Yoda

2014-15 Off-season Thread

I don't really see Martin as much of an upgrade over Avila. He was good this past year but his bop and slugging percentage career wise are not that different than Avila. Whether Avila is back or not, I think the catcher positions will bring pretty much the same value to the team the past three years.

I see it as a health thing more than trying to upgrade

This could be true. He should retire just for his personal health the rest of his life. I just don't see Martin as much of an upgrade there and that is a hard position to fill.

OPS

Martin: .732, .714, .704, .832

Avila: .895, .736, .693, .686

Avila is trending downward, can't stay healthy and is a liability against left handed pitching. Decline the option and look elsewhere.

I'm on board with letting Avila go and signing Russell Martin.

I'd listen seriously on Price and try to get two starting players in return (an outfielder and stud reliever, preferably). Maybe engage Cincy and try to get Chapman and someone else? Chapman is also entering the final year of his contract. Maybe they throw in Bruce (who has two years left and was terrible this year but has always hit a ton of bombs).

I am hanging onto Kinsler, because even though he is streaky, he is a Gold Glover at 2B and he is more productive offensively than most 2B in baseball.

Iglesias coming back makes the defense much better.

I'm resigning V-Mart no matter what.

I'd love to sign Nori Aoki so that we can finally have one of those annoying guys who always makes contact, never strikes out and always seems to do something positive, despite not having any stats that really jump out at you.

Throw a lot of money at Andrew Miller and David Robertson and sign whoever takes it first.

Edited by VaBengal

You can't justify to me bringing Avila back and trying to be a legit World Series contender. His health is a MAJOR concern, he has gotten worse every year in the majors and he is absolutely terrible against left handed pitching.

I'm pleased Miller grew up and found success. Mainly I am pleased he learned he needed a team to support him. Much different than his gig with the minor league Tigers.

OPS

Avila is trending downward, can't stay healthy and is a liability against left handed pitching. Decline the option and look elsewhere.

I am not arguing for Avila here. I am just saying don't expect Martin to be an upgrade. Last year was more than likely an outlier.

I'm on board with letting Avila go and signing Russell Martin.

I'd listen seriously on Price and try to get two starting players in return (an outfielder and stud reliever, preferably). Maybe engage Cincy and try to get Chapman and someone else? Chapman is also entering the final year of his contract. Maybe they throw in Bruce (who has two years left and was terrible this year but has always hit a ton of bombs).

I am hanging onto Kinsler, because even though he is streaky, he is a Gold Glover at 2B and he is more productive offensively than most 2B in baseball.

Iglesias coming back makes the defense much better.

I'm resigning V-Mart no matter what.

Throw a lot of money at Andrew Miller and David Robertson and sign whoever takes it first.

Price to me is an ace who will age well. I would be hesitant to deal him if he is willing to sign here long term. At least we will be able to maintain a solid one-two punch with Price and Sanchez (if he can ever stay healthy).

OPS

I think it would be astounding if Alex could be a full-time catcher. There were flashes when he had an offensive game this year but then he'd be dinged and he'd be off for 5 days. That isn't getting better.

I think you have to consider trading Castellanos then....

Agree. It's critical that they make a sound judgment about whether they think his ceiling at 3b is acceptable for a winning team right now and if they have to move him, do it while he can still be sold with 'potential' as his selling point.

Here are some free agent names I'm interested in:

Russel Martin

Geovany Soto

Billy Butler

Hanley Ramirez

Pablo Sandoval

Melky Cabrera

Nelson Cruz

Denard Span

Nick Markakis

Alex Rios

Jon Lester

Brandon McCarthy

Jake Peavy

James Shields

David Robertson

Luke Gregerson

Andrew Miller

Some of them have options that will probably be picked up. Think it would be nice to grab a few of these guys.

Does anyone have a .GIF of the don kelly play at second base? that's better than the prince belly flop last year. I'd like to play it all winter to remember why he's such an astounding baseball player that HAS to be on this team.....

In general, I would choose defense if we are looking at everyday players. Unless a bad defender has a huge hit tool where you can live with crappy defense, choose defense to start. You have to be better at run prevention overall.

Bullpen fixing especially from within the org, has to be done on a more macro scale. Until Dombrowski thinks there is a problem, he won't know how to fix it. Or maybe they can get lucky with a few young guys. Hard to tell.

Price to me is an ace who will age well. I would be hesitant to deal him if he is willing to sign here long term. At least we will be able to maintain a solid one-two punch with Price and Sanchez (if he can ever stay healthy).

I also think Price will age well compared to other pitchers. He has that tall, lanky pitcher's frame, he keeps himself in fantastic shape, and most encouraging, his main secondary pitch is a change-up, which is better on your arm than a slider. I'd rather sign him long-term than Scherzer. I also like his attitude.

In general, I would choose defense if we are looking at everyday players. Unless a bad defender has a huge hit tool where you can live with crappy defense, choose defense to start. You have to be better at run prevention overall.

Bullpen fixing especially from within the org, has to be done on a more macro scale. Until Dombrowski thinks there is a problem, he won't know how to fix it. Or maybe they can get lucky with a few young guys. Hard to tell.

If he doesn't see a problem after what happened in Boston last year and in Baltimore this year, he's fricken blind. Which I don't think is the case. I simply question his ability to build a real, sound, big league bullpen

Nelson Cruz would be a good replacement for Torii Hunter, but he'll probably be pretty expensive.

If he doesn't see a problem after what happened in Boston last year and in Baltimore this year, he's fricken blind. Which I don't think is the case. I simply question his ability to build a real, sound, big league bullpen

He knew there was a problem after Boston. The team went from guys that lived on doubles and HR to a team that was a bit more aggressive on the bases. He went about fixing the pen all wrong by letting good pitchers (Benoit) go and keeping bad pitchers (Coke). On the topic of a faster team, DD went for fast guys but not necessarily guys that could get on base/defend. I mean, there was Kinsler but not much else outside of him.

In typical Tigers fashion, I suspect we will see a move very soon regarding VMart. And I expect him to re-sign.

Does anyone have a .GIF of the don kelly play at second base? that's better than the prince belly flop last year. I'd like to play it all winter to remember why he's such an astounding baseball player that HAS to be on this team.....

The defender stood on Kelly and wouldn't allow him to get back...hater

The Royals and O's show you don't need a bunch of stars. Bullpen and defense reign supreme in October.

I hate Nelson Cruz more than I have ever hated any other player in baseball. If he ends up as a Tiger, I will vomit. I wish this assclown nothing but the worst. I hope he suffers a career-ending injury in the ALCS.

I wonder if the Tigers broke even this year. I read something a few years ago suggesting they were built to be profitable only after a deep run in the playoffs. We only got one playoff home game in this year...no better than losing the Wild Card at home.

I hate Nelson Cruz more than I have ever hated any other player in baseball. If he ends up as a Tiger, I will vomit. I wish this assclown nothing but the worst. I hope he suffers a career-ending injury in the ALCS.

This is pretty irrational. If he's a Tiger, he can't kill us anymore. I'm sure after a few HR's you'd get over it.

Also the injury comment probably makes you a bigger assclown than him. Just saying.

The Royals and O's show you don't need a bunch of stars. Bullpen and defense reign supreme in October.

So two series are more telling than the entire history of baseball? Seemed like the world series last year featured two offense-heavy teams if I'm not mistaken.

This is pretty irrational. If he's a Tiger, he can't kill us anymore..

Isn't that what we said about Joe Nathan? :classic:

Isn't that what we said about Joe Nathan? :classic:

Funny, I was thinking that as I typed it.