davidsb

08/11/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Pittsburgh Pirates (Locke) - 7:05p

Great effort tonight, JV. Why don't you tell us again how you're getting closer to where you need to be and aren't really that worried about it. *@#$%@#$

Also, nice work, JD. Have you completely forgotten how to handle balls in the outfield cleanly? Jesus.

His last couple starts were just a mirage. He still wasn't striking anyone out and was getting by on BABIP luck. Until he starts striking guys out while also limiting walks, there's nothing to get excited about.

No, it's not a mirage when one day he throws his FB mostly 94 and hits the zone 80% of the time vs coming out at 89 and walking guys. Who mentioned 'box of chocolates' in another thread. We just dont know who who is going to show up in each of his starts.

He just finally threw two good FBs 36 pitches in. Where were they when he came in?

I can only imagine PEDs. No issue in speculating that.

A fastball at 92 now is a joke. He robbed Illitch.

The reasons he might be bad now:

Got his contract, stopped using PEDs

Still recovering from the core surgery (Though it still doesn't explain why he sucked most of last year)

Injury that he's hiding

Too many innings on his arm over the years.

Kate

When do we discuss Miguel?

Just tired of these guys getting huge contracts and then immediately turning into ****.

Season done. Sorry guys, but I'm calling it now. Certainly hope I'm wrong but this is as down on a Tigers team as I've been since 08.

No, that's accurate IMO. Ausmus was not the man for a late season blip. Should've offered Leyland a Private Island and one more year. And to think jokesters here ragged on JL

The reasons he might be bad now:

Got his contract, stopped using PEDs

Still recovering from the core surgery (Though it still doesn't explain why he sucked most of last year)

Injury that he's hiding

Too many innings on his arm over the years.

Kate

When do we discuss Miguel?

Just tired of these guys getting huge contracts and then immediately turning into ****.

Truly have thought PEDs as strong possibility before last year.

OK, so he gave up 5 in the 1st. I don't understand all the panic here. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

His last couple starts were just a mirage. He still wasn't striking anyone out and was getting by on BABIP luck. Until he starts striking guys out while also limiting walks, there's nothing to get excited about.

Just struck out the side. JV's back baby.

This has become a very angry, depressed place.

Blowing an 8 game lead in two weeks will do that.

OK, so he gave up 5 in the 1st. I don't understand all the panic here. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Do you think the Tigers are likely to score 4 or more runs in the next 8 innings?

And I'm sorry, but if PEDs magically make you gain 5-8 mph on your fastball and a nasty breaking ball then every pitcher in MLB would be on them and Verlander would never have stopped taking them if he was on them.

Whether it's injury or over use or whatever, he's just cooked. We can only hope that it's the injury and he might be usable again next year.

Truly have thought PEDs as strong possibility before last year.

I did also. I am just hoping that's not the case.

He is either weak or just trying to get by without working hard anymore. That 89 mph FB is garbage and gets knocked around the park every damn time he starts trying to slide by with it. And none of the breaking stuff is worth anything off a sub 90s FB either. It doesn't do anyone any good to find the good FB once you've given up 5 runs.

Edited by Gehringer_2