davidsb

08/10/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) at Toronto Blue Jays (Buehrle) - 1:07p

Nice recollection. When I was 8 or 9 my parents sometimes gave me the choice of watching the Tiger game with my dad and having a small cup of Strohs beer in a little tin juice cup with him, or going outside and playing with my friends. I always chose the Tiger game and the small tin cup of Strohs maybe just a couple ounces. My mom said I couldn't go out and play with my friends after that, because somebody might smell beer on my breath and call the police.
Ditto on the recollection. Good story.

Replace General Picket with Ausmus and General Lee with Dave Dombrowski.

"General Manager Dombrowski, I have no more bullpen"

Replace General Picket with Ausmus and General Lee with Dave Dombrowski.

"General Manager Dombrowski, I have no more bullpen"

One of my favorite war quotes after Lee's initiative at Gettysburgh. That's such a haunting admittance of fault and self confidence entering battle

I'm almost positive he was pulled, regardless of the public patting of brads back he made.

I think he knew the 8th was his last inning, so he gave it all he had. Same thing as last year in the ALCS.

Nice recollection. When I was 8 or 9 my parents sometimes gave me the choice of watching the Tiger game with my dad and having a small cup of Strohs beer in a little tin juice cup with him, or going outside and playing with my friends. I always chose the Tiger game and the small tin cup of Strohs maybe just a couple ounces. My mom said I couldn't go out and play with my friends after that, because somebody might smell beer on my breath and call the police.

Child of subversives, eh? Figures.

:laugh:

Monroe is getting almost over the top. He just said about Toronto "credit their pitchers who are paid to get guys out",

I credit Sheppard for promptly saying "but really? 19 men left on base with a powerful supposed offense?"

I think he knew the 8th was his last inning, so he gave it all he had. Same thing as last year in the ALCS.

I wish someone would just ask him point blank. Did you tell Brad you were done after the 8th inning? He might not throw his manager under the bus but if he didn't answer it with a straight yes, you'd know for sure

one IP, one walk, nothing else on his line.

Kinda wonder if they are tempted...he only pitched one inning. I thought he was supposed to go 2. I also wonder if we are getting a raft of guys going to Pittsburgh after this game.

I wish someone would just ask him point blank. Did you tell Brad you were done after the 8th inning? He might not throw his manager under the bus but if he didn't answer it with a straight yes, you'd know for sure

Scherzer was interviewed after the game and, in part, said, "We’re not going to sit here and second-guess the manager.”

To me, it sounds like it was the manager's decision to remove him from the game.

:alien:

Once again a huge division lead (7.5 heading into the Angels series) is all but gone. Down to a half game.

Is everybody still super confident and assuming this team is going to win the division?

We'll leave that up to Mr. Bigglesworth.

I agree with this, but I think he knew that it was his last inning because he knew that regardless of how he looked, Ausmus was putting in Nathan for the 9th

Monroe is getting almost over the top. He just said about Toronto "credit their pitchers who are paid to get guys out",

I credit Sheppard for promptly saying "but really? 19 men left on base with a powerful supposed offense?"

Monroe has jumped the shark.

I agree with this, but I think he knew that it was his last inning because he knew that regardless of how he looked, Ausmus was putting in Nathan for the 9th

That sounds accurate. One thing I definitely don't believe is that he begged out of the game because he's not competitive or lacks guts.