davidsb

08/11/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Pittsburgh Pirates (Locke) - 7:05p

Hey, Jeff Francouer (or whatever) is available!

Don't the Tigers need someone who has good ABs and like you know produces?

Can Hardy be recalled tomorrow when they put Sanchez on the DL? Krol or Miller will be sent down for Ray and then the leftover one goes down for Johnson later in the week. Whelan is probably up to stay until Soria comes off the DL. Maybe Soria is gone until rosters expand anyway and it won't matter.

JV is going 4/4

I'll have some of what you are having, please.

will have to move him into RF to keep his bat in the game when his arm gets tired on the mound.

There was an extra inning game that the Mets (I think) were involved in and the did this with a couple of pitchers. One would pitch the 13th and play RF in the 14h, the other would play RF in the 13th and pitch the 14th. I think it was two of Roger McDowell, Jesse Orosco, Joe Franco. I was waiting for ol' salty Lamont to employ that strategy after moving Martinez to 1B and Cabrera to 3B or Martinez to C. Alas, it was not to be.

Bam! Here is the box score of the useless trivia that I recalled. No idea why I remember this and have a poor time remembering phone numbers.

I'll have some of what you are having, please.

There was an extra inning game that the Mets (I think) were involved in and the did this with a couple of pitchers. One would pitch the 13th and play RF in the 14h, the other would play RF in the 13th and pitch the 14th. I think it was two of Roger McDowell, Jesse Orosco, Joe Franco. I was waiting for ol' salty Lamont to employ that strategy after moving Martinez to 1B and Cabrera to 3B or Martinez to C. Alas, it was not to be.

Bam! Here is the box score of the useless trivia that I recalled. No idea why I remember this and have a poor time remembering phone numbers.

Haha, that's awesome.

Who will get more hits tonight, JV or Miggy?

I would appreciate Cabrera's 5/5 to one up Verlander's 4/4.

Remember when the Tigers were boasting about Crosby? Guess he even had the pro scouts fooled....

I think two things happened with Crosby.

1. Injuries. Lots of them.

2. He was another in a long stream of arms that had velocity and not much else and the Tigers thought they could polish him up. It'd be okay if their whole organizational pitching philosophy wasn't this.

Haha, that's awesome.

Just look at that boxscore. It is a beauty, and besides the Ps playing OF:

Eric Davis PR for Pete Rose. Cincy P Tom Browning then had to PR for Davis.

Gary Carter played a little 3B.

Both starting Ps only went 5 IP each.

Wally Backman had only 3 PAs in the second spot of the lineup.

Darryl Strawberry had only 3 PAs in the fifth spot of the lineup. Kevin Mitchell replaced him and had only 2 PAs.

10 RPs were used that day. All of them except for the Reds' last RP went more than one inning. Contrast that to today's bullpen usage.

The Mets had also played a 15 inning game on Sunday before this Tuesday game.

I read a story today about a 16 year old kid that has a plus fastball and curveball.

This does not impress me at all. I fully expect one or two TJ operations in his future.

Can Hardy be recalled tomorrow when they put Sanchez on the DL? Krol or Miller will be sent down for Ray and then the leftover one goes down for Johnson later in the week. Whelan is probably up to stay until Soria comes off the DL. Maybe Soria is gone until rosters expand anyway and it won't matter.

Yes he can. I thought Sanchez went on the DL already, but I thought the same about Soria. Seeing as they haven't used anyone in sanchez's spot yet, I'm guessing he isn't on the DL yet.

I would guess that hardy comes back up tomorrow for Sanchez.

They would then need to ship someone out for Ray. It would have to be miller or krol, and I'm guessing both will pitch tonight.

I don't understand the point, though. Why not just keep hardy up and DL Sanchez to make room for one of the new guys. Then send one down to make room for Ray.

It doesn't make a difference, so I guess it's just a matter of leaving all options open until absolutely necessary. Either way, they can get hardy or McCoy back early by finally sending Sanchez to the DL.

Pittsburgh has cleared up! Unless more pops up the game should be a go.

I wish Ausmus would bunt his runners over once in a while.

The Tigers had a guy at 2nd a few times with none out but no bunts to get the runner over and the Tigers could not score.

I think baseball is changing and the Oakland A's system of never bunting does not work as well today. We need to score every extra run we can scratch out. Had we done that yesterday we win in 9 innings. Wasted 10 innings of pitching because Ausmus was playing for the big inning.

I just wish he would realize a run is big. Especially the 1st run of the game. The Tigers cannot score any way you look at it though. 15 innings of zeroes. That is just offensive (:square:) see what I just did there?

The Tigers had a guy at 2nd a few times with none out but no bunts to get the runner over and the Tigers could not score.

I think baseball is changing and the Oakland A's system of never bunting does not work as well today. We need to score every extra run we can scratch out. Had we done that yesterday we win in 9 innings. Wasted 10 innings of pitching because Ausmus was playing for the big inning.

I just wish he would realize a run is big. Especially the 1st run of the game. The Tigers cannot score any way you look at it though. 15 innings of zeroes. That is just offensive (:square:) see what I just did there?

The A's have 10 sac bunts, fewest in baseball, this year, and have scored an MLB-most 573 runs.

Bunting a runner to 3rd will lower your chances of scoring.

Not exactly true. Bunting a single runner to third when there are no outs will increase your chance of scoring a single run. Late in a tie game or trailing by one, or leading by one, it's not a bad move. I might even say that doing it in the 8th inning or later regardless of score, if you are leading, it's the right move.

It's a decrease in total run expectancy, though.

Bunting a runner into scoring position? Some people are against this, ever, for any reason. I see the point in it under certain circumstances. First off, it has to be a hitter who can actually bunt. I never, ever want to see a Cabrera type hitter bunting, even if he could. Other hitters may not be able to get a bunt down either and can actually do more harm than good. Late in a game with the tie or winning run on base? Sure, if a weak hitter is up who is good at bunting. But only if you have hitters coming up who can actually get that runner in. I wouldn't sacrifice to get Holiday or Romine up.