...)

hehehe

Edited by Fred Merkle