belcherboy

Fire Hoke??

Much as I'll hate to see him go I think this is the truth. I think he's a good man with good intentions but just not up to the job. Really had anyone looked at his career prior to Michigan they might have surmised that before the hire.

IMO the problems at Michigan date to not ponying up the $$ to hire Casteel when they hired RichRod. Had that happened I think the football world in Ann Arbor would be in a different place today.

But this is where M tends to be in a box. The academic lobby at M has always fought a strong and effective battle against coaching salaries and they will continue to do so. Don't count on M ever hiring a top 10 $$ coach - it could happen but the odds are against it I would say. Beilein went to the big dance and got a bump to about 10th nationally.

That is really what the 'Michigan Man' thing is about in my opinion - its a way to increase the chance to sign/keep a guy at a home town discount.

Edited by Gehringer_2

But this is where M tends to be in a box. The academic lobby at M has always fought a strong and effective battle against coaching salaries and they will continue to do so. Don't count on M ever hiring a top 10 $$ coach - it could happen but the odds are against it I would say. Beilein went to the big dance and got a bump to about 10th nationally.

That is really what the 'Michigan Man' thing is about in my opinion - its a way to increase the chance sign/keep a guy at a home town discount.

The academic lobby you reference, has also been forced out of their own cover. On one hand most agree that Brandon's marketing and fundraising and squeezing "mom's and dad's money" out of the students is noxious; but the existence of said revenue and Stephen Ross' donor bucks for nice-to-have sports like Lacrosse is there. They damage to overall Michigan brand due to inept football performance and this-must-sting Ross more, the lousy example of management by the AD of various scandals indicates the need for change.

I wonder which professor/public figure they could hire to improve their brand as much as a top ten $ football coach.

Hoke bowing down to Dantonio should seal his fate if it wasn't already 100% decided prior to that expected blowout. That is a stupid thing to apologize and release a PR statement for.

Brandon/Hoke are astonishingly bad at PR on top of many other things.

That is really what the 'Michigan Man' thing is about in my opinion - its a way to increase the chance to sign/keep a guy at a home town discount.

Hoke is actually paid like a top 10 coach. I want his agent. He's the 7th highest paid coach in CFB.

Mattison and Nussmeir are also paid high-end rates for coordinators. Brandon has allocated a lot more money to coaches salaries- its just that the ROI has been terrible.

Hoke is actually paid like a top 10 coach. I want his agent. He's the 7th highest paid coach in CFB.

Mattison and Nussmeir are also paid high-end rates for coordinators. Brandon has allocated a lot more money to coaches salaries- its just that the ROI has been terrible.

Yes it is odd, coordinator pays has been good here. That has a lot to do with a precedent that Lloyd Carr had a lot to do with IIRC. But back to the top ten $ thing - still probably not in term of total compensation though - M doesn't allow coaches to keep outside income - of course some of the figures you see published on that are a joke anyway. I saw one that had Saban's outside income at 160K - yeah - per month maybe.

Yes it is odd, coordinator pays has been good here. That has a lot to do with a precedent that Lloyd Carr had a lot to do with IIRC. But back to the top ten $ thing - still probably not in term of total compensation though - M doesn't allow coaches to keep outside income - of course some of the figures you see published on that are a joke anyway. I saw one that had Saban's outside income at 160K - yeah - per month maybe.

Hoke's salary of $4.3 million is 7th in the country. Saban technically makes $7 million, but he also just had his $3 million house paid off. So, there are lots of things like that which don't get reported until later on. But, Hoke is paid well especially considering his resume prior to getting the job.

To actually get a Harbaugh, they'd have to pay Saban-type money. Alabama's seen a significant ROI on that hire. I'm not sure if Michigan would do that. Maybe.

Hoke's salary of $4.3 million is 7th in the country. Saban technically makes $7 million, but he also just had his $3 million house paid off. So, there are lots of things like that which don't get reported until later on. But, Hoke is paid well especially considering his resume prior to getting the job.

To actually get a Harbaugh, they'd have to pay Saban-type money. Alabama's seen a significant ROI on that hire. I'm not sure if Michigan would do that. Maybe.

I think the joke that has become the program will loosen up the purse strings ... IF a big name (like either Harbaugh or Gruden) were to show interest.