Sign in to follow this  
johnsilver52

Instructional League

Searched many places and could not find out if the Tigers were going to have another Winter Instructional league team this September/October in Lakeland at the S/T home of the Tigers.

I attend many of the GCL Tigers games and was interested in going to some Instrux games (probably about to start if they are) if the Tigers are going to run a team this fall.

BTW.. Was pulling the the GCL Tigers.. Attended the 2 games in Tampa in the GCL championship where Boston won those 2 to take the title from the Yanks. Live in Lakeland, so shorter "drive" to see the Sox play.

Tiger fans who make it to Laeland during GCL season should make the attempt to take one in. The access to games is unparalleled, as compared to other locations/stadiums have been to.

JS

The Tigers are not particiating this year per Dan Lunetta.

Welcome to the forum. There are several here from Lakeland who are active on the minor league forum.

Thank you both for the information. Shame, was hoping would get to see 2-3 weeks extra of organized ball on the practice fields at Joker Marchent again though this season.

Appreciate the info on fellow Lakelanders also. Haven't attended many Flying Tigers games within recent decades however. Was a season ticket holder for them, along with the old Winter Haven Red Sox for years and years long ago. Now it's mostly young kids (17-20YO) that prefer to watch come up through the various GCL teams in the area.

The Lakeland A+ team had a revolving door with GCL players this past season. Also for a reason on no IL...

In the past, our draft picks normallly reported to IL at the lower levels or mini camp in early Spring Training. The last couple of years our drafted kids have gone directly to a team as you saw in GCL. Since most players had already completed a full season of high school or college ball before their Detroit assignment, it was decided to allow them to rest this fall and winter.

Roger

They have been pretty heavy on 4y and JC guys the last 2-3y also, not so much on HS guys in the top 10 rounds really. Not wanting to sound like a guy that hammers a team (I do Boston also btw) but it's probably just a monetary saving issue where they figured didn't have enough high end guys to justify the means.

Don't take it wrong please. i liked what saw out of Hill this last year even though his overall numbers didn't look good. showed good patience and gets out of the box well.

They have been pretty heavy on 4y and JC guys the last 2-3y also, not so much on HS guys in the top 10 rounds really. Not wanting to sound like a guy that hammers a team (I do Boston also btw) but it's probably just a monetary saving issue where they figured didn't have enough high end guys to justify the means.

Don't take it wrong please. i liked what saw out of Hill this last year even though his overall numbers didn't look good. showed good patience and gets out of the box well.

I attended up to about two years ago when I could no longer take the heat. Even had a special umbrella I could attach to the bleachers. I know Basilio quite well and also the scorer Ed Holloway. I am not that familiar with last season's hitting and pitching coaches. And then on the ground crew, Charlie and Anthony are always special. Deadshot and Plantcitytigerfan both attend a few games as well as a few more of us.

I attended up to about two years ago when I could no longer take the heat. Even had a special umbrella I could attach to the bleachers. I know Basilio quite well and also the scorer Ed Holloway. I am not that familiar with last season's hitting and pitching coaches. And then on the ground crew, Charlie and Anthony are always special. Deadshot and Plantcitytigerfan both attend a few games as well as a few more of us.

That accounts for about half of the 3-6 of the people that were generally in the section of bleachers. Usually went with either my wife, or son.

Tampa generally has the most on hand of the local venues, Lakeland the least, not a knock, cause Lakeland (to me) has the best view from the section of bleachers.

Long way until next July's GCL season start up. Your Tigers still in the fight for PO, Boston did you a favor, 3-4 over KC.

Will be back, watch the kids and draftable guys also.

Johnsilver, do you catch the early days of spring training? Before the games begin. I often stop by in the mornings in late January and February to see who is in camp. About the only time I get to talk to some of the players I have followed. I don't do autographs, only photograph. Usually have on the hat in my avatar and carrying a camera or two.

Johnsilver, do you catch the early days of spring training? Before the games begin. I often stop by in the mornings in late January and February to see who is in camp. About the only time I get to talk to some of the players I have followed. I don't do autographs, only photograph. Usually have on the hat in my avatar and carrying a camera or two.

Occasionally, My son likes to go down to Fort Myers for a few days right after the MiLB kids have reported. The setup there is nice in some ways, like the stadiums, but access to the players isn't as easy as it is in Lakeland on the Minor league fields.

Years ago, I'd spend from nearly dawn to dusk for a week each spring at Winter Haven, then go and visit some of the guys hadn't seen since the prior year in the evenings. Some of the friendships lasted years. Pete Ladd, Danny Weppner..

When the Tiger's kids report I'll be there some Hueytaxi. Have to use my wife/son as a taxi these last 10y. You'll see why when we meet there. I wear a floppy hat kind of like the one you are sporting in that picture, only mine is khaki.

JS

Not sure if Milt Cuyler is still with the Twins Rookie team. He used to give my son private lessons. Well so did Cabrera and Bradshaw over the years.

I only made it out to one GCL game this season (against the Phillies). I think I might have chatted with you either there or in extended spring this season? Did you play semi-pro ball at one point? If that was you, then I really enjoyed our conversation (I had a binder and was getting some signatures as well).

Hi Deadshot,

That wasn't me, tho we might have chatted before if you have attended GCL games in years other than this past year. i enjoy talking to fans about the players on the field, what they are doing, quirks they seem to have etc.. Also enjoy chatting about past memories of minor league players and managers of years ago from each city when am at a stadium, especially at Lakeland now. Leyland walking past the gravel between the foul line and seats, along the fine gravel with his traditional steel spikes at Chain-O-Lakes probably sounds odd to some, but to me is one of the noises of the game I miss most. He'd always make that slow strut of his before games from the visiting club house (no offense) cigarette in hand, have his warm hello for the regulars. He was/is a gentleman of the game.

Like exchanging memories, like that with fans when visit stadiums.

Hi Deadshot,

That wasn't me, tho we might have chatted before if you have attended GCL games in years other than this past year. i enjoy talking to fans about the players on the field, what they are doing, quirks they seem to have etc.. Also enjoy chatting about past memories of minor league players and managers of years ago from each city when am at a stadium, especially at Lakeland now. Leyland walking past the gravel between the foul line and seats, along the fine gravel with his traditional steel spikes at Chain-O-Lakes probably sounds odd to some, but to me is one of the noises of the game I miss most. He'd always make that slow strut of his before games from the visiting club house (no offense) cigarette in hand, have his warm hello for the regulars. He was/is a gentleman of the game.

Like exchanging memories, like that with fans when visit stadiums.

I was not following the Tigers back in Leylands day with the Lakeland Tigers. My son developed an interest in the early 90's and I began to join him around 95. For several years working out of town, I would pick him up from elementary school and we would spend a few final innings with GCL before heading home for a nap for me. After dinner, with my wife, I would join them for a few innings of the Lakeland Tigers before I headed off for my shift. I think Melusky was the mgr. when I began going to the games. I didn't begin taking photos until 2004.

Roger

Wife prefers to attend ballgames in the evenings over afternoon, though I prefer to see younger kids that play at the GCL level Hueytaxi. This coming season we both will attend some FSL games, will be 1st season in several years, though Joker Marchent is a beautiful stadium and isn't far at all from where we live.

On Leyland.. I'd always try to say hello to him pregame. He had this pregame, set time to stroll out of the clubhouse and to the dugout.. Thinking it was 30m, maybe 25m pre 1st pitch? Another Lakelander might remember. He'd also sit in a folding chair sometimes, outside the dugout at Chain-O-Lakes, don't remember him doing that at Joker Marchent however.

Wife prefers to attend ballgames in the evenings over afternoon, though I prefer to see younger kids that play at the GCL level Hueytaxi. This coming season we both will attend some FSL games, will be 1st season in several years, though Joker Marchent is a beautiful stadium and isn't far at all from where we live.

On Leyland.. I'd always try to say hello to him pregame. He had this pregame, set time to stroll out of the clubhouse and to the dugout.. Thinking it was 30m, maybe 25m pre 1st pitch? Another Lakelander might remember. He'd also sit in a folding chair sometimes, outside the dugout at Chain-O-Lakes, don't remember him doing that at Joker Marchent however.

Spring Training games he would sit outside the dugout on the home plate side.