davidsb

09/02/2014: Detroit Tigers (Lobstein) at Cleveland Indians (Carrasco) – 7:05p

From Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio, it is the...

15749144-mmmain.jpg

DETROIT TIGERS

visiting the

Cleveland Indians

Pitching Match-up

Kyle Lobstein (0-0, 3.09 era) vs Carlos Carrasco (6-4, 3.01 era)

31756.png&w=350&h=25428968.png&w=350&h=254

Happy birthday to former Tigers:

Dusty Ryan 30, Johnny Paredea 52, Nate Snell 62, Luke Walker 71, Fred Payne 1880-1954

FoxSportsDetroit.png

Over the last two weeks the Tigers are back to leading all of baseball in runs scored. That's a nice turnaround from a team that was really struggling for a bit.

This has to be the streakiest Tigers team I've ever watched. Whether we're talking W/L, offense, pitching, all very streaky it seems.

I hope Miggy was actually better yesterday and that it just wasn't a fluke.

The ball he drove out to RF was the big one IMO...that shows some power back. I think he will be better the rest of the way, but still not back to Miggy type numbers. He is hobbling around out there big time. It is painful watching him run. Those 2 balls thrown to first that got by him....OUCH that was hard to watch.

Well...I made it into the playoffs for my fantasy team....and in an act of desperation I added Carrasco to my team today.

At least I've hedged my bets. Hoping for a W, but the lobber leaves me nervous.

When they go to market with the World Series video for this year it it will be

"Serenity Now: the 2014 Detroit Tigers"

Public service announcement. Ian kinsler now has an obp that is lower than torii hunter's.

Public service announcement. Nick castellanos has an ops of 657 since 8/17.

It surprises me to see Carellanos' numbers because he seems to hit the ball hard all the time. It seems like he should be doing better and I think we'll see the results next year.

It surprises me to see Carellanos' numbers because he seems to hit the ball hard all the time. It seems like he should be doing better and I think we'll see the results next year.

His average over that same timeframe was 274. It's just that he hasn't hit for any power.

A couple weeks ago his overall numbers looked a lot better. I'm optimistic about next year, too.

His average over that same timeframe was 274. It's just that he hasn't hit for any power.

A couple weeks ago his overall numbers looked a lot better. I'm optimistic about next year, too.

But working from the 17th turns out to be a date that makes him look a little worse than other dates around it. He is 727 since Aug 1; 770 in his last 50 AB (aug 21 - heck of diff across 4 days!)

Still, he is only hitting 1 hr/40 AB which is a little disappointing. On the plus side, split his season at game 81, and his OPS 1st half was 711, second half so far 745. That's not that big a rise but I would guess most rookie year second halves show a drop rather than any kind of improvement.

Edited by Gehringer_2

But working from the 17th turns out to be a date that makes him look a little worse than other dates around it. He is 727 since Aug 1; 770 in his last 50 AB (aug 21 - heck of diff across 4 days!)

Still, he is only hitting 1 hr/40 AB which is a little disappointing.

Yes, I chose that date thinking that was his high point due to the home run on the 16th.

Not trying to make him look bad. I just remember not too long ago that his numbers were pretty decent given his lower numbers earlier in the year. Then I saw his overall numbers today and was wondering what happened recently.

It didn't seem like he was slumping, and his 274 average is pretty good over that stretch, so it's really the lack of power that stands out.

Castellanos' offensive approach is more like that of a David Eckstein type player than a guy with his size. I think he'll figure out before long that he can hit for more power, but at least we've seen spurts of it from time to time. I feel like he's gotten better at making solid contact as the season has progressed.

Castellanos has basically the same plate discipline stats across the board as JD Martinez. I think Castellanos will see his power increase significantly as he ages and develop into a good hitter. He's pretty much a 1B/DH though unless he proves to be passable in the OF. I don't think he can play 3B much longer.

Castellanos' offensive approach is more like that of a David Eckstein type player than a guy with his size. I think he'll figure out before long that he can hit for more power, but at least we've seen spurts of it from time to time. I feel like he's gotten better at making solid contact as the season has progressed.

Eckstein had a career bb% of 6.6 and k% of 7.3 and an ISO of .075.

Castellanos is at 6.2, 22.6 (!), and .141

I don't understand how david eckstein was a player you thought of when trying to describe castellanos.