davidsb

08/10/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) at Toronto Blue Jays (Buehrle) - 1:07p

We'll leave that up to Mr. Bigglesworth.

I'm freaked out right now. They're really, really playing with fire with less than 50 games to go.

Now I'm naturally a half glass empty kind of guy but I just can't help but think about how much of a organizational disaster of biblical proportions it would be if this team were to miss the playoffs.

Once again a huge division lead (7.5 heading into the Angels series) is all but gone. Down to a half game.

Is everybody still super confident and assuming this team is going to win the division?

Less confident but still expect them to win it.

I still expect them to win it, despite being Mr. Negative

However, they're sure miserable to watch at the moment

Where does this game rank among longest Tigers games in team history?

2nd

I suppose if these guys were normal people, the flight to Pittsburgh would be sort of quiet after a game such as this. But since you have to be fairly cold blooded and not get too up or too down to perform at this level, my guess is that they've already shaken it off.

I sort of miss Leyland at a moment like this. He was like a battle-hardened veteran who'd gone home then went back to the front because it was all he knew. All you had to do was see him to take courage from this experience. I get no sense of heroic tenacity from Ausmus. He's not a bad man, he just hasn't been bloodied in countless campaigns. As a fan, I liked that about Jim. Maybe the players could care less. I don't know.

Monroe has jumped the shark.

greg monroe couldnt jump over a shark...

wait, wrong forum...

I suppose if these guys were normal people, the flight to Pittsburgh would be sort of quiet after a game such as this. But since you have to be fairly cold blooded and not get too up or too down to perform at this level, my guess is that they've already shaken it off.

I sort of miss Leyland at a moment like this. He was like a battle-hardened veteran who'd gone home then went back to the front because it was all he knew. All you had to do was see him to take courage from this experience. I get no sense of heroic tenacity from Ausmus. He's not a bad man, he just hasn't been bloodied in countless campaigns. As a fan, I liked that about Jim. Maybe the players could care less. I don't know.

When they hired ausmus they tell the story from the 2005 NLCS when the astros were like one strike away from the pennant... george and Barbara bush sitting behind the plate and pujols hit a bomb. Plane ride to st. Louis was quiet and brad loosened it up with a joke about the ball landing. As a player maybe thats easier to do than a manager. I really have no idea. Never been in a live clubhouse. When leyland walked in did they all behave and listen? Do they with brad? Is there any reaction?

And whats he supposed to handle? "Look guys I know I screwed uo by pitching joe instead of soria". He cant say that kind of thing.

I don't miss Leyland but I think they should have hired Lloyd. I am just so disappointed in Ausmus.

I don't miss Leyland but I think they should have hired Lloyd. I am just so disappointed in Ausmus.

I'm most disappointed in Ausmus in the sense that I expected so much more. I had read about his baseball IQ, but he really does things by the book almost to a fault. He doesn't play hunches, which people can debate, but that means he's likely not keeping guys in long enough or keeping them out their too long. His decisions and foresight seem lacking. Sitting Cabrera one game where Saurez and Hunter were available he next day for example. I just don't get it, seems very rigid in his thinking.

Of course, Geno was in charge.

He was in charge during the bullpen meltdown as well.

I'm most disappointed in Ausmus in the sense that I expected so much more. I had read about his baseball IQ, but he really does things by the book almost to a fault. He doesn't play hunches, which people can debate, but that means he's likely not keeping guys in long enough or keeping them out their too long. His decisions and foresight seem lacking. Sitting Cabrera one game where Saurez and Hunter were available he next day for example. I just don't get it, seems very rigid in his thinking.

This. If so and so is the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning guy, they come in. If they clearly have nothing, doesn't matter, he wants them to finish that inning. Only after they give up 3 runs does he realize he needs to get someone else in there. He just has no feel for that aspect of the game at all, and that's really weird being he's an ex-catcher. I really don't have a problem with everything else. Pinch-hitters/runners rarely make a difference. But leaving a bad/tired reliever in too long can make a huge difference.