davidsb

08/23/2014: GAME 1: Detroit Tigers (Farmer) at Minnesota Twins (Pino) - 1:10p

Is it "Red" Lobstein or "Rock" Lobstein?

I think much of the fault is on the GM. DD is awful. Really overrated as a GM. He picks up guys beyond their prime. Nathan. Torii. Plusses for him would include getting rid of Prince, finding JD on the scrap heap, negatives would be his failure to assemble a bullpen, thinking Casti could play third, the Fister trade. He got fooled big time on Robbie Ray. And Kroll. He's been wrong on so many LH relievers over the years.

Embarrassing.

Edited by Chili Mac Davis

Well, here's a little bit of life, and after all, the Twins are still the Twins. So if there's going to be a dramatic comeback, it's going to be against this team.

I agree with everything but the "window" talk. How is the team right now unlike the Red Sox the year before they won the ship?

Sure, we could be like the Red Sox, too, if we get lucky like the Red Sox did. Because they were in last in 2102 and are in last this year, with a surprise championship as the sandwich meat. There is nothing about their system last year that led anyone to pick them as a contender, let alone a World Series champion.

Is it "Red" Lobstein or "Rock" Lobstein?

I think much of the fault is on the GM. DD is awful. Really overrated as a GM. He picks up guys beyond their prime. Nathan. Torii. Plusses for him would include getting rid of Prince, finding JD on the scrap heap, negatives would be his failure to assemble a bullpen, thinking Casti could play third, the Fister trade. He got fooled big time on Robbie Ray. And Kroll. He's been wrong on so many LH relievers over the years.

Embarrassing.

Come on I'm as frustrated as anyone and DD has had a bad offseason but you can't ignore some of his magnificent trades. He has absolutely fleeced some teams

I am curious now what this season would have looked like with McClendon as manager instead of Ausmus...

Still the same. The Fister trade is killing us!!!!

Also injuries.

Edited by kevy323

Still the same. The Fister trade is killing us!!!!

Also injuries.

The Fister trade was awful, but Rary and Krol have hardly determined the fate of our season. And Porcello has done every bit as well in the #4 spot as Fister did, while Smyly and Price have done just as well or better in the 5th spot as Porcello did last year. So I don't know that the trade itself "hurt" us as much as it "failed to help" us (by providing better pieces that we really needed, i.e. good bullpen arms).

One problem which highlights our lack of depth is whenever we get a runner in scoring position someone like Kelly Romine or Carrera is up.

Most entertaining part of game: Tigers sports writers feuding on twitter.

Agreed. I think Henning tried to use the direct message feature to Paul and failed. And then didn't realize it. Comical.

It's crazy how soft this fan base has become, you would think this was the ******* Red Sox forum.

-Starting SS, starting LF and our setup man have not played a game this year.

-Porcello stepped up this year and has done a damn good Fister impersonation, but everyone loves to ***** about the Fister trade still. Boo ******* hoo

-Everyone knew Ray was not ready for prime-time, but they still ***** about him. Krol was good for a few months and then went bad--just a kid, but WE WANT BLOOD!

-The elite closer we signed has been a complete bust, who really saw him being THIS bad?

-The setup man we trade for goes on the DL after looking awful. Again, who can predict that?

-Sanchez goes down and we need to bring up rookies to pitch--that's the price you pay for having a bunch of All-Stars on a mid-market team.

-Verlander has the worst year of his career, and it is because of dimepiece--what is this, the ******* 50s? He isn't the first power pitcher to go through a mid-life outage.

-Fielder was traded for Kinsler in a money-saving move in favor of bringing back Infante, but fans still ***** about trading Fielder (somehow).

-Smyly was up and down this year, as was AJax (who everyone ****** about anyway). We traded them for the 2nd best LHP in baseball, but DD somehow sucks now!!!

-Davis and JD overperform this year, but DD sucks!!!

-Casty has performed just like most thought he would, but hey, let's ***** about the rookie because DD sucks for trading Fielder and moving Miggy back to 1B!!!

-Suarez has performed like an average MLB SS instead of like the AA SS he was before we called him up, but let's ***** about not giving Peralta All-Star money!

-Last but not least, Ausmus sucks so let's bring in Gene ******* Lamont to inspire the club.

You would think the world was ending.

Enjoy the second game, if Upton lets Verlander out her hotel room to pitch.

Can the Tigers make a roster move between games? Can they send down Farmer and have someone else as player 26? Or could they send McCoy back down and have someone else in the bullpen?

It's crazy how soft this fan base has become, you would think this was the ******* Red Sox forum.

-Porcello stepped up this year and has done a damn good Fister impersonation, but everyone loves to ***** about the Fister trade still. Boo ******* hoo

-Everyone knew Ray was not ready for prime-time, but they still ***** about him. Krol was good for a few months and then went bad--just a kid, but WE WANT BLOOD!

-The elite closer we signed has been a complete bust, who really saw him being THIS bad?

-The setup man we trade for goes on the DL after looking awful. Again, who can predict that?

-Sanchez goes down and we need to bring up rookies to pitch--that's the price you pay for having a bunch of All-Stars on a mid-market team.

-Verlander has the worst year of his career, and it is because of dimepiece--what is this, the ******* 50s? He isn't the first power pitcher to go through a mid-life outage.

-Fielder was traded for Kinsler in a money-saving move in favor of bringing back Infante, but fans still ***** about trading Fielder (somehow).

-Smyly was up and down this year, as was AJax (who everyone ****** about anyway). We traded them for the 2nd best LHP in baseball, but DD somehow sucks now!!!

-Casty has performed just like most thought he would, but hey, let's ***** about the rookie because DD sucks for trading Fielder and moving Miggy back to 1B!!!

-Suarez has performed like an average MLB SS instead of like the AA SS he was before we called him up, but let's ***** about not giving Peralta All-Star money!

-Last but not least, Ausmus sucks so let's bring in Gene ******* Lamont to inspire the club.

I don't know a single person upset about the Fielder trade, even with Kinsler having an awful second half.

Also, Ausmus is so bad that Gene Lamont, who we all hate, would absolutely be a better option.

Plus, everything else you said sort of compounds. This has been a very unenjoyable season.

If they get swept this weekend in Minnesota, Brad Ausmus will be out of a job on Monday and Gene Lamont will be the interim manager.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but this team has an eerily similar feel from the Leyland managed teams. At first, I think Ausmus had control, things looked fresh and different. But as the season wore on, it began to revert back to the old ways, very little base stealing, plenty of DKB, sticking with a reliever who has clearly lost his touc, etc. So it would seem like Lamont is already running things and that may be part of the problem. Maybe hiring his own staff would have made a difference? Lamont and Jeff Jones always seem to be at his hip.

The Twins top prospects are still a year or two away, but when they get called up I can see the Twins passing the Tigers in the standings as early as next season. With that said, I believe the Tigers win tonight and Sunday to salvage a split. Kansas City is not that good, so there is still a good shot we can get into the playoffs this season.

This rant is as bad as the rants you are ranting against!

I'd go for that but their problems go beyond Ausmus. Leyland could probably handle it better, but this team has some gaping holes, ones that could have been anticipated going into the season.

I don't disagree. I've always thought though that there was something fundamentally wrong about an organization that wouldn't build a defense and bullpen worthy of their starting pitching.

The last thing I want to see while the Tigers are struggling like this is Don Kelly's stupid monkey face at the plate. Although now that the Tigers are struggling, he's a better fit for the team.

Bullpen really isn't in that bad of shape with Lobstein eating all these innings.

They need to start winning now with JV back in the rotation and figure out what to do instead of having AAA starters in place of Sanchez. Maybe Hardy can start and pitch a few innings those games. Price starts the games before so the bullpen should be rested.

They are 1 1/2 back of Seattle and 3 back of KC, but those aren't insurmountable deficits. They still have a good offense and rotation and hopefully they'll get Soria and Sanchez back soon.

Most entertaining part of game: Tigers sports writers feuding on twitter.

Who's fueding?