Motor City Sonics

Michigan fans......If Les, Jim and John are off the table....who do you want?

other than schiano, who was the other option?

I believe the official count was Miles, Schiano, and then RR. There's a lot of backstory about the day Herbstreit "broke the news" of Michigan hiring Miles.

nobody thinks michigan would be able to get dantonio, thats silly.

although a lot seem to think they can get the Nard dog

who is claiming michigan can snap its fingers and get any coach? Not shelton.

You don't think there is a sect of the populous that feels this way? I know shelton (and you and several others in here and elsewhere) don't feel this way.

We'll see how things transpire after the next AD is hired.

You don't think there is a sect of the populous that feels this way? I know shelton (and you and several others in here and elsewhere) don't feel this way.

I think there are always fans of teams that have unrealistic expectations or that ignore reality. That's not unique to Michigan.

I went to a wedding that had a lot of osu fans present, and the best man speech was praising tressel after he had been fired and everyone cheered.

I know that's not the same, but you get what I'm saying.

I think most Michigan fans understand reality, even if there is a vocal minority that doesn't.

I think there are always fans of teams that have unrealistic expectations or that ignore reality. That's not unique to Michigan.

I went to a wedding that had a lot of osu fans present, and the best man speech was praising tressel after he had been fired and everyone cheered.

I know that's not the same, but you get what I'm saying.

No, that makes sense, I get what you are saying.

I think most Michigan fans understand reality, even if there is a vocal minority that doesn't.

I may have the majority & the minority flip flopped inaccurately.

Its crazy. All of the bluster about Rich Rodriguez not being a Michigan man and the Michigan men that are in charge are causing so much turmoil on and off of the football field this season.

I somewhat feel badly for Hoke and agree with the perception that he is probably just in over his head. Now he's in a tough spot because he has to know that this is the end, but there isn't much he can do about it except play the part of trudging along through a lost season.

No, that makes sense, I get what you are saying.

I may have the majority & the minority flip flopped inaccurately.

Its crazy. All of the bluster about Rich Rodriguez not being a Michigan man and the Michigan men that are in charge are causing so much turmoil on and off of the football field this season.

I somewhat feel badly for Hoke and agree with the perception that he is probably just in over his head. Now he's in a tough spot because he has to know that this is the end, but there isn't much he can do about it except play the part of trudging along through a lost season.

If this whole situation has taught Michigan fans anything, it's to finally out to bed the ridiculous notion of needing a coach with a Michigan pedigree. It's one thing to groom a successor and hire from within. Program stability has value to some extent.

I felt bad for richrod. That was truly a case of a 50/50 split among even the most rational fans. You had one group wanting to see it through and giving him credit for his background and success at a big program. And there was the other group that was focusing on wins and losses. I don't think either group was wrong necessarily. I tend to think most of the Michigan man people fell into the latter group.

I've gone on record as being in the former group, but I also understood that at the time he was fired, there was really no other choice. He just had too much going against him by then. I think he could have had success if people got off his back and let him finish building, but that just wasn't the case.

With hoke, there is just one group. No one can muster up a rational reason to support him at this point. He hasn't done anything in the past to justify giving him more time.

I don't think I feel bad for him. He got paid quite well and got a great opportunity. He just couldn't handle it.

Whoever they hire this time around will probably have more support than either RR or hoke had.

I don't quite understand the notion that there are programs out there that qualify as being a top program able to pry away a coach from a successful school.

I don't think I stated that well so let me try to explain.

There are obviously top programs in the country. Ohio State and Alabama and those types. I get it. Michigan is not in that conversation right now.

The "what program is popular" cycle is so ever changing. I mean Alabama was just like Michigan less than a decade ago ( Rich Rodriguez turns down offer from Alabama - USATODAY.com). They had a pretty bad run of head coaches (after Gene Stallings they had a run of 5 head coaches in a row till Saban, although 2 of them really didn't coach), had a tough time getting a new coach, were turned down by some big names, and were VERY fortunate that Saban was interested in the job. I think Ohio State was EXTREMELY smart in their coaching search in 2011. The lateness of Tressel leaving the program helped it. They just advanced Luke Fickell on a head coaching interim basis in early summer, and had a whole season to search for a head coach. They knew they couldn't get anyone to sign on till they found out their punishment from the NCAA, and also knew that the punishment to its current players would cripple their chances of success that season. So ride the storm with an interim and talk to potential coaches throughout the entire process.

Michigan will land a big named coach IMO this time around. As bad as they have been, I don't think any coach looks at that roster and thinks it is a lost cause. A lot of high ceiling, big bodied, young talent on the roster, and I think most coaches would love the chance to coach it up. I'm holding out hope that John Harbaugh feels like he has done everything he wanted to do in the NFL and comes to AA. That would probably help us in keeping Mattison (and his recruits), and gives us a better chance at turning things around in 2 years or less.

Ok, I'll put down my kool aid jammer pouch now! :grin:

Edited by belcherboy

Every fan base has ridiculous fans. As a Buckeye, I would think you would understand that as well as anyone.

I am not an irrational Michigan fan, but the smoke around Harbaugh is starting to get thicker and thicker....

If this whole situation has taught Michigan fans anything, it's to finally out to bed the ridiculous notion of needing a coach with a Michigan pedigree. It's one thing to groom a successor and hire from within. Program stability has value to some extent.

I felt bad for richrod. That was truly a case of a 50/50 split among even the most rational fans. You had one group wanting to see it through and giving him credit for his background and success at a big program. And there was the other group that was focusing on wins and losses. I don't think either group was wrong necessarily. I tend to think most of the Michigan man people fell into the latter group.

I've gone on record as being in the former group, but I also understood that at the time he was fired, there was really no other choice. He just had too much going against him by then. I think he could have had success if people got off his back and let him finish building, but that just wasn't the case.

Michael Rosendork (Rosenberg) at the Detroit Free Press is largely to blame on why there was so much animosity towards Rich Rod. He and a bunch of "Michigan men" alum hated the hire from day one and he made sure to use his pulpit to let their voices be heard loudest and clearest. He was the one after-all that blew the whole practice-gate thing way out of proportion. Rosendork and his cronies inside the university used journalistic sabotage on Rich Rod and made sure the next coach was a Michigan man.

Michael Rosendork (Rosenberg) at the Detroit Free Press is largely to blame on why there was so much animosity towards Rich Rod. He and a bunch of "Michigan men" alum hated the hire from day one and he made sure to use his pulpit to let their voices be heard loudest and clearest. He was the one after-all that blew the whole practice-gate thing way out of proportion. Rosendork and his cronies inside the university used journalistic sabotage on Rich Rod and made sure the next coach was a Michigan man.

Definitely have an issue with getting everyone on campus pulling in the same direction/backbiting. The next coach had better keep any political views quiet or that will cause problems.

Every fan base has ridiculous fans. As a Buckeye, I would think you would understand that as well as anyone.

Its hard to tell with any certainty. We're all idiots.

I am not an irrational Michigan fan, but the smoke around Harbaugh is starting to get thicker and thicker....

As the 49er season crumbles, the chances that Jim Harbaugh could be the next Michigan coach increase, sure. I guess it also depends upon who the new AD is, too.

Michigan should be able to buy Saban a nicer house than he has in Alabama

As the 49er season crumbles, the chances that Jim Harbaugh could be the next Michigan coach increase, sure. I guess it also depends upon who the new AD is, too.

I don't see Jim making the jump from the NFL back to college anytime soon. I think he wants to win a Super Bowl, and would probably have his pick of open NFL coaching jobs in January. I could see John Harbaugh leaving the NFL though. What else does John have to accomplish in the NFL? He won a SB, and had a long run of success. I think he would be much more likely to go to the college world, and team up with his old defensive coordinator at Michigan. Really, if he wanted a job that had the most potential for success, Michigan would be it for him. Mattison would probably stay, and keep most if not all the defensive recruits, and John would probably create a little buzz that might bring in some new players. I don't see much defection from the players/recruits, as John was an NFL coach, running an NFL system, which could train them to become NFL players.

I think John Harbaugh could have them as contenders as early as his first year. Lot's of young players currently playing, and a strong returning defense could see a distinct improvement from the Wolverines in 2015. Especially if he can do something with this offense (that would be a TOUGH task right now).

I still have really good sources at Michigan that tell me Dave Brandon approached Bo Schembechler's family to see if there might be any thing with Bo's DNA on it - so they could work on a possible clone to be head coach. Other than that the top candidate, if Dave Brandon remains, is Josh McDaniels.

Michigan should be able to buy Saban a nicer house than he has in Alabama

Am I alone in wondering why this situation isn't a violation?

Am I alone in wondering why this situation isn't a violation?

IDK, the NCAA has their nose in a lot things, but TBH, I don't know that they would or should care how or what a school pays a coach - as long as it isn't under the table, in which case I'd worry more about the IRS!

IDK, the NCAA has their nose in a lot things, but TBH, I don't know that they would or should care how or what a school pays a coach - as long as it isn't under the table, in which case I'd worry more about the IRS!

Didn't a bunch of boosters pick up the rest of the tab? Seems somewhat of a contradiction in what boosters can & cannot do to help pay for a good football program.

Didn't a bunch of boosters pick up the rest of the tab? Seems somewhat of a contradiction in what boosters can & cannot do to help pay for a good football program.

I don't think there is any restriction on what boosters or anyone else can give to a coach.

The coaches are paid millions, so what the harm in them getting paid more.

I don't think it's a contradiction. You can't give benefits to players. You can give benefits to coaches.

I'm not commenting on the hypocrisy of the NCAA and its schools making money based on the performance of the students. That seems like a different discussion.

I don't think there is any restriction on what boosters or anyone else can give to a coach.

The coaches are paid millions, so what the harm in them getting paid more.

I don't think it's a contradiction. You can't give benefits to players. You can give benefits to coaches.

Agreed.

I'm not commenting on the hypocrisy of the NCAA and its schools making money based on the performance of the students. That seems like a different discussion.

Agreed, and more relative to my poorly articulated comment from above.

The whole NCAA is a walking mess of contradiction.

Someone has to look out for the best interests' of the student-athletes.

The whole NCAA is a walking mess of contradiction.

When I was a student, I had always harbored some notion the NCAA had a certain useful function, but that pretty much ended with the Jamal Crawford episode. Hard to have any good feeling about the org after that.