davidsb

08/11/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Pittsburgh Pirates (Locke) - 7:05p

I'd be down with it as long as it's one of those "we'll make it up if we need to" games.

Would they dare consider a game Thur night in Comerica where Pit is the home team? Have they ever done that?

I think they did it last year for someone.

Edit: it was reds and giants last July.

Edited by Shelton

Hoping for a rainout. The team needs it.

Will the moisture help their bats?

I think they did it last year for someone.

Edit: it was reds and giants last July.

In my best Beavis voice.... 'that would be cool'.

Would the PA guy hype up the Pirate players and downplay the Tigers?

I have seen Locke pitch multiple times. He is a really annoying pitcher, he has very underwhelming stuff, but seems to get a lot of lucky groundballs and warning track flyouts. I think the Tigers will eat this guy up.

Edited by RedTeamGo!

It's hard to believe the Tigers are 5-5 this month.

Of their 5 losses, only one has been by more than a single run. I don't believe teams have some secret ability to win 1-run games at will, so it shouldn't be that a team has an ability to lose close games for any reason other than bad luck, correct? Not managing, not bad bullpens, a 1-run game generally has more to do with a lucky bounce here or there than anything else. You have to think the 1-run losses will turn into 1-run wins later on, correct? I mean look at yesterday. Two very close plays at 2nd that were overturned cost them the game. It really doesn't take much sometimes. Eventually the ball has to bounce their way, I would assume.

And KC will not keep winning at such a ridiculous pace. The'll level off and probably play about even with the Tigers the rest of the way. But they've won 10 of 11 and that can't go on forever.

I agree with you that I don't there is a specific skill or mentality or acumen or whatever that determines who wins one run games over the long term. Baltimore won a bunch of one run games a few seasons ago, but I don't think you can look at that club and determine what factor was behind that. They were a wildcard that season, yet they allowed more runs than they scored.

Looking specifically at this past Toronto series, either team was close to sweeping or being swept. Nathan nearly gave away Friday's game. Nathan & Ausmus gave away Saturday's game. And I know how this sounds because it is after the fact, but there's no reason to not have had Whelan or somebody else brought up for Sunday considering Soria was on the DL and Nathan had thrown poorly for two consecutive days. It's hard to know how things would have played out with the extra arm in the bullpen, but Toledo to Toronto isn't a difficult trek to make. I think it is reasonable to assume that poor decision making easily cost the Tigers a game this weekend.

You are probably right that Kansas City isn't going to keep winning at this rate. But what happens if Cabrera goes down for a few weeks? That just reduces the margin for error by a good amount. So, while I still believe that the Tigers are going to win the division, I don't Kansas City can be ignored unless the Tigers can build up another lead. And series like this weekend are tough to swallow. It goes up there with dropping the San Diego series earlier this season.

Playing in an NL park tonight and tomorrow might do some indirect good. Maybe a few games at 3B for Cabrera can get him going again. Strange things like that happen, so who knows.

Hoping for a rainout. The team needs it.

I don't think so. There are already a couple of doubleheaders coming up.

Edit: Maybe the bullpen could use it. The doubleheader would also allow the 26th roster spot for the day, too. Maybe it would be beneficial.

My bold prediction: JV is gonna JV. He has been improving of late, and I think right now would be a phenomenal time for him to return to form.

If we win today, the royals cannot catch us today.

Pretty simple, really. Not sure why they didn't think of that.

If KC doesn't lose again, we will need to win the remainder of our games to win the division.

If KC doesn't lose again, we will need to win the remainder of our games to win the division.

It's time for guys to step up.

Leyland needs to light a fire under them.

That hack Tony Paul has an article in the detroit news today about McCann. In it, he mentions that the tigers called up four pitchers from Toledo.

Miller krol whelan and Ray.

I think that is incorrect. I think it's abundantly clear that they will be calling up three pitchers.

Miller and Krol were announced by the international league already. They would obviously step right in to fill the two DL spots. They also require no corresponding 40 man roster move.

We also know that whelan is getting called up. It hasn't been officially announced but it will require a guy be removed from the 40 man.

There is just no reason to call up Ray today and I would be shocked if they did. Now, maybe Tony Paul is just being casual with his usage "calling up" and not using it in the technical sense. I'm sure Ray was telephoned and that he is in Pittsburgh. But it's still a hack job to say four players were called up.

Whelan will have to take someone's spot. I expect that to be McCoy.

Whose spot does Ray take if he is called up today?

What is going to happen is that Ray will be called up tomorrow and miller/krol will go back to Toledo.

Then when Johnson is ready on Friday, he will replace whelan or krol/miller.

The lesson, as always, is that Tony Paul is a hack.

I have seen Locke pitch multiple times. He is a really annoying pitcher, he has very underwhelming stuff, but seems to get a lot of lucky groundballs and warning track flyouts. I think the Tigers will eat this guy up.

Then he's due for a no-hitter. Not a perfect game but a mere no-hitter. It's not like I want to get a reputation as a nattering nabob of negativism.

The tigers just announced a bunch of the moves, and it's hilarious.

Soria officially to DL.

Hardy and McCoy optioned to Toledo.

So, by my count, they now have four openings on the team when you include the Sanchez DL.

They called up miller, krol, and whelan. They released Casey Crosby.

They also announced they would call up Ray prior to tomorrow's game, and a corresponding roster move would be announced. I guess that could be Sanchez to the DL if that hasn't happened yet.

Still, it makes no sense to option hardy, because they can't call him back up for 10 days now.

It's not a big deal, but hardy was the preferred arm relative to any of the guys called up today, so I would think that he would be the guy to stay up. I guess not.

I guess if hardy and McCoy are both out until Wednesday at the earliest, they would want to ensure that they have arms for Tuesday and would keep all three just called up.

Still, there is no reason to be playing one man short like they are tonight. Four guys out. Three guys in. One more in tomorrow. Nonsense.

Still, there is no reason to be playing one man short like they are tonight. Four guys out. Three guys in. One more in tomorrow. Nonsense.

Balderdash. What are the odds that one arm short screws 'em two days in a row? And who needs an extra arm in an NL park when pitchers bat? Just keep a RP in to hit late in a game because the roster dictates to do so.

Balderdash. What are the odds that one arm short screws 'em two days in a row? And who needs an extra arm in an NL park when pitchers bat? Just keep a RP in to hit late in a game because the roster dictates to do so.

JV is going 4/4, will have to move him into RF to keep his bat in the game when his arm gets tired on the mound.

JV will take a 3-0 lead into the ninth, which will be closed out by another pitcher tbd. Nathan will blow tomorrow's two run lead and we will lose in 14 innings.

I guess we find out from this game forward what this team is made of. Do they fight and scratch for every win, and stop making so many mental blunders. Or do they continue to flounder, having terrible at bats and continue to make fielding miscues. Can the bullpen become more reliable and bear down on every pitch. We'll see.