davidsb

08/11/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Pittsburgh Pirates (Locke) - 7:05p

From the PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, it is the...

pittsburgh2.jpg

DETROIT TIGERS

visiting the

Pittsburgh Pirates

Pitching Match-up

Justin Verlander (10-10, 4.57 era) vs Jeff Locke (3-3, 3.78 era)

6341.png&w=350&h=25431068.png&w=350&h=254

Happy birthday to these former Tigers:

Al Pedrique 54, Bill Monbouquette 78, Bobo Newsom 1907-1962

34884.jpg

FoxSportsDetroit.png

Verlander's made some strides since mid-June and he's also owned the NL. Plus he really needs to give at least 7 innings, and more like 8, given the debacle from the last two games. So we'll see. Happy Verday.

Happy to see Whelan called up too. If you don't recall, he was drafted a Tigers and went to New York in the Sheffield deal. Pitched all of 1.2 innings in the majors. He's 30. Let's see if he's got anything. He's shown decent control this season but his career milb walk rate is brutal. In his 1.2 IP stint, he was a fastball/split guy at 91. We'll see.

Verlander's made some strides since mid-June and he's also owned the NL. Plus he really needs to give at least 7 innings, and more like 8, given the debacle from the last two games. So we'll see. Happy Verday.

My hope is that JV's confidence in his FB comes back as well as the pitch seems to be coming back. In three of his last 4 starts it has had really good movement, but he is still really reluctant to throw a high FB for a swing and miss -- and I think that can/should be a useful piece of his game again.

Happy to see Whelan called up too. If you don't recall, he was drafted a Tigers and went to New York in the Sheffield deal. Pitched all of 1.2 innings in the majors. He's 30. Let's see if he's got anything. He's shown decent control this season but his career milb walk rate is brutal. In his 1.2 IP stint, he was a fastball/split guy at 91. We'll see.
I'm also hoping for success for Kevin.

118485763_c3edcd28ae_z.jpg

Booking it?

Biggs is our resident travel agent. Nothing gets booked until he says to book it.

It's hard to believe the Tigers are 5-5 this month.

Of their 5 losses, only one has been by more than a single run. I don't believe teams have some secret ability to win 1-run games at will, so it shouldn't be that a team has an ability to lose close games for any reason other than bad luck, correct? Not managing, not bad bullpens, a 1-run game generally has more to do with a lucky bounce here or there than anything else. You have to think the 1-run losses will turn into 1-run wins later on, correct? I mean look at yesterday. Two very close plays at 2nd that were overturned cost them the game. It really doesn't take much sometimes. Eventually the ball has to bounce their way, I would assume.

And KC will not keep winning at such a ridiculous pace. The'll level off and probably play about even with the Tigers the rest of the way. But they've won 10 of 11 and that can't go on forever.

Since I tend to be overdramatic, I am almost capable of saying that I lost a part of my soul during that 19 inning loss yesterday. But I'm not that crazy. Congratulations to the 2014 World Series champions Detroit Tigers, the journey to that title begins today!

gabe kapler ‏@gabekapler 3m

#Tigers fans, you lose your best (by FIP) starter and reliever, must stay level headed, 2nd best OBP in AL, still have solid starter or 2.

Happy to see Whelan called up....

I still think Krol could give the pen a nice lift *if* he has been able to get back to his pre-injury form. He sure wasn't when he came back to Detroit most recently, but he has finally shown some signs in Toledo of rounding back into form.

I'd be down with it as long as it's one of those "we'll make it up if we need to" games.

Would they dare consider a game Thur night in Comerica where Pit is the home team? Have they ever done that?