davidsb

10/02/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) at Baltimore Orioles (Tillman) – 5:37p(or 6:07)

That was a two game swing.

False. They would have ended up tied. A Tigers win and a Royals loss equals one game in the standings.

Overhead today on MLB Network's The Rundown:

Network Talking Head: If the rotation is the Tigerts' strength, then the bullpen is the Tigers' weakness. How do the Orioles get to the 'pen?

Ex-Player Dave Valle: The Orioles are going to need to swing the bats, try to get those starters out of the game as quickly as possible, and attack the pitches that are in the strike zone.

Dave Valle: graduate of the University of No S***, Sherlock.

We've known this is as the likely game plan since before they broke Lakeland, right?

False. They would have ended up tied. A Tigers win and a Royals loss equals one game in the standings.

False.

Detroit, 90 wins.

Kansas City, 89 wins.

Switch that tag play around, and assume Kansas City wins.

Kansas City, 90 wins.

Detroit, 89 wins.

Overhead today on MLB Network's The Rundown:

Network Talking Head: If the rotation is the Tigerts' strength, then the bullpen is the Tigers' weakness. How do the Orioles get to the 'pen?

Ex-Player Dave Valle: The Orioles are going to need to swing the bats, try to get those starters out of the game as quickly as possible, and attack the pitches that are in the strike zone.

Dave Valle: graduate of the University of No S***, Sherlock.

I am glad to have 2 guys in the pen that have a history of being decent SPs in the pen for this reason.

Now that we've had a Princess Bride quote in this thread, I feel a lot better about tonight's game.

This! A Tiger win for sure!!!

False.

Detroit, 90 wins.

Kansas City, 89 wins.

Switch that tag play around, and assume Kansas City wins.

Kansas City, 90 wins.

Detroit, 89 wins.

Now I'm an idiot.

False.

The Tigers would have had 1 fewer win and 1 more loss.

The Royals would have had 1 more win and 1 fewer loss.

2 game swing.

Along a similar vein, if one team plays another and is 2 games back of that team, a win puts them 1 game back, a loss puts them 3 games back. The difference between winning and losing a head to head game is a two game swing.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

False.

Yeah, I forgot to figure in the end of the season. Normally that is just a one game swing during the course of the season.

All it really goes to illustrate is the Tigers doing extremely well against the Indians in 2013 and Royals in 2014 was a big part of the reason they won the division both years.

That's why the narrative at the end of the 2009 season doesn't tell the whole story when they say "Tigers had a 3 game lead with 4 to play". Yes, that part is true. But the first game was against the team in 2nd place. So after that one game they had a 2 game lead with 3 to play. Not quite as stunning if you ask me. Prior to that they went 7-3 and their lead in the standings stayed the same.

Yeah, I forgot to figure in the end of the season. Normally that is just a one game swing during the course of the season.

Huh?

I confused myself on it a couple of weeks ago when I was thinking about it as well. It is a full game impact to both teams.

Largely unrelated, my dad used to harp about 2 game swings (or 4 point in hockey) when I was a yute.

He used to harp about it in basketball as well inside of a game - like when a team would be on a 3 on 1 fast break only to turn the ball over directly leading to a bucket on the other end. That was a 4-point swing in his mind. If the game was decided by 4 points or less with the first team losing, he'd ramble on at length about that for a day if anyone asked him about the game.

That's why the narrative at the end of the 2009 season doesn't tell the whole story when they say "Tigers had a 3 game lead with 4 to play". Yes, that part is true. But the first game was against the team in 2nd place. So after that one game they had a 2 game lead with 3 to play. Not quite as stunning if you ask me. Prior to that they went 7-3 and their lead in the standings stayed the same.

Right. The 3 game lead with 4 to play was a mirage. It was guaranteed to be a 4 game lead with 3 to play or a 2 game lead with 3 to play.

Fun fact from former Tiger:

gabe kapler @gabekapler · 21m 21 minutes ago

Every #Tigers qualified starting pitcher had a better 2014 FIP than the top qualified @Orioles starter (Chen, 3.89).

Is anyone else terrified by the fact that Delmon Young is on the Orioles' playoff roster?

I'm not terrified, but he's a useful role player off the bench versus lefties.

Fun fact from former Tiger:

gabe kapler @gabekapler · 21m 21 minutes ago

Every #Tigers qualified starting pitcher had a better 2014 FIP than the top qualified @Orioles starter (Chen, 3.89).

I wish we"d stop mentioned FIP when discussing potential future results this postseason. Our defense isn't going to magically improve in October.

I wish we"d stop mentioned FIP when discussing potential future results this postseason. Our defense isn't going to magically improve in October.

You are the first person that I have seen that has suggested anything remotely like this. I read it as an evaluation of the relative talent of the starting rotations.

You are the first person that I have seen that has suggested anything remotely like this. I read it as an evaluation of the relative talent of the starting rotations.

Correct, I'm not sure FIP has a great deal of predictive value in-season. It's interesting to note though because of the large differences with the teams. The Tigers will theoretically have an advantage when it's pitcher vs. hitter. Once (if) the ball is in play, the Orioles will have the advantage.