C03BRA

MLB On Cusp Of Ending Blackouts On Streaming Games Online And On Mobile Devices

The digital media company of Major League Baseball is close to relaxing blackout restrictions for games streamed to computers and mobile devices. Bob Bowman, CEO of MLB Advanced Media reiterated in an interview with The Assocoated Press that the gap continues to close in which those currently affected by blackouts of games in the local television market would be able to watch the streamed games. While it’s too early to speculate on the timing of when this might happen, it could come as early as next season. Bowman has said that having the blackouts relaxed would be a “nice retirement gift for Commissioner Selig.” Selig is set to retire in January of 2015 and the blackout policy is MLB’s #1 customer complaint.

“Everyone’s trying to solve it,” Bowman said to The AP. “If our hands were 4 feet apart three or four years ago, they are now 6 inches apart,” Bowman said. “We’re moving in the right way. We continue to talk. The dialogue is professional.”

More at the link:

MLB On Cusp Of Ending Blackouts On Streaming Games Online And On Mobile Devices - Forbes

This means I'm on the cusp of actually getting rid of cable. Not being able to watch baseball playoffs with mlb.tv was really the only thing stopping me.

This means I'm on the cusp of actually getting rid of cable. Not being able to watch baseball playoffs with mlb.tv was really the only thing stopping me.

That and HBO requires cable

The details of the article make it sound like you will need to use authentication to prove you are subscribed to the cable channel before you can view the game.

So it doesn't appear to be helping cord cutters. It's better than nothing if you are in market. But it's not an alternative to having to subscribe to cable.

It would be nice to have the dan and jim audio with the FSD video. I remember mlbtv used to do that. Not sure if they still offer that or not.

The details of the article make it sound like you will need to use authentication to prove you are subscribed to the cable channel before you can view the game.

So it doesn't appear to be helping cord cutters. It's better than nothing if you are in market. But it's not an alternative to having to subscribe to cable.

It would be nice to have the dan and jim audio with the FSD video. I remember mlbtv used to do that. Not sure if they still offer that or not.

I think that you need to find the older version of the media player to do so.

Crap.

And yes, they do have the audio overlay with nexdef, but the old player has a different link and does NOT work with newer operating systems on Mac. Just stupid. Biggest thing I've missed about the games this year.

yup. I actually watched the ASG this way this year. It does really seem more an extension of your cable operator's on-line service than a change in what is available from MLB. The game is already running on the TV at your house, all this seems to be is making it more convenient to do what you already had the right to do through an internet television forwarding service like Slingbox.

Yeah I read this before and got excited... seems like its simply a logistical issue between cable providers and mlb operations.

Crap.

And yes, they do have the audio overlay with nexdef, but the old player has a different link and does NOT work with newer operating systems on Mac. Just stupid. Biggest thing I've missed about the games this year.

I have a Mac with OS X Mavericks and I watch games on MLB TV with the NexDef plugin. Why do you say it doesn't work on Macs?

I must say that even this year, the blackout situation is much better. I live in Windsor which is strangely considered Blue Jay's territory but none of the Detroit-Toronto games were blacked out on mlb.tv. None of the nationally televised games were blacked out for me either.

there are ways to bypass the blackouts (i.e. watch the tigers regular season games in michigan with mlbtv). just google it.

I have MLB.TV and I get Cubs and White Sox games on my laptop and on my Roku, but not on my iOS devices. I'm not sure why they do not block my IP address, but I'm not going to call to complain.

I get Dan and Jim on the Roku, which has a surprisingly good picture, almost as good as DTV. The best part is, the audio and video match up perfectly. So I can watch the game and enjoy the radio broadcast simultaneously on my TV rather than hunched over a laptop.

On the laptop there's some sort of glitch between NexDef and my machine where I might get Dan and Jim for anywhere from a few batters to a couple of innings, after which ppoint it will hang briefly and then NexDef will disengage, forcing me to either listen to Mario and Rod or close out the window and start all over. I almost always choose the latter.

I have MLB.TV and I get Cubs and White Sox games on my laptop and on my Roku, but not on my iOS devices. I'm not sure why they do not block my IP address, but I'm not going to call to complain.

I get Dan and Jim on the Roku, which has a surprisingly good picture, almost as good as DTV. The best part is, the audio and video match up perfectly. So I can watch the game and enjoy the radio broadcast simultaneously on my TV rather than hunched over a laptop.

On the laptop there's some sort of glitch between NexDef and my machine where I might get Dan and Jim for anywhere from a few batters to a couple of innings, after which ppoint it will hang briefly and then NexDef will disengage, forcing me to either listen to Mario and Rod or close out the window and start all over. I almost always choose the latter.

Same thing happens to me all the time. It buffers for a sec then Rod is intoning his wisdom instead of Jim,

Same thing happens to me all the time. It buffers for a sec then Rod is intoning his wisdom instead of Jim,

Huh. I thought it was more a problem with my machine. Maybe it is. And your machine too.

One other observation: on the laptop and Roku, in between innings, they give you blissful silence and a billboard announcing you are in commercial break. On iOS devices, though, they hammer you with commercials, and the same commercials over and over all game. Especially horrible are those insipid "Bucks on the Pond" segments, of which they appear to have filmed a grand total of four all year, yet they show you these same segments a dozen times throughout the game, every game of the year. It's as though it's designed to make you quit MLB.tv altogether.