Yoda

2014-15 Off-season Thread

ANYTHING could happen. I just do not want to be banking on that. What are the chances he gets his velocity back? The other option is he learns to be an ace pitcher with lesser velocity. I think both are unlikely and he tops out as a #2 on an decent team but more likely a #3 or 4 on a good team.

See it's this thinking I don't get. Plenty of pitchers with verlander's skill set have either bounced back or figured it out. But for him it's unlikely? Why don't we give him a chance -- given everything he's done for us -- before we start painting with broad brushstrokes?

Position wise they need a CF who can ++ defense.

Avila I fear is done; Russel Martin would cost a pick but would be worth it IMO.

If Max is not back (I actually think he will be), sign Shields, or Lester, or another high end starter, there will be a lot to choose from

The Royals will lose Shields and not spend the $ to replace him.

The Tigers will be favorites to win the division in 2015

Don't the Royals have two elite defensive center fielders? Would something like Porcello for Jarrod Dyson be a fair trade? I really have no idea. Royals would probably not want a player that expensive anyways for Dyson.

Don't the Royals have two elite defensive center fielders? Would something like Porcello for Jarrod Dyson be a fair trade? I really have no idea. Royals would probably not want a player that expensive anyways for Dyson.

That would be great. Then we could hear Jim Price call him "Gerard Dotson" 150 times a year instead of 15-18.

See it's this thinking I don't get. Plenty of pitchers with verlander's skill set have either bounced back or figured it out. But for him it's unlikely? Why don't we give him a chance -- given everything he's done for us -- before we start painting with broad brushstrokes?

How many of those pitchers dominated with upper 90's stuff before an injury? If you can name a bunch, please do because it would give me some hope.

How many of those pitchers dominated with upper 90's stuff before an injury? If you can name a bunch, please do because it would give me some hope.

Roger Clemens and Tom Seaver two that come to mind. And plenty of pitchers have reinvented themselves. So again I ask why don't we give Verladner some benefit before we declare the rest of his deal awful?

Roger Clemens and Tom Seaver two that come to mind. And plenty of pitchers have reinvented themselves. So again I ask why don't we give Verladner some benefit before we declare the rest of his deal awful?

Clemens was on PHD's. And two or even 10 in 30 years does not give me much hope. Felix Hernandez has re-invented himself to a degree but he never had the velocity that Verlander did and has always had that great change up.

I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt but we need to be realists as well. He has given up a lot of base runners the last two years with a dominant post season in the middle. He will be 32 at the beginning of next year. What are the most likely outcomes here?

We are likely stuck with him at this point either way...that should tell you what the most likely outcomes are in and of itself. Just have to hope for the best. He will likely be vastly overpaid but can still be a lot of value to this team. I do think you can look at him as possible reliever though. To me, a dominant reliever can bring more value than a decent number three starter. And they typically can pitch at a high level later into their careers than starters can.

I don't think its a given that Avila's back. I don't know how many more direct shots to the head he can keep taking before he says enough is enough or, rather, is told by doctors to hang it up.

Either way, they need a better backup plan than Holaday. I expect them to acquire one of the light hitting, great fielding CF's who will likely be available (ex. Jackie Bradley Jr). They'll also need another corner OF to provide depth rather than relying on Dirks again. I guess Castellanos will be allowed to stay at 3B and Iglesias will be back at SS. V Mart could be re-signed and then they could sign one or two BP pieces. Maybe there is an outside shot they sign Scherzer and then trade Porcello for bullpen pieces, but that seems like a long shot.

I absolutely agree with this. Decline the option and let him walk. He is damaged goods with the concussions. I would like to see them invest in Russell Martin with the money freed up by Hunter's expiring contract. McCann can be the backup and Holaday catches regularly in AAA and can come up in September.

Clemens has never been accuse of having a PhD.

Haha...sorry. PED's.

We can save 5.5 million by declining Avila's option and letting him walk. He is damaged goods with the concussions and they need to upgrade.

But I doubt they will. They'll bring him back and expect different results. Can't keep bringing the same guys back and expecting things to change in October.

First and foremost the, Tigers need to improve their defense. I think their poor fielding made their whole pitching staff look worse than it really was. Iglesias getting healthy would be a good start. They need a better bullpen of course, but that's pretty hard to do because it's such a crap shoot and it's not something that DD has been good at.

I think you have to consider trading Castellanos then. I think he is going to be a middle of the order bat someday but pretty much anybody you listen to believe he is not going to be a good defensive third baseman. The Pirates might match up as a trade partner here. They have three athletic young outfielders with a 4th coming up in their system who is not more than a year or two away. And that does not even count Travis Snider. I believe they could use a first baseman like Castellanos. Not sure if he is enough to get Marte or Polanco but I don't think it is far off. It leaves a hole at third for us but fills a hole in the outfield and would very likely be a big improvement defensively.

Need:

- Starting pitcher (Ray will not cut it)

- Lot of relievers (Nathan will be back, hopefully they pick up Soria's option)

- CF (I'll take defense first)

- LF/RF whatever JD doesn't do (I'd like Melky pls)

- couple of bench bats

- DH?

I'd give V Mart 3 years if he wants it honestly. Even if it sucks in the third year we need him next year and in 2016.

Sign Martin and let Avila go. Let McCann be the backup

Trade for Jackie Bradley and let Hunter go. Move JD to right and let Dirks and Davis platoon in left.

Do whatever it takes to keep V-Mart.

Find a 5th starter and let Max leave.

Let Joba and Coke go and get Andrew Miller. Pray Nathan and Soria rebound. Maybe get another arm out there but Rondon's return will be huge.

Avila is done. If he comes back, he's stupid. All he needs to do is to look at Bill Freehan to understand what he might look like in his late 60s/early 70s from all these hits. It's not pretty. He needs to stop now before he completely ruins his future, and the tigers know it. He was too dumb to change his equipment (and the tigers were negligent to not demand it). So here we sit, with a catcher who is a china doll. He doesn't hit a lick anyway, but it's unfortunate his career is likely over. He could have been a better hitter with a decent hitting coach and some discipline. The last few years...he just appears to be in a fog at the plate. Maybe he really has been in a fog.

As for the others, I think David Price will be back, as will Cabrera. And Iglesias will be our starting shortstop. Beyond that, I think virtually anyone is fair game. Even players like JD and Castellanos. If you can improve your team with them, you do it in a minute. The fact that Fielder was traded means anything can happen. And yes, I'm looking at you, JV....

Let Joba and Coke go and get Andrew Miller. Pray Nathan and Soria rebound. Maybe get another arm out there but Rondon's return will be huge.

I think Soria's struggles were mostly due to Ausmus never using him

I don't really see Martin as much of an upgrade over Avila. He was good this past year but his bop and slugging percentage career wise are not that different than Avila. Whether Avila is back or not, I think the catcher positions will bring pretty much the same value to the team the past three years.

I think Soria's struggles were mostly due to Ausmus never using him

I doubt this. I mean he lost 4mph and rarely found the zone.

Scherzer is an easy decision IMO. You let him walk for the money he will command. V-Mart is not such an easy decision. We need to bring him back but how much do you want to overpay a 36 year old DH/1B coming off a career year?

I actually think this will make his price pretty reasonable. A lot of teams are going to bet on this being his peak season, and not offer up a ton for Victor.

I don't really see Martin as much of an upgrade over Avila. He was good this past year but his bop and slugging percentage career wise are not that different than Avila. Whether Avila is back or not, I think the catcher positions will bring pretty much the same value to the team the past three years.

Avila is damaged goods. With his concussion history now, he could legitimately be just one foul tip away from never catching again.

I doubt this. I mean he lost 4mph and rarely found the zone.

So do you think it was the injury? He was great for Texas. He seems like he is a good bounce back candidate to me.

Avila is damaged goods. With his concussion history now, he could legitimately be just one foul tip away from never catching again.

This could be true. He should retire just for his personal health the rest of his life. I just don't see Martin as much of an upgrade there and that is a hard position to fill.

So do you think it was the injury? He was great for Texas. He seems like he is a good bounce back candidate to me.

Agreed. And Rondon should be back.

I agree. I think it was a combination of injury/new team/trying to do too much. I'd put Soria back in the pen. And Al AL.

Other than that. Sign Miller, Sign Robertson. Sign another RHP. And then let the rest fight it out.

I actually think this will make his price pretty reasonable. A lot of teams are going to bet on this being his peak season, and not offer up a ton for Victor.

I doubt this. I think he will get close to 20 million a year coming off an MVP season.