davidsb

08/27/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) vs. New York Yankees (Greene) - 7:08p

I think DD uses the stars and scrubs approach because Ilitch will only pay for stars. Would DD do things differently with the same payroll and freedom to use it as he pleases?

He built the 97 Marlins in a similar fashion.

JD's momentum carried him to the stands and it was Bret Gardner running from 2B to 3B.

the ball has 4 to 1 or better speed advantage over the runner and that is a short throw. Gardner could be half way there before JD releases the ball and his throw should still beat him so he had time to reset himself. A ML OF has to do better.

We just have a really bad throwing OF other than Torii, and he is only a shadow of what he was.

Edited by Gehringer_2

He built the 97 Marlins in a similar fashion.

That was a quick all-in thing that didn't last too long. He was forced to sell the next year. So, it's hard to say how much was him and how much was the owner. It was a different situation in Montreal

By the way there is nothing stopping the Tigers from beaning a Yankee hitter in the 8th or 9th inning if the Tigers have a 10 run lead. Except that with our bullpen a 10 run lead isn't so safe.:shocked:

... on second thought the Tigers could be down 8 runs or so and decide to bean a Yankee tonight :rambo:

I think DD uses the stars and scrubs approach because Ilitch will only pay for stars. Would DD do things differently with the same payroll and freedom to use it as he pleases?

But where are the scrubs? Don Kelly and Holliday? they're bench guys, replacing them really gives you how much of an upgrade? Nick C? he was a top 50 prospect? Davis, McCoy and Suarez? They replacing starters that are injured. Nathan? He just got old how many thought he'd have a 348924737327324932987 era when we signed him?

I wonder how much that last start got in Price's head. Did he feel he had to be perfect? Who knows?

I do know this - I'm more disheartened watching Miggy struggle so mightily than Price's outing. He hasn't had a homer in almost a month and clearly isn't himself.

And just as I type this he laces a double down the line!

the ball has 4 to 1 or better speed advantage over the runner and that is a short throw. Gardner could be half way there before JD releases the ball and his throw should still beat him so he had time to reset himself. A ML OF has to do better.

We just have a really bad throwing OF other than Torii, and he is only a shadow of what he was.

His momentum took him to the stands so he caught the ball, took a couple steps, gathered himself, and then threw the ball in. Now consider you have great speed on 2B and it's hard to say he has a bad arm based on this play.

His momentum took him to the stands so he caught the ball, took a couple steps, gathered himself, and then threw the ball in. Now consider you have great speed on 2B and it's hard to say he has a bad arm based on this play.

Oh - it didn't take this play to decide he has a weak arm!

But where are the scrubs? Don Kelly and Holliday? they're bench guys, replacing them really gives you how much of an upgrade? Nick C? he was a top 50 prospect? Davis, McCoy and Suarez? They replacing starters that are injured. Nathan? He just got old how many thought he'd have a 348924737327324932987 era when we signed him?

This has been somewhat of a Murphy's Law season for the Tigers. Verlander and Miggy, our two biggest names on the team, had surgeries that they're still struggling to recover from. Nathan dropped completely off the table. Our starting LF, SS and setup guy got hurt before the season even started. Sanchez goes down. We get the bullpen guy everybody wanted and he sucks before getting hurt, too.

What next?

This has been somewhat of a Murphy's Law season for the Tigers. Verlander and Miggy, our two biggest names on the team, had surgeries that they're still struggling to recover from. Nathan dropped completely off the table. Our starting LF, SS and setup guy got hurt before the season even started. Sanchez goes down. We get the bullpen guy everybody wanted and he sucks before getting hurt, too.

What next?

That's the way I see it. Especially the big names. A healthy verlander and Miggy and it probably covers a lot of the issues.

Oh - it didn't take this play to decide he has a weak arm!

EDIT: just for grins - Tigers are 29th of 30 teams in RF assists, 28th of 30 in CF assists, 12/30 in LF assists (Rajai did surprise a runner occasionally when he was still mostly in left).

Edited by Gehringer_2

I have to agree with Rod and Mario. It seems far more likely that Phil Coke's ERA as a reliever over a tiny sample size says more about him than his horrendous peripherals over the last three full seasons or so

I think the tigers have a good grasp on what they can afford. Everyone always looks at the dollars being added and usually don't consider the money coming off the books.

True. But why not bring Benoit back? That one puzzles me. Surely they didn't let him walk because of the ALCS.

Nobody knows the financial workings. They could still have some wiggle room to work with. They could be over what they wanted to spend. We don't know one way or another.

And there's potentially a lot of money coming off of the books this offseason. But how will it be replaced? How are Martinez and Scherzer going to be replaced? There isn't any cheap in house backfill that will replace their numbers next season. And the FA market isn't very good.

What next?

There's probably a good deal of truth in this, too.

Now we're questioning Nathan over Benoit.

I think people were questioning not bringing Benoit back from day 1

Now we're questioning Nathan over Benoit.

There was some questioning about this during the offseason.

The problem seems to be the Tigers are not built to win at home where 81 games are played.

They will be 34-30 at home and 37-30 on the road.

For the 1st time I am looking at the team splits.

At home the Tigers are hitting an astonishing .287

They are 2nd in the majors (behind Colorado) with an OPS of .790 so the problem is not hitting.

The ERA at home is 4.23

The opponents are batting .264 (a full 23 points lower than the Tigers at home)

Opponents OPS is .734 (bad but nowhere near the Tigers own .790)

The Tigers have allowed 293 runs and have only scored 290 runs at home.

Not sure how this is possible?

They are clearly outhitting the opponents.

It must be a huge defensive lapse. The Tigers are 20th in baseball with 83 errors.

Not sure why the disconnect.

Just looking back at some home games it appears the Tigers have had a lot of games where they just shut down the offense.

0, 1 and 2 runs per game when they lose.

It seems like the Tigers get a guy to 3rd with no outs and cannot score him.

So a couple hits and then 3 weak outs by the creampuffs (Avila, Suarez, etc.)

Too many holes in the lineup would be my guess.

We have some speed but we still need the bottom feeders to knock in the runners.

So Ausmus is going to use everybody one instead of one guy long. Since that means we will hit at least one guy in the BP that also can't get anyone out, this should get to at least a dozen.

Kroll is no longer on the team. :classic:

Stars and scrubs is fine if the stars stay healthy sand perform. Or scrubs perform well enough to mask less than star seasons from stars. That hasn't been the case this season.

Plus the Tigers have competition this season.

Stars and scrubs is fine if the stars stay healthy sand perform. Or scrubs perform well enough to mask less than star seasons from stars. That hasn't been the case this season.

Plus the Tigers have competition this season.

Agreed. Though a few of the scrubs have been good (JD, Davis, etc).

Agreed. Though a few of the scrubs have been good (JD, Davis, etc).

Yup, just not enough to compensate for the deficiencies.

Yup, just not enough to compensate for the deficiencies.

we would be in the toilet without J.D. Martinez this season (even if he can't throw)