michblk

Help Identifying an autograph

Doesn't appear to be anyone in the game.

I would guess some random player and the person getting the autograph just happened to have that on hand.

That's pretty good but that sure looks like an R in the last name.

I gave it a valiant effort, but couldn't figure it out. My guess is a Cincinnati "celebrity" who was at the game.

That's pretty good but that sure looks like an R in the last name.

agree but thats the best I could come up with. Back in the day when were were taught cursive, you were suppose to loop the tops of lower case s and r so an old timer might have more tendency to degenerate between those two letters. I tried looking at some Desautels sigs on line - some style similarity a lot of difference too.

I too was looking at the Desautels, I agree, some similarity some differences. That was actually my guess to. Could have been the original owners name for all I know.

Brian K

Wow, that Desautels guess is impressive! I could see this being a rushed signature as there are some similarities to online examples and the differences could be attributed to an on-the-run auto. But why Desautels would have been at that game is a question - he was coaching in the minors at that point and doesn't seem to have any ties to Cincinnati. Of course that assumes the program was signed at that game; if it wasn't, then who knows. But the signature doesn't look like any of the ASG players or coaches.

My not certain guess is that it's someone else. Desaultels' signatures online are very neat and consistent. Guys who signed like that back then were still generally pretty smooth on the run.

If you're a member of SCN, you should post it there on the autograph opinions thread - someone there will probably recognize it pretty quick.

While a great guess, I do not think it is Desautels, too many differences. While it could have been signed any time, he was in Sacramento in 53/54 and then in Flint the majority of his life afterwards.

I posted it in at SCN, lets see if the experts can help.

SCN Link

Looks like we have a consensus...

George Trautman, NAPBL President at the time.

I'm buying it too, take a look at this for comparison.

S06159b.JPG

Looks like we have a consensus...

I'm buying it too, take a look at this for comparison.

S06159b.JPG

Yup - looks good.

Who got it? That would be a tough one since he as never a player

Yours aren't as funny as Walt's 8 year old Necro thread posts

Yoda has trouble living up to me all the time. ;-)