davidsb

09/20/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) at Kansas City Royals (Shields) – 1:05p

How funny is it that the dope Kansas City scoreboard operator may have cost the Royals the game today...LOVE IT. The play is not reviewable by MLB, but KC ran the replay on the scoreboard, the umps see it...and voila...the right call is made! BLESS YOU BOYS!

The right call was made. That's the important thing. And I honestly have no qualms about it if the roles were reversed.

How funny is it that the dope Kansas City scoreboard operator may have cost the Royals the game today...LOVE IT. The play is not reviewable by MLB, but KC ran the replay on the scoreboard, the umps see it...and voila...the right call is made! BLESS YOU BOYS!

the whole crew should be fired if not one of them saw that Perez never got back to third - it wasn't even particularly close. And stranger still that he stopped. What weird process went on in his brain that told him he could stop going back to 3rd - which he clearly had intended to do, just because the ball had been mishandled on the IF?

the whole crew should be fired if not one of them saw that Perez never got back to third - it wasn't even particularly close. And stranger still that he stopped. What weird process went on in his brain that told him he could stop going back to 3rd - which he clearly had intended to do, just because the ball had been mishandled on the IF?

I can somewhat understand it (Perez) in the emotion of the game. I just wonder if the base coach realized it and tried to get Perez' attention.

Brain farts happen.... maybe for a nanosecond he thought once the ball hit the ground he was clear. The game moves fast... faster than our brains work.

I can somewhat understand it (Perez) in the emotion of the game. I just wonder if the base coach realized it and tried to get Perez' attention.

Just to elaborate, Perez knew to get back to the bag. But then the overthrow happened and he let one instinct trump the other. Definitely his fault, but I can understand how the brain fart happened.

Brain farts happen.... maybe for a nanosecond he thought once the ball hit the ground he was clear. The game moves fast... faster than our brains work.

Yup.

Get back to the ba....... SCORE!

Didn't look thru the thread so not sure if this has been brought up.... But just saw this in the Detroit Free Press: Hernan Perez (the rare star designation for someone who didn't play in the game – he alerted the Tigers coaching staff that Salvador Perez hadn't tagged up before he headed home in the sixth)

Didn't look thru the thread so not sure if this has been brought up.... But just saw this in the Detroit Free Press: Hernan Perez (the rare star designation for someone who didn't play in the game – he alerted the Tigers coaching staff that Salvador Perez hadn't tagged up before he headed home in the sixth)

That's my former AAT!

The Tigers have the 3rd best record in the AL. Hard to believe after all we've been through. You'd think we'd be happier. Damn.

I'd be a lot happier if we didn't have a steaming pile for a bullpen. We've had shaky bullpens before but it always seemed like Leyland was able to pull it together into a workable semblance by the time the playoffs came. The Valverde situation in 2012 was the only time I remember thinking we had a real problem in the post-season, but we still had four guys behind Valverde who were capable or better (Benoit, Smyly, Dotel, Villlareal). Any of those four guys I would have trusted to get a man or three out in the playoffs in 2012.

At this point, there really isn't a single bullpen guy who I would say "I'm glad he's coming in the game". Quite the opposite. Even Soria is a major question mark. I just don't understand how the team brass feels good about going into the playoffs with these guys. Adding a good arm from the rotation will hopefully help.

Regarding winning a division at home... that is something that's been lacking for this team.

In 2006 they clinched the playoffs on the road, didn't win the division, and beat NYY and OAK at home.

In 2011 they clinched the division in Oakland, that was when Leyland had his famous breakdown about how happy he was for Detroit's fans. Won ALDS in NY.

IN 2012 they clinched the division in KC, won the ALDS in Oakland and won the ALCS at home.

In 2013 they clinched the division in MIN, won ALDS in Oakland.

I don't think they clinched playoff spots in 2011-2013 prior to winning the division did they? By my count that's 3 out of 7 clinchings at home. They are due for another party.

I was at the game when they clinched the division in 1972. Al Kaline caught a short pop up to RF. We sat in the LF grandstands, about 10 rows back. It was the 2nd to last game of the season, against Boston, who was battling us for the East Division. There was a shortened season that year because of a labor dispute or something. I've since saw the game on youtube....Fryman against Tiant. A real classic!

Column by Posnanski on the play.....and it sounds like it was reviewable.

The New York replay officials then told Vanover something odd — it was explained that the play was NOT reviewable because it involved a runner tagging up. More on this in a minute. The official said it was left to the umpires on the field to make the call on the field. At this point, Vanover and the crew (claiming they were not affected by the replay on the scoreboard) overruled themselves and called Perez out.

And so now we find ourselves arguing THE CORRECT CALL — that is, arguing whether the umpires even have the right to change their incorrect call if it doesn’t fall precisely under replay guidelines.

Well, so be it. There are two guiding principles here in the MLB replay rules — I’m assuming that the reason New York said the place was not reviewable is due to Rule V, D-2

The following calls will not be subject to review:

2. The Umpire’s judgment on whether a base runner left early when tagging up.

However, I think New York blew it — that should not be the guiding principle here at all. That rule specifically refers to a runner leaving early. The question here is not whether Perez left early but whether or not he tagged up at all. I believe the applicable rule here is Rule V, F-3 which talks about base running calls that ARE reviewable.

The following base running calls are reviewable:

3. Upon an appropriate appeal by the defensive Club, whether a base runner touched a base (see Rule 7.10(b) and Comment).

The rule 7.10(b) refers to failing to touch a base in order or missing a base with the ball in play. It seems this would be the guiding principle because there was an appropriate appeal by the Tigers and, essentially, Detroit was arguing that Perez did not touch the bases in order. He needed to touch third base again before home plate.

So, it seems pretty clear to me based on a basic reading of the rules that the Tigers DID have the right to replay there and New York got it wrong.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/replaying-the-replay/http://

Wow. If that's the case, can you imagine the outcry if the run had counted?

Massive botch-job by MLB. Not so much the umpires, but by the guys in NY. I don't expect that.

BTW, would not that have been just the damn thing? The first season of reviews and the Tigers lose the division by one game because they didn't review a bad call?

Brandon Inge/Metrodome anyone?