Yoda

2014-15 Off-season Thread

Do we make an offer to Scherzer? Can we afford to resign Victor when he'll probably get 3 years? Will Torii Hunter be back? Can we possibly be a better team next year based on payroll restrictions? Is trading Kinsler the best option for improving?

All this and more in the next 4 months.

1) Scherzer is gone. Use the #1 draft pick well. Price is the new ace.

2) I would like to keep Victor, but if he gets 3 years, enjoy the #1 pick.

3) Bye Torii.

4) Sign Nelson Cruz, just to get him away from playing us. DH if Victor leaves.

5) find a defense first CF and let Jd and Nelson carry him offensively.

6) new bullpen. Like everyone should be gone. Is there a single one anyone wants next year.

7)if Avila suffered a concusion, I can't imagine he keeps playing.

8) need a back up plan for SS should Iggy have problems.

9)maybe have someone on your bench besides Herman Perez.

Edited by darko31

6) new bullpen. Like everyone should be gone. Is there a single one anyone wants next year.

If Good Hardy was real and Bad Hardy was an aberration, I'd probably like him back. Otherwise, no.

Lock Price up long term and don't overpay for Scherzer. Trade Verlander if you can.

I don't want Kinsler as a one or two hitter next year either. OBP is way too low for what we have going for us in the middle of the lineup. He should be hitting 7th or 8th.

I think Dave Dombrowski had a lot of bad luck this season. that should correct itself. Er, he should correct that with some better trades.

Do we make an offer to Scherzer? Can we afford to resign Victor when he'll probably get 3 years? Will Torii Hunter be back? Can we possibly be a better team next year based on payroll restrictions? Is trading Kinsler the best option for improving?

All this and more in the next 4 months.

This is where I feel people aren't looking at the facts. Max is off the books, Victor is off the books, Torii gone, Nathan retiring takes more.

We have 98 million in payroll obligations. We started this year with 163 million. That leaves us 70 million (not including the 10 from Joe's retirement)! Even if you want to give a high number of $40 million to price and arbitration that still leaves $30 million. That's a ton of money in an offseason.

Will McCann likely be the starter next season, or is there a good FA/trade target? I like Avila, but I don't know that he can start any more. Too bad his bat isn't better or he could maybe be a backup and a much-desired bat off the bench.

This is where I feel people aren't looking at the facts. Max is off the books, Victor is off the books, Torii gone, Nathan retiring takes more.

We have 98 million in payroll obligations. We started this year with 163 million. That leaves us 70 million (not including the 10 from Joe's retirement)! Even if you want to give a high number of $40 million to price and arbitration that still leaves $30 million. That's a ton of money in an offseason.

Is Nathan retiring a thing we're expecting to happen? I missed that.

Still, you have to replace our MVP in Victor, right field in a weak market, and our best starting pitcher (possibly also a #5 if the internal candidates aren't ready.) Plus the entire bullpen

That's a ton of need, and in spots that will be very competitive.

They have around $104 million committed assuming they pick up Avila's option. But, Price will cost around $20 million and Porcello will cost around $11 million and Dirks, Kelly, Al Al and Iglesias are all eligible for arbitration and will make between $1 to $2 million. Given that and the other minimum salaries to fill out the roster, they have about $145 million committed for next season already +- a few million.

So, based off the payroll this year, they should have about $25 million to play with. V Mart would take up quite a bit of that if he's re-signed.

Rotation

---------

Price

Verlander

Sanchez

Porcello

Lobstein

Pen

-----

Nathan

Soria

Hardy

AlAl

?????

?????

?????

C McCann/Avila

1B Miggy

2B Kinsler

SS Iglesias

3B Castellanos

LF Davis/Dirks

CF ??????

RF JD

DH Victor

Avila

Dirks

Suarez

???? Preferably a young speedy type OF.

If Dirks doesn't sound like he's going to be ready then look for some LH power for his spot.

You shed Scherzer, Hunter & Coke's money. Pay Victor again. Leaves a little flexibility at the deadline.

The team gets a little cheaper and a little younger.

First and foremost the, Tigers need to improve their defense. I think their poor fielding made their whole pitching staff look worse than it really was. Iglesias getting healthy would be a good start. They need a better bullpen of course, but that's pretty hard to do because it's such a crap shoot and it's not something that DD has been good at.

They have around $104 million committed assuming they pick up Avila's option. But, Price will cost around $20 million and Porcello will cost around $11 million and Dirks, Kelly, Al Al and Iglesias are all eligible for arbitration and will make between $1 to $2 million. Given that and the other minimum salaries to fill out the roster, they have about $145 million committed for next season already +- a few million.

So, based off the payroll this year, they should have about $25 million to play with. V Mart would take up quite a bit of that if he's re-signed.

The Nathan thing was just my guess. He seems like he's done and didn't enjoy his time here. But, as you point out jsut simple math still gives us $25 million. Even if Victor gets a three year deal you backload it. So let's say he takes $10 of that $25 million. That still leaves $15 million to sign a couple bullpen guys and one other guy to build some depth. Then you Porcello you can move as well as one of Ingelisas/Suraez/Nick C to get a CF.

I'd don't think payroll is going to be a big hinderance on making moves.

I can't see Avila as a starter any further after this...concussions are cumulative.

Bruce Rondon should be back and healthy next year, yes?

If JV can be good JV again, we can absorb the loss of Scherzer. But if he's bad again, our starting rotation is looking awfully meager.

If JV can be good JV again, we can absorb the loss of Scherzer. But if he's bad again, our starting rotation is looking awfully meager.

On paper Verlander, Price, Sanchez is still better than anything then Baltimore has, yet they just dominated us. Sometimes it's just a luck thing too.

What will be interesting is what coaches are let go (because I don't think Ausmus gets canned). But, I could see Jeff Jones, Dave Clark 5 and the bullpen coach all getting the heave.

Verlander at $30 million the next fivers is disgusting. We are looking at a #3 starter now. I just cross my fingers that the Dodgers lose to the Cardinals and do something desperate to take him off our hands. That would make the future a lot brighter.

Verlander at $30 million the next fivers is disgusting. We are looking at a #3 starter now. I just cross my fingers that the Dodgers lose to the Cardinals and do something desperate to take him off our hands. That would make the future a lot brighter.

cause there is no way a year from surgery he could improve?

Scherzer is an easy decision IMO. You let him walk for the money he will command. V-Mart is not such an easy decision. We need to bring him back but how much do you want to overpay a 36 year old DH/1B coming off a career year?

I think with his surgery it's middle of the season at best.

cause there is no way a year from surgery he could improve?

ANYTHING could happen. I just do not want to be banking on that. What are the chances he gets his velocity back? The other option is he learns to be an ace pitcher with lesser velocity. I think both are unlikely and he tops out as a #2 on an decent team but more likely a #3 or 4 on a good team.

Position wise they need a CF who can ++ defense.

Avila I fear is done; Russel Martin would cost a pick but would be worth it IMO.

If Max is not back (I actually think he will be), sign Shields, or Lester, or another high end starter, there will be a lot to choose from

The Royals will lose Shields and not spend the $ to replace him.

The Tigers will be favorites to win the division in 2015

I don't think its a given that Avila's back. I don't know how many more direct shots to the head he can keep taking before he says enough is enough or, rather, is told by doctors to hang it up.

Either way, they need a better backup plan than Holaday. I expect them to acquire one of the light hitting, great fielding CF's who will likely be available (ex. Jackie Bradley Jr). They'll also need another corner OF to provide depth rather than relying on Dirks again. I guess Castellanos will be allowed to stay at 3B and Iglesias will be back at SS. V Mart could be re-signed and then they could sign one or two BP pieces. Maybe there is an outside shot they sign Scherzer and then trade Porcello for bullpen pieces, but that seems like a long shot.