davidsb

10/05/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) vs. Baltimore Orioles (Norris) – 3:45p

Ending the season always sucks, but the team this year wasn't the best team in baseball or even one of the 3 or 4 best so its a bit easier to take than last year. They were right there with Boston and St Louis last year. On the other hand, it would be really frustrating to be an Angels fan. That's basically a 100 win team and they are on the verge of being swept by the Royals.

yeah but they missed the playoff last year and have injuries this year, so they can justify it.

Ending the season always sucks, but the team this year wasn't the best team in baseball or even one of the 3 or 4 best so its a bit easier to take than last year. They were right there with Boston and St Louis last year. On the other hand, it would be really frustrating to be an Angels fan. That's basically a 100 win team and they are on the verge of being swept by the Royals.

Yeah, quite a few teams are in for disappointing seasons/post-seasons. LAA, OAK, WSH. Also, the Brewers and Blue Jays blew sizable division leads.

Eh, I don't think so. A complete rebuild of the bullpen is one of the easiest things to do. Our rotation is pretty much set for next year, and we will have to replace VMart and Torii. I actually think VMart will be re-signed.

We'll have Iglesias back, and if we get a decent defensive CF, we should be pretty good up the middle.

If rebuilding the bullpen is the easiest thing to do, why hasn't it happened yet?

You really look at all the deficiencies this team had, and the fact the Royals went 41-23 in their last 64 games, and it's really a miracle they won the division.

If rebuilding the bullpen is the easiest thing to do, why hasn't it happened yet?

cause some of its just dumb luck. If on July 2013, I'd told you that on Oct. 4 2014 our bullpen would have Johnson, Joba, Soria, Nathan, you'd think they would be OK.

Yeah, quite a few teams are in for disappointing seasons/post-seasons. LAA, OAK, WSH. Also, the Brewers and Blue Jays blew sizable division leads.

Yup...Tigers were far from the best team this year. My underlying hope was that since we didnt get the ring when we WERE the best team, maybe we go all the way this year since we aren't the best team :(

cause some of its just dumb luck. If on July 2013, I'd told you that on Oct. 4 2014 our bullpen would have Johnson, Joba, Soria, Nathan, you'd think they would be OK.

Regardless, results is what matters and the bullpen was the bane of this team the last 2 years.

Sucks for the season to end, but I just can't be upset because we played badly for 3 games in a row. When the Tigers do win the World Series, no one will be happier than me, but I won't take it to mean the team was any better or worse than they showed for 162 regular season games.

This team won the division, and in head-to-head games, crushed the team that is about to go to the ALCS. The Tigers were better than the Royals this year. The Royals are hot now. Good timing, congrats to them. I'm not upset.

With that said, the bullpen is obviously a problem that needs to be fixed. We SHOULD have won the division by 10 games, not 1. And maybe that would have made the difference against Baltimore too. But that doesn't matter. Anybody can beat anybody 3 games out of 5.

Last offseason, we signed Nathan, Chamberlain, Harnahan, and traded for Soria midseason. None of those options worked out, but I think we just had really bad luck with that.

It would be nice if our farm system was actually producing guys, but I still think we can find some replacements--either high-level or just some non-tenders.

Last offseason, we signed Nathan, Chamberlain, Harnahan, and traded for Soria midseason. None of those options worked out, but I think we just had really bad luck with that.

It would be nice if our farm system was actually producing guys, but I still think we can find some replacements--either high-level or just some non-tenders.

What's more amazing is our inability to get lucky. Baltimore has crappy Britton, they put him in the closer role and he's lights out. We trade for the best reliever and he forgets how to pitch. You'd think we would get lucky in someway with a bullpen guy.

Congratulations to the better team.

Yup.

We can all ***** and moan about being swept, and we probably should. But take two ridiculous innings away and this is quite a compelling series going into tomorrow's game 4.

And really, when you look at the regular season and analyze stats and look at the make up of each team, Baltimore is just better. Maybe they don't have 3 former Cy Youngs in the starting rotation, but they were the better team, even without Machado and Weiters for much of the season.

Hats off to them, they've earned their spot in the ALCS.

1968 was that special feeling team. Mostly because of what happened in 1967 to the team and city, and for all the late inning comebacks that year. I remember everyone having the feeling that that team was never out of any game. The fans had faith in that team. This year, not so much.

68' team was a really strong starting 8 and the pitching all came together with Wilson having a career year, Lolich hitting stride as a solid starter and McLain still completely dominant. It looked like the makings of a great multiyear run. But Wilson was gone in '69 and never had another season like that anyway, and McLain's breakdown began pretty much with that the World Series.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I'm rooting for whoever wins the NL to win it all. I couldn't stomach a team like KC or Baltimore coming along out of nowhere and winning the World Series that we've been fighting our asses off to win for 9 years. Screw that. I hope the Royals go to the World Series (just because one of them has to, and I'd prefer it be the team that we owned) but I'll be rooting for the Giants or Cardinals (ugh...can't believe I said that). I don't give the Dodgers much chance of getting there. They always lose to the Cardinals.

hindsight 20/20 and all and i don't think ausmus did a bad job this year ... but romine a career and this year 300 plus hitter against left handers, and had a decent finish to the season ... can't see why they pinch hit for him with a guy with 6 at bats the last 3 weeks against a tough pitcher???

I'm rooting for whoever wins the NL to win it all. I couldn't stomach a team like KC or Baltimore coming along out of nowhere and winning the World Series that we've been fighting our asses off to win for 9 years. Screw that. I hope the Royals go to the World Series (just because one of them has to, and I'd prefer it be the team that we owned) but I'll be rooting for the Giants or Cardinals (ugh...can't believe I said that). I don't give the Dodgers much chance of getting there. They always lose to the Cardinals.

Im on the EXACT same page as you.

The Tigers postseason bench was gonna be weak, no matter how it was assembled, but one move that never made sense to me was Perez over Collins.