Yoda

2014-15 Off-season Thread

I would rather have the Marlins rumor become reality rather than the Boston one. I believe it was Cishek (RP), Alvarez (SP) and Ozuna (CF) for Price or Porcello. This would take care of all of our issues if we also signed Miller (RP).

I trust the Tigers in evaluating starting pitching. If they really like a guy like McCarthy or Santana for the next 4 or so years more than Porcello, then it could make sense. If they don't, I'd rather they (in theory) just keep it simple and sign a Melky or a Markakis, guys who would cost the same.

EDIT: I'm also not sure what you see in Workman. Doesn't seem to have great stuff or major league results, why should I think he's any better than Lobstein?

Workman's not that great. A little better, righty version of Lobstein is fair. I'd see him as a long reliever and 6th starter, giving both our pen and rotation some depth that would be needed in this situation. He seems like the classic guy who could really step it up as a reliever. Pretty solid minor league stats as a starter too. I don't think there's a huge gap in trade value between Cespedes and Porcello(both 3 win players really), so its not like you are going to get a stud prospect.

Signing Santana would be interesting. He can chew innings and might come cheaper than a Porcello extension. He wants that long term deal after failing to get it last year. I think there's a decent chance Masterson can replicate Porcello's production too.

I would rather have the Marlins rumor become reality rather than the Boston one. I believe it was Cishek (RP), Alvarez (SP) and Ozuna (CF) for Price or Porcello. This would take care of all of our issues if we also signed Miller (RP).

Lol, you might get one of those guys.

I'd only take Markakis if he became a great value, which doesn't seem likely at this point. He's basically just Matt Joyce, so go get him instead. Joyce is a little more needing of a platoon though.

I'd only take Markakis if he became a great value, which doesn't seem likely at this point. He's basically just Matt Joyce, so go get him instead. Joyce is a little more needing of a platoon though.

Joyce would cost the Tigers a decent prospect. I'd rather give up Ilitch's money (if he's willing to spend) than a player.

At what cost?

Money. I think McCarthy will cost a good bit more than him, for example.

If Baltimore is backing of 4/$48M minus the hometown discount or whatever and looking elsewhere, as is the rumor, I'd assume it's less than that. I think he'd be a good guy at 4/$40M. He's a 2-3 WAR player to me once you realize his UZR numbers are probably bunk. And because his value is contact driven and not ISO driven, I think he'll age well from 32-35. Plus he'd fit perfectly in front of Miggy/VMart/JD.

I don't think the Tigers are going to spend money like that, but if the options are McCarthy/etc. + Cespedes vs. Porcello + Markakis/etc., I'd go with that latter option all day.

I don't think the Tigers are going to spend money like that, but if the options are McCarthy/etc. + Cespedes vs. Porcello + Markakis/etc., I'd go with that latter option all day.

I would go with the former all day. Now what?

Joyce would cost the Tigers a decent prospect. I'd rather give up Ilitch's money (if he's willing to spend) than a player.

I think that's poor asset management, though it depends on the prospect. Then again, Collins might be able to match either one.

I think that's poor asset management, though it depends on the prospect. Then again, Collins might be able to match either one.

If they are willing to increase their payroll to include Markakis, then I will always support that as a fan. If they aren't increasing payroll then it's a different question. I don't know what they plan to do with payroll as Ilitch seems to operate differently from other owners, so I'm not going to assume they have reached some limit.

Justify your opinion or refute mine.

His well known irrational hate of Porcello isn't good enough?

I don't think Kate Upton will age well...I see a huge weight gain in her 30's.

I think it will happen sooner than that.

Justify your opinion or refute mine.

Now what fun is that?

But seriously. Cespedes is 2 years younger and a better fielder. Porcello has been around for 6 years or so now, on a team that continually makes the playoffs. Yet how many games has he started in the playoffs? He peters out by years end.

So the question for me is, does a McCarthy type plus Cespedes help keep us in the playoffs. My conclusion is yes. And I value Cespedes over Markakis, because in the playoffs, that's most likely the only ones who will be playing. Porcello is a good 5th starter for a regular season team. But I don't think his subtraction causes the tigers to miss the playoffs.

His well known irrational hate of Porcello isn't good enough?

Oh Walt, you know me so well.

I don't think Kate Upton will age well...I see a huge weight gain in her 30's.

is she pregnant?

Blue Jays-Official ‏@BlueJays 3m

The @BlueJays have agreed to terms with CF Ezequiel Carrera on a minor league deal with an invite to Major League Spring Training

Oh Walt, you know me so well.

If it is a secret, it is not well kept. :)

So the Blue Jays picked up and then dropped one of our OF castoffs in order to pick up another one, sort of? Seems like a quality plan.