Motor City Sonics

Michigan fans......If Les, Jim and John are off the table....who do you want?

49ers dropped to 4-4 today and their playoff hopes took a shot in the arm. That is good news if you want Harbaugh as coach.

Gruden might be able to be had. I think he would recruit well. If they could keep mattison it might work.
49ers dropped to 4-4 today and their playoff hopes took a shot in the arm. That is good news if you want Harbaugh as coach.

I think either one of these guys would be able to recruit & develop a QB better.

With Michigan's season over and Hole hopefully (better be) gone shortly, here are 10 realistic candidates I like for the Michigan job. . .

1. Jim Harbaugh

2. Kirby Smart

3. Les Miles

4. Todd Graham

5. Butch Jones

6. Kevin Sumlin (not sure how realistic this is, but I like the guy enough to include him)

7. Pat Narduzzi

8. Greg Roman (assuming Harbaugh stays in SanFran)

9. Jim McElwain (Colorado St. HC and former Nick Saban OC at Bama)

10. Dan Mullen (If I didn't think he was a lock for the Florida job he'd be top 3)

With Michigan's season over and Hole hopefully (better be) gone shortly, here are 10 realistic candidates I like for the Michigan job. . .

1. Jim Harbaugh

2. Kirby Smart

3. Les Miles

4. Todd Graham

5. Butch Jones

6. Kevin Sumlin (not sure how realistic this is, but I like the guy enough to include him)

7. Pat Narduzzi

8. Greg Roman (assuming Harbaugh stays in SanFran)

9. Jim McElwain (Colorado St. HC and former Nick Saban OC at Bama)

10. Dan Mullen (If I didn't think he was a lock for the Florida job he'd be top 3)

I don't see Rod Marinelli on that list.

I don't know if we'll look at Pelini, but I think Nebraska ends up regretting firing him. How many teams fire a coach that gives you 9 wins every year and get better? Do they think they are going to be a NC contender year in and year out with the next guy?

Internets saying that the 9ers are looking to trade Harbaugh for a draft pick. Can you trade between the NCAA and NFL?

Internets saying that the 9ers are looking to trade Harbaugh for a draft pick. Can you trade between the NCAA and NFL?

HaHa. But the 49ers don't have much leverage in trying to trade the last year of Harbaugh's contract to another NFL team - you can't make a guy a coach if he doesn't want to be there and unlike a player for whom a lost year in a career is huge deal if they don't perform, Harbaugh could probably go make 5 million from ESPN on a one year sabatical. If he wants out on his own terms, they can almost certainly keep him from coaching elsewhere in the NFL next year (or at least demand a buyout) but whether they can stop him from coaching in the NCAA next year probably isn't as clear without being able to see the details of his current contract.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think Mullen is the guy to go after. Bringing Mississippi State into national relevance is probably borderline miraculous.

I think Mullen is the guy to go after. Bringing Mississippi State into national relevance is probably borderline miraculous.

I think he is a lock for the Florida job. I'd be shocked if he wasn't the next coach at UF.

I think he is a lock for the Florida job. I'd be shocked if he wasn't the next coach at UF.

I thought Florida wasn't interested in him? Pretty sure I saw a report saying they are not interested in Mullen or Rich Rod.

EDIT:

Big names already being removed from Florida coaching search - CBSSports.com

While those two pulled themselves, ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy tweeted that Arizona's Rich Rodriguez and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, two other names mentioned frequently, will not be among the coaches Florida considers to replace Muschamp.

I think michigan goes the coordinator route before pellini. His next job will be someone's defensive coordinator.

Brian Kelly or more likely, Butch Jones.

Both Midwest guys with state ties and national recruiting experience. Both coached with tough schedules with teams that demanded wins.

Only reservation with Mullen is that he doesn't have a track record of sustained success. Mullen might turn out to be a "gypsy" coach as some say he is always looking for the next job.

What if Michigan kept Hoke (the reason being that he wasn't allowed to fully be the coach under David Brandon, who made many decisions coaches are supposed to make).

We'd see tremendous backlash from the fan base along with some former players. Ticket sales would suffer initially as well.

What if Michigan kept Hoke (the reason being that he wasn't allowed to fully be the coach under David Brandon, who made many decisions coaches are supposed to make).

Brandon isn't the reason Brady didn't win, Brady didn't win because he recriuted to win in 6 years intread of 4 and left his team without an upperclass OLine or competent QB just when he should have known that he wouldn't have have another two years of building time.

His problem was as much strategic thinking and QB evaulation as coaching per se - though based on the inability of this team to execute a lot of the simple special teams stuff, the latter was also a big enough problem.

The only way I see Brady getting another year is a combination of persuading Hackett the underclass talent is really good, AND that they can't get the man they want to replace him this year because his NFL contract has another year to go.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Brandon isn't the reason Brady didn't win, Brady didn't win because he recriuted to win in 6 years intread of 4 and left his team without an upperclass OLine or competent QB just when he should have known that he wouldn't have have another two years of building time.

His problem was as much strategic thinking and QB evaulation as coaching per se - though based on the inability of this team to execute a lot of the simple special teams stuff, the latter was also a big enough problem.

The only way I see Brady getting another year is a combination of persuading Hackett the underclass talent is really good, AND that they can't get the man they want to replace him this year because his NFL contract has another year to go.

Hoke coming back for another year would further validate my perception that this athletic department has no clue.

I can't see how anyone thinks otherwise whether they bring him back or not, but that's just me. This Michigan Man Shiite has got to stop.

Hoke coming back for another year would further validate my perception that this athletic department has no clue.

I can't see how anyone thinks otherwise whether they bring him back or not, but that's just me. This Michigan Man Shiite has got to stop.

I think they are off on the wrong foot with the Hacket interim/maybe-longer/will-stay-long-enough-to-hire-coach/not-clear-if-he-is-in-it-for-the-longhaul crap. You want an AD and FB coach to be a long term team.

I've got a house for sale in Ypsi, I'll offer it to Saban to come to UofM.

I think they are off on the wrong foot with the Hacket interim/maybe-longer/will-stay-long-enough-to-hire-coach/not-clear-if-he-is-in-it-for-the-longhaul crap. You want an AD and FB coach to be a long term team.

Yes, because their athletic department is in shambles.

Don Canham is rolling over in his grave. From Tom Goss and Brian Ellerbe, to Martin and sail boats, to Brandon and Hoke, they've been living off of what canham and schembechler did for the last 20 years. They're going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg unless they fix the football program.

Michigan was down to 3rd in overall football attendance this year. If Hoke comes back, I would expect to see them drop even more.