hail2mich

GDT: Appalachian State at Michigan 8/30/2014

Ankle on Peppers, they kept him out for second half as a safety measure, he will be back for Notre Dame.

Attendance announced as over 106,000

Rushed for 300 and passed for 200. Good start.

Now the test comes. At ND.

Crowd looks pretty full from the shots I've seen. Better than I expected at least.

It was quite full. Student section had a couple of empty patches until right before kickoff, as well as a couple other places around the stadium. However come noon it was full.

Real time I thought it was his ankle. He limped after that but I don't think he missed a play except for being replaced as returner. On the replay I see it's his knee which is troubling...mostly because they said he stayed in the locker room.

He was kept out of the second half for precautionary reasons. With it being 35-0, I think it was the right move.

The big test will be can Gardner find other receivers against a defense that will take Funchess away. I am rooting for him, but I remain skeptical.

The big test will be can Gardner find other receivers against a defense that will take Funchess away. I am rooting for him, but I remain skeptical.

Funchess is what 6'4" or 6"5"? He ran a 4.33 40 last spring. He'll be tough to take away without opening up other options. Hopefully there is something to the fluff pieces about Gardner's progress in reading defenses.

Funchess is what 6'4" or 6"5"? He ran a 4.33 40 last spring. He'll be tough to take away without opening up other options. Hopefully there is something to the fluff pieces about Gardner's progress in reading defenses.

Normally I would agree. I do like Funchess, for obvious reasons, but Gardner has yet to show the ability to progress thru his reads & find those other options. & ND's defense is going to be more stout than App. State's.

Funchess is a 1st round NFL draft pick and the Irish lost their best cover corner in the academic scandal and a starting safety is also injured. They aren't going to be able to take him away. If anything, he'll light them up.

I'm mostly concerned with the O line providing time for Gardner and hopefully they won't run a lot from under center in a power formation. It seems like Nussmeier won't do a lot of the stupid stuff that Borges did so that should help a lot. Michigan has plenty of talent- its just unfortunate that the o line is so young. Getting Glasglow back should help with some of that.

Normally I would agree. I do like Funchess, for obvious reasons, but Gardner has yet to show the ability to progress thru his reads & find those other options. & ND's defense is going to be more stout than App. State's.

I don't disagree. And he really hasn't yet shown that he won't bail early on a play if he feels a rush. He claims to have more options when he's under center along with more freedom/understanding. I guess we we will see...one game at a time.

Funchess is a 1st round NFL draft pick and the Irish lost their best cover corner in the academic scandal and a starting safety is also injured. They aren't going to be able to take him away. If anything, he'll light them up.

I'm mostly concerned with the O line providing time for Gardner and hopefully they won't run a lot from under center in a power formation. It seems like Nussmeier won't do a lot of the stupid stuff that Borges did so that should help a lot. Michigan has plenty of talent- its just unfortunate that the o line is so young. Getting Glasglow back should help with some of that.

Yes, step 1 to Gardner progressing through his reads is for the OL to give him enough time to progress through his reads.

Altho tbh in college football I'm not sure how many QBs actually do that anymore. Most of the decision making is done by coaches on the sideline pre-snap, a QB reading the D pre-snap, or by a QB reading a single defender post-snap.