davidsb

08/05/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) at New York Yankees (Kuroda) -7:05p

What makes you say he is questionable in right field?

He doesn't have a great arm, but his range could make up for it.

Why can't I have a guy who has range and can throw? Huh?

But, yes, his range would be better than Torii's. So might this guy's...

comcast-turtle-640x392.png&w=620&zc=1&q=100

Davis leading off against a righty. Awesome.

Rajai v. Kiroda (5/16)

.313 .353 .563 .915

Very Nice!

Matt Thornton claimed by Washington. That means Detroit did not claim him. He is in the first year of a two year 7 million contract. I wonder if that is the reason they passed?

He did go 2 for 4 in his first game, but in his 2nd game he went 0-4 with a strikeout.

Almost...

0-3 2K first game

2-4 2R second game

0-4 1K third game

Almost...

0-3 2K first game

2-4 2R second game

0-4 1K third game

Oh, guess I missed one.

Matt Thornton claimed by Washington. That means Detroit did not claim him. He is in the first year of a two year 7 million contract. I wonder if that is the reason they passed?

It's a bit puzzling that the Yankees would let him go for nothing, and that the tigers would not claim him. He's having a good year, and the money isn't substantial.

They were supposedly in on Andrew miller, so we know they would like to add a lefty.

It's a bit puzzling that the Yankees would let him go for nothing, and that the tigers would not claim him. He's having a good year, and the money isn't substantial.

They were supposedly in on Andrew miller, so we know they would like to add a lefty.

New York may very well pull him back but I'm not sure why Detroit would not claim him.

New York may very well pull him back but I'm not sure why Detroit would not claim him.

I interpreted the barrage of tweets to mean that the yanks had already decided to let him go.

But I think I'm mistaken, and that makes more sense.

He's a valuable asset and the yanks should be able to get something of value for if they decide to trade him.

Still doesn't explain why no AL teams made a claim, and especially the tigers.

Nope, I wasn't mistaken. He's on the nats now. The Yankees didn't pull him back.

I don't get it.

Nope, I wasn't mistaken. He's on the nats now. The Yankees didn't pull him back.

I don't get it.

I don't either. It's not like the Yankees are out of it or can't afford him.

Tigers have a low claim priority in the Al correct? Would the thinking be that if we claimed him someone else with higher priority in our division would also and thus it was better for us to have him change leagues than make one of our direct competitors better?

Davis the spark plug is back up top. Looks for good things in this game. I sadly have to DVR it as we will be returning to Disneyland this evening. Sad.

Tigers have a low claim priority in the Al correct? Would the thinking be that if we claimed him someone else with higher priority in our division would also and thus it was better for us to have him change leagues than make one of our direct competitors better?

He cleared the entire AL first and then the NL. It's my understand that teams make a claim and the winning team is awarded after the waiver period is over so teams do not know who claimed who.

---r so teams do not know who claimed who.

I have always wondered about how much back channel communication there is between GMs on this. Still, if I have a 1st place team, I suppose I know I'm going to be unsuccessful on most waiver claims anyway.

The tigers not putting in a claim would mean that Oakland and Anaheim could get him.

Of course, they passed also.

Some people are commenting that he hasn't been very good this year as a loogy fireman. His re24 supports that. Lots of inherited runners are scoring.

Maybe teams just don't think he is good. He might not be good if he has a problem with coming in during an inning without any margin for error.

I think the Tigers were in on Miller b/c they need a lefty who can get both LHB and RHB out. Thornton could be seen as just a LOOGY at this point in his career and the Tigers already have that in Coke/Krol/Hardy with similar stats against LHB.

I was thinking the same thing. I really don't think they need a lefty.

Then I remembered that they almost paid a big price to get miller for 20 innings. But you are right, miller is a better reliever overall.

The more I look at Thornton, he isn't all that good. It's making more sense why the Yankees were content to just let him walk.

I prefer that my leadoff hitter be a catalyst.

Spark plugs are useless to me when the middle of my lineup is pure diesel.

I don't mind a spark plug in my rotation, because they all throw gas.