Motor City Sonics

Michigan fans......If Les, Jim and John are off the table....who do you want?

And Virginia Tech

Yeah, that one sucks. Not quite losing to a FCS school suck, but it does suck.

Yeah, that one sucks. Not quite losing to a FCS school suck, but it does suck.

Sorry man, I had to do it. There's not much joy here in Ann Arbor these days....

Damn, I just apologized for a dig. I'm becoming Hoke'ified.

Sorry man, I had to do it. There's not much joy here in Ann Arbor these days....

Well, take some solace in this: if either MSU or OSU make the four team playoff, it seems incredibly unlikely that either will actually win it.

That's ok, you'll be in better spirits when bowl season arrives. ;)

Well, take some solace in this: if either MSU or OSU make the four team playoff, it seems incredibly unlikely that either will actually win it.

Probably true. Still a long way to go to worry about that, though.

There are plenty of coaches I would want but realistically

Gus Malzahn

Dan Mullen

Mike Gundy

Why would they leave where they are now? This just in (years ago): Michigan is not the destination program that it might have been before for big names. These guys have / have had their programs on track. Why leave that to go work for Brandon? Why leave that to go somewhere that they'd already have two strikes against them because they didn't come from the blood lines of Bo?

Mullen might be one to cash in on his team's recent success. Gundy & Malzahn? No way.

Why would they leave where they are now? This just in (years ago): Michigan is not the destination program that it might have been before for big names. These guys have / have had their programs on track. Why leave that to go work for Brandon? Why leave that to go somewhere that they'd already have two strikes against them because they didn't come from the blood lines of Bo?

Mullen might be one to cash in on his team's recent success. Gundy & Malzahn? No way.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I agree with this post.

I think its possible they may (read: unlikely but possible), but totally impossible if Brandon is still there.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I agree with this post.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to troll, really not trying to be a jerk about this. I just think that the perception of the program by some fans is more favorable than is the realistic perception of the program. Michigan isn't going to pluck successful head coaches from successful programs out of the most successful football conference. It simply isn't going to happen.

Maybe at some point Miles decides to try his craft in Ann Arbor because of his ties. Maybe a Harbaugh tires of the NFL and wants to get back into a college atmosphere. Doubtful, but remotely possible.

Malzhan leaving Auburn for Michigan? Come on.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to troll, really not trying to be a jerk about this. I just think that the perception of the program by some fans is more favorable than is the realistic perception of the program. Michigan isn't going to pluck successful head coaches from successful programs out of the most successful football conference. It simply isn't going to happen.

Maybe at some point Miles decides to try his craft in Ann Arbor because of his ties. Maybe a Harbaugh tires of the NFL and wants to get back into a college atmosphere. Doubtful, but remotely possible.

Malzhan leaving Auburn for Michigan? Come on.

I think you're largely correct, but I do wonder if some of the guys in the SEC West don't want to run that gauntlet to get into the playoff every year. But maybe that's me thinking like an opportunist.

I think its possible they may (read: unlikely but possible), but totally impossible if Brandon is still there.

Brandon has to go for sure. Until then, talk of Malzahn, Mullen, or Gundy are irrelevant. And even once Brandon is replaced, why would Gundy leave his alma mater and T. Boone Pickens' money right now? Why would Malzahn leave one of the most successful programs in the most successful conference to head to Michigan right now?

I think you're largely correct, but I do wonder if some of the guys in the SEC West don't want to run that gauntlet to get into the playoff every year. But maybe that's me thinking like an opportunist.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I could understand a realistic play for Mullen. Mississippi State is going to be a tough place to remain relevant. He doesn't really have too many ties to any location, although this seems to be his longest tenure at 6 years with one school. Michigan would likely be able to trump whatever salary Mississippi State could offer.

Brandon has to go for sure. Until then, talk of Malzahn, Mullen, or Gundy are irrelevant. And even once Brandon is replaced, why would Gundy leave his alma mater and T. Boone Pickens' money right now? Why would Malzahn leave one of the most successful programs in the most successful conference to head to Michigan right now?

I don't see Gundy leaving.

The only reason I could see Malzahn leaving is b/c it would be easier to get into the playoff out of the B1G rather than SEC West. I have no idea if that's even remotely enough to influence that decision.

The only reason I could see Malzahn leaving is b/c it would be easier to get into the playoff out of the B1G rather than SEC West. I have no idea if that's even remotely enough to influence that decision.

The flip side to that is that its easier to get top recruits to the SEC than it is to the B1G. And once the playoffs are expanded to 8 teams, being in the SEC West isn't as much of a barrier as it is a solid recommendation.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I could understand a realistic play for Mullen. Mississippi State is going to be a tough place to remain relevant. He doesn't really have too many ties to any location, although this seems to be his longest tenure at 6 years with one school. Michigan would likely be able to trump whatever salary Mississippi State could offer.

Mullen also coached under Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida. It wouldn't exactly be like Bo & Woody, but it'd still make for a pretty darn good storyline.

I don't quite understand the notion that there are programs out there that qualify as being a top program able to pry away a coach from a successful school.

I don't think I stated that well so let me try to explain.

There are obviously top programs in the country. Ohio State and Alabama and those types. I get it. Michigan is not in that conversation right now.

But what I'm talking about are the programs that end up with coaching vacancies. It's rare. It happens for a few different reasons. For small schools that are never competitive, it doesn't really matter. You hire and fire every four years or so looking to strike gold, and you are never playing in the big boy pool. Your job opening is not in the news. Disregard these.

Then you've got good teams with good coaches that get hired into the NFL. This is rare. Carroll left USC for Seattle when sanctions were coming. Harbaugh left Stanford. USC added kiffin and he was awful. Stanford hired david shaw. Whatever.

Then you've got the rare case where osu was forced to fire a great coach and urban Meyer happened to be available. Osu could have gotten anyone. USC and Stanford could have gotten anyone.

Then, you've got the historically good programs that fell on hard times. Notre dame hired Ty willingham, then Weiss, then finally Brian kelly.

USC hired who, sarkisian? Woohoo.

Ucla hired mora. Whatever.

Psu hired bill obrien and then vandy's coach.

These are all name programs and none of them were getting a top college coach.

I think Michigan is in the same boat. It's still a name program. It has been bad for a while now. But there isn't anything unique about their situation relative to other big programs that started sucking and had to settle for the best of what they could get.

Good college coaches at good programs don't leave for other programs. Period.

If you are a big program, which Michigan still is, you are going to be limited to looking at the best guys from various second division schools. Like bottom half schools in power five conferences.

Mullen is probably the best guy they could get. Maybe miles or harbaugh could be enticed with enough money if they decide to fall back on some nostalgia, but I wouldn't count on it.

Gundy? Maybe. They will always be second fiddle to big Oklahoma, not to mention texas and Nebraska and Texas AM for recruiting.

Malzahn? No way in hell. He's gone as high as possible.

Michigan is still a top program nationally when it comes to reputation and awareness. There is a reason that their horrible status remains national news.

If you can win at Michigan the way you won at okst or miss st, it would be a much bigger deal.

Gundy? Maybe. They will always be second fiddle to big Oklahoma, not to mention texas and Nebraska and Texas AM for recruiting.

So by this theory, Dantonio is in play as well. Right?

So by this theory, Dantonio is in play as well. Right?

I think if texas or USC came calling, he'd listen.

I think if texas or USC came calling, he'd listen.

Why not Michigan? Sure, the circumstances of hiring a rival make it awfully tough. But, when you're big brother and have all of the better toys, isn't that a move Michigan can make?

Why not Michigan? Sure, the circumstances of hiring a rival make it awfully tough. But, when you're big brother and have all of the better toys, isn't that a move Michigan can make?

You know the answer to your question.

Do we really need to continue this discussion?

Didn't you say earlier in the thread that you weren't trying to troll?

You know the answer to your question.

Do we really need to continue this discussion?

Didn't you say earlier in the thread that you weren't trying to troll?

Yeah, admitted semi troll job toying with the fallacy that Michigan can snap fingers and grab any successful coach from any program it wants because, hey, they are Michigan.

But do you think Texas or USC are going to be calling Dantonio soon?

Yeah, admitted semi troll job toying with the fallacy that Michigan can snap fingers and grab any successful coach from any program it wants because, hey, they are Michigan.

I don't think many believe that fallacy - RR was the third option, and Hoke was hardly desired elsewhere.

who is claiming michigan can snap its fingers and get any coach? Not shelton.

michigan can get certain coaches because they will pay top dollar. Same as osu.

nobody thinks michigan would be able to get dantonio, thats silly.

I don't think many believe that fallacy - RR was the third option, and Hoke was hardly desired elsewhere.

other than schiano, who was the other option?