belcherboy

Fire Hoke??

Is it time to move on from the Hoke era? He has 3 rival games this year and just got blown out by probably the weakest of the three. IMO if he loses to MSU by double digits they need to let him go that evening. I think it is time to move on.

Am I over reacting?

David Brandon will be the problem, as he seems to be a hardened Hoke supporter for whatever reason. It will take the pressure of alumni along with empty sections at Michigan Stadium for Brandon to consider firing Hoke.

That said, the lack of improvement and regression from Hoke's teams show his ineffectiveness as head coach. He puts good teams together on paper via recruiting rankings, but is unable to coach them up.

Is it time to move on from the Hoke era? He has 3 rival games this year and just got blown out by probably the weakest of the three. IMO if he loses to MSU by double digits they need to let him go that evening. I think it is time to move on.

Am I over reacting?

I'd say you and about every Michigan fan is overreacting. This team starts way too many freshmen/sophomores. I will wait to see how they develop over the course of the season.

If you look at the stats the score tonight seems shocking. ND was just much more efficient and Golson was crazy accurate the first half. And yet Michigan out gained them. We will see.

I don't know if it's time to fire him but the only good year he had was the year he had nothing but Rich Rod players. He has done nothing since. Sure his recruiting numbers are strong, but so were Rich Rod's and so were Lloyd. Personally I think he's terrible and doesn't bring anything to the table, I think he's recruiting off the Brand and that's it, other than that he's done nothing to show me he's a good coach.

Edit: ANd to add to that, if he had a history of turning a program into a power, or a history of being a great coach, my views may change. So he turned Ball St. and SDSU into half way decent programs, that doesn't mean crap to me. Rich Rodriguez turned West Virginia into a powerhouse and has since turned Arizona into a Pac 12 contender and he got the boot after 3 years. His resume dwarfs Hoke's, so if he can get fired so can Hoke.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Hoke has some similarities to Ron Zook. Great recruiting on paper but couldn't turn it into results on the field. U of M needs to find their own version of Florida's Urban Meyer.

I'm also not sure if Brandon is that tied to Hoke. I can't stand Brandon but he is a bottom line biz revenue kind of guy and the business side of U of M football this year has the potential to be pretty bad (by its own standards) and Hoke is a part of that. He's been a CEO for decades so he's likely fired his share of executives before.

It's probably a pipe dream, but if he had a chance to land a big splash by brininging in John Harbaugh, he'd likely do it and dump Hoke in a second. Both the on field and business implications of that type of hire would be huge for the program and the univeristy itself.

Outside of that, hopefully the next coaching search would be more of a national one with actual quality head coaching prospects rather than hiring someone just b/c they used to be an assitatnt at U of M before. Hoke's résumé is a lot less than most that get hired at high level programs.

Hoke's résumé is a lot less than most that get hired at high level programs.

That's the key there. Michigan seems to pride themselves on being a national powerhouse and one of the elite programs in the country yet they hire a guy that's highest level of coaching is San Diego State, just cause he's a "Michigan guy". If they're as important as they think they are than there is no reason why they should settle for that. Ohio State went and got the biggest and probably best coach available, we got Brady freaking Hoke. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy, and maybe their struggles aren't due to him but I don't think he is helping their cause either and I don't believe in him ever returning them to a national power.

Narduzzi is the logical answer. Weaken a rival, while strengthening yourself.

If not Narduzzi then call Jim Tressel. He could bring his son in from MSU to run the defense.

Bonus would be the heads of 2 rival fanbases exploding.

Hoke is a good recruiter but he can't get those said recruits to perform on the field so the recruiting is wasted. If he loses against MSU AGAIN and OSU then him and Brandon need to be future endeavored pronto.

Hoke is a good recruiter...

Won't agree until he shows he can bring in a QB who can throw the ball to the right color shirts.

Gardner may be a great kid but between his physical and mental breakdowns he has been a disaster for the program.

Won't agree until he shows he can bring in a QB who can throw the ball to the right color shirts.

Gardner may be a great kid but between his physical and mental breakdowns he has been a disaster for the program.

Agreed about Gardner. He's a disaster. Was Devin a RR recruit or a Hoke recruit?

Yes, Hoke should be shown the door after the season, if Michigan doesn't either win 10 games or win 9 and look damn tough in their remaining losses. If the problem with Hoke were sole based on Gardner's poor performance, than I'd be willing to give him a year or two with Shane Morris at the helm, but they go well beyond just Gardner's QB play. I don't want to a firestorm of drama created at Michigan, so I get rid of him at season's end more than likely.

As for his replacements, here is a way too early list of names I like . . .

1. Jim Harbaugh (49'ers HC)

2. Art Briles (Baylor HC)

3. Sweater Vest (Former OSU HC and current Colts scout or something like that)

4. Kirby Smart (Alabama DC)

5. Pat Narduzzi (MSU DC)

6. Todd Graham (Arizona St. HC)

7. Chad Morris (Clemson OC)

8. Jon Gruden (NFL semi-wiz kid)

9. Greg Roman (Former Stanford OC and current 49'ers OC)

10. Chris Petersen (Why not give the guy a call and see if he's tired of Seattle after one season. Unrealistic as hell, but it can't hurt)

Nussmeir probably would have been on a list until last night.

Hoke gets the season to prove he should remain. That's fair.

I think there is zero chance Hoke is fired unless Harbaugh is fired and shows some interest in going back to college.

Which is extremely doubtful.

Hoke needs his own quarterback. That being said, for four years he's tried to take a running/spread QB and make them play a pro style offense to disastrous effects.

Everett Gholson is a spread/running QB and he lit Michigan's supposedly good secondary up last night. Gardner is a fifth year senior and he can't do that? Why not? Are the receivers just not open?

I have my doubts. I think the problem is Gardner isn't decisive enough and doesn't make good decisions. Couple that with a shaky oline and you have disaster.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into last year all over again.

Yes, Hoke should be shown the door after the season, if Michigan doesn't either win 10 games or win 9 and look damn tough in their remaining losses. If the problem with Hoke were sole based on Gardner's poor performance, than I'd be willing to give him a year or two with Shane Morris at the helm, but they go well beyond just Gardner's QB play. I don't want to a firestorm of drama created at Michigan, so I get rid of him at season's end more than likely.

As for his replacements, here is a way too early list of names I like . . .

1. Jim Harbaugh (49'ers HC)

2. Art Briles (Baylor HC)

3. Sweater Vest (Former OSU HC and current Colts scout or something like that)

4. Kirby Smart (Alabama DC)

5. Pat Narduzzi (MSU DC)

6. Todd Graham (Arizona St. HC)

7. Chad Morris (Clemson OC)

8. Jon Gruden (NFL semi-wiz kid)

9. Greg Roman (Former Stanford OC and current 49'ers OC)

10. Chris Petersen (Why not give the guy a call and see if he's tired of Seattle after one season. Unrealistic as hell, but it can't hurt)

Jim Tressel? Pat Narduzzi?

You really are insane.

From what I've heard around the area and university, John Harbaugh is more realistic than Jim Harbaugh.

If there's a chance to grab him after a lackluster Ravens season, I think they'd fire Hoke and bring in Harbaugh. Outside of that, they'll probably give Hoke one more season with 2015 as a make or break season for him.

Jim Tressel? Pat Narduzzi?

You really are insane.

Yeah - I think Tressel is done with football, he's got the U Prez gig at Youngstown state.

Yeah - I think Tressel is done with football, he's got the U Prez gig at Youngstown state.

Yeah, but Jim Tressel....TO MICHIGAN?

Come on. That's just dumb.

Unrealistic and dumb are different things. It may be unrealistic to think he'd come here, but it isn't dumb. As for Narduzzi, what's wrong with that choice? The guy is going to end up with a gig somewhere, possibly at a big-bigger program. What's wrong with thinking we could be that program?

Unrealistic and dumb are different things. It may be unrealistic to think he'd come here, but it isn't dumb. As for Narduzzi, what's wrong with that choice? The guy is going to end up with a gig somewhere, possibly at a big-bigger program. What's wrong with thinking we could be that program?

I think Narduzzi is hoping to take over for Dantonio someday.

Because it's Michigan State. It would never happen.

How's your boy Phil Fulmer doing?

Helping out some D2 school with reforming their football program when he's not admiring his national championship trophy on his mantle.

This whole argument that a coach won't leave his school because he is "waiting in the wings" or he won't go to a rival school is bunk. Brett Bielema was "waiting in the wings" to take over from Barry Alvarez and eventually left for Arkansas. Bo Schembechler left OSU to join Michigan. If Bo can do that I'm sure Narduzzi could come here. Money and program control talk, offer him enough and I'd bet he'll bite.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Narduzzi is the logical answer. Weaken a rival, while strengthening yourself.

That there is why I like Narduzzi. State's defense has helped carry this team in the Dantonio era and it seems that Narduzzi is factor one in that success. Michigan's defense on the other hand has been an unmitigated disaster in that time frame. I'd like to think the guy could help a lot in that regard.

Bo Schembechler left OSU to join Michigan.

Of course I bet Bo came to Mi in no small part to get his crack at Woody. I think for Bo the personal was more important than the institutional.

I've been all in on the Hoke bandwagon. Big fan of Mattison as well, & I've been very excited by the recruiting - until Saturday. They were completely overmatched in every aspect. Devin Gardner showed no ability to look off receivers, or find a secondary receiver. The running game was non-existent. Injuries hurt the defense, but this loss is on the offense. They have taken a kid that was the #1 dual-threat QB coming out of high-school & put him in an offense where he has to be a pocket passer, along with all that goes with it. I don't know if Devin just isn't nearly as good as was advertised, or if the offense isn't geared to him, but either way the fault lies with Hoke. He either is unable to coach them up, or he's unwilling to put someone else in there.