ROMAD1

The Next AD

The Board of Regents can't actually fire either of them, they can only make a recommendation.

The Board of Regents can't actually fire either of them, they can only make a recommendation.

Yes, that is in the article

Sort of like Nixon couldn't fire Achibald Cox.

She's just bitter that Brandon worked for Domino's.

I'm pretty sure she could care less. She isn't exactly the golden child of the Ilitch family....

I'm pretty sure she could care less. She isn't exactly the golden child of the Ilitch family....

Maybe the only relevant thing to Brandon having worked for Domino's is that as a competitor, the Ilitchs probably know more about Brandon and how he operated at Domino's and his strength/weaknesses, idiosyncracies etc just because most corps make a serious effort to keep track what the top people in the rest of their industry are doing.

Reading her wiki bio...it reads like someone who was born into responsibility and has a lot of degrees. Those would be easy to accomplish if you had money. Is there more to the story about her being not so wonderful? I read about her marriage to Tom Lites and his subsequent heading out of town after his divorce. That poor bastard.

This will tell us stuff we already could guess

What The Michigan Regents Meeting Means For Dave Brandon

Not much on the surface, the Board of Regents cannot fire Dave Brandon. The comments by Denise Illitch were for show.

The Regents can recommend he be terminated, but that won’t even come up at the meeting.

Getting Dave Brandon fired is a huge political game. Brandon is a conservative Republican, there are only two conservatives on the Board of Regents, the other six are liberal Democrats who haven’t “wanted” Dave Brandon as the AD for a long time. As long as he did a good job he was able to fight the liberals off, as the football program has descended in chaos, he basically handed the Regents the gun to shoot him over his recent antics including the Shane Morris debacle.

While the Board screws around and showboats, the decision on Dave Brandon’s future is in the President’s hands.

I’m told the decision to let Brandon go is near and the President and the AD are already working on an exit strategy. I also know that Michigan has already begun the search process for a new AD, the three names on everybody’s tongue are Brad Bates at BC, Jeff Long at Arkansas and Ward Manuel at Uconn. Joe Parker is a dark horse, but a viable candidate. I don’t expect anything this week, but in the coming couple of weeks there will be movement in the Dave Brandon Saga.

Reading her wiki bio...it reads like someone who was born into responsibility and has a lot of degrees. Those would be easy to accomplish if you had money. Is there more to the story about her being not so wonderful? I read about her marriage to Tom Lites and his subsequent heading out of town after his divorce. That poor bastard.

During her time sharing duties with brother Chris in the front office she had a reputation of being a very demanding pushy person, even with her partners. She alienated quite a few people.

Remember Todd Jones quote about the kids running the front office? He wa gone (for the first time) shortly afterward.

During her time sharing duties with brother Chris in the front office she had a reputation of being a very demanding pushy person, even with her partners. She alienated quite a few people.

Remember Todd Jones quote about the kids running the front office? He wa gone (for the first time) shortly afterward.

She was going to (rumored) run Dave Dombrowski out of town? She would make a fine governor of the fair state of Michigan.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/13901-denise-jim-do-not-like-d-d.html

Interesting thread.

Wonder how the regents meeting went today...

There was one funny (to me at least) thing. Schlissel outlined four objectives for his review of athletics - the fourth relating to divisions on campus over sports. Somebody should tell him that at least that one is part of the tradition going back even before Bo and he shouldn't expect it to go away. There has always been a segment of the academic community here that almost prides itself on not caring about varsity sports - and that's OK in an institution like this - one set of values among many. I hope Schlissel never gets to where he thinks that is a bad thing. In fact I actually hope I'm never treated to the spectacle of the faculty senate and the staff from Schembechler Hall singing Kumbayah together - the tension is a useful one.

I will be shocked if Brandon is not fired in a week or two. Even if Schlissel is satisfied with Brandon's performance (which I doubt), he's going to want this issue off his desk, and firing him is the only way to accomplish that.

I watched Schissels' statement. He appears to be doing things in a "correct" manner. The idea that he would roll in and just fire Brandon because of a petition, or because Denise Illitch and Mark Bernstein are running for office, or the record of one team wasn't good wouldn't fly.

The blurb I saw about the word map in the student surveys. Where most of the respondents regarded the football program as a reason they were interested in Michigan in the first place and then labeled it a major disappointment was interesting.

Schissel is extremely intelligent. I think he'll be a great hire in terms of improving arguably the university and community's best asset in the U of M Health System. I think he'll fire Brandon mostly b/c the athletic department has become a complete sideshow and Schissel would rather focus on more important things than Hoke releasing pathetic statements about a tent stake and then the complete negligence that was the handling of Shane Morris and all of the resulting student protests. If he can hire a good AD and that AD hires a good football coach, then things will run on auto pilot and Schissel can just focus on far more important things related to the university for years to come. Otherwise, it just impedes most of his other duties.

Schissel is extremely intelligent. I think he'll be a great hire in terms of improving arguably the university and community's best asset in the U of M Health System. I think he'll fire Brandon mostly b/c the athletic department has become a complete sideshow and Schissel would rather focus on more important things than Hoke releasing pathetic statements about a tent stake and then the complete negligence that was the handling of Shane Morris and all of the resulting student protests. If he can hire a good AD and that AD hires a good football coach, then things will run on auto pilot and Schissel can just focus on far more important things related to the university for years to come. Otherwise, it just impedes most of his other duties.

Spot on Scott.

Do people on his campus care about incremental improvements in the UofM Health System? Are they front and center on the news? I agree with you that he wants this issue to go away so he can focus on his comfort areas. He has devoted considerable time and energy to the AD issue since his arrival. He appears to be doing well at that and we can only hope he's the Alan Mulally of UofM.

[edit: Mulally not Mullally...the latter is a cricketer, the former the savior of my Ford Motor Company stock.]

Do people on his campus care about incremental improvements in the UofM Health System? Are they front and center on the news? I agree with you that he wants this issue to go away so he can focus on his comfort areas. He has devoted considerable time and energy to the AD issue since his arrival. He appears to be doing well at that and we can only hope he's the Alan Mulally of UofM.

[edit: Mulally not Mullally...the latter is a cricketer, the former the savior of my Ford Motor Company stock.]

actaully Romad, there are something like 20000 UM health care system employees alone, if you mulitply 20K by the relevance factor you have about your job versus 100K times that Lfor your football team, those people alone swing the balance. The medical research budget alone is probably bigger than the football TV contract for the whole conference (~a couple hundred million IIRC)

actaully Romad, there are something like 20000 UM health care system employees alone, if you mulitply 20K by the relevance factor you have about your job versus 100K times that Lfor your football team, those people alone swing the balance. The medical research budget alone is probably bigger than the football TV contract for the whole conference (~a couple hundred million IIRC)

We never want UofM health system to be as much in the news as the football program. I Got that. I agree.

Now the student surveys reflect the political urgency of the AD issue as well as the angry alumn and donors.

Maybe not on campus, or in the headlines, but in terms of how it impacts people the UM Health System is much more important to the university than the football team. (Full disclosure: My wife works for the new UM/Mid-Michigan Health).

If Schlissel is really asking around, as the above article suggests he is, then he's probably already made up his mind & will let it play out this season & do the deed after the OSU game.