davidsb

08/05/2014: Detroit Tigers (Price) at New York Yankees (Kuroda) -7:05p

I think rod is actually pretty good with his predicted pitches in certain situations. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's something at least.

I could do without hearing "off the chain" or other such slang.

"I see you" is fine because it has become his stupid catch phrase.

Ironically telling a player to "stop it" after a great play is up there as one of his worst phrases.

My favorite t-shirt

byzuraqe.jpg

You can say the same thing about fans. Some fans only care about winning the World Series and won't follow if the team has no chance. There is so much more to baseball than just winning the World Series though. If you really love the game, you can find interesting games and story lines happening in every season.

Correct and some seasons can cause heartache. At least, to fans who really love the game. There will be plenty of playoff bandwagon fans but that's OK with me. Maybe a small percent will stick around and be Tiger fans for life.....

I just watched the bottom of the first inning and the top of the 5th inning from the Tigers/Yankees, Dodgers/Angels, and Giants/Brewers games from yesterday. With my phone I timed how long each set of announcers or announcer talked.

In the bottom of the first inning...

Rod and Mario talked 68% of the time

Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow talked 61% of the time

Vin Scully talked 91% of the time

In the top of the 5th inning...

Rod and Mario talked 78% of the time

Duane and Mike talked 40% of the time

Vin Scully talked 54% of the time

The bottom of the first usually has more talking - line ups, news from yesterday, etc. Scully not only had his usual stories and updates but there was quite a bit of action in a quick bottom of the first for the Dodgers. His 91% is high but not shocking.

I picked the top of the 5th because I think it's usually the most boring inning. (I never said this was scientific). While Scully (even still with his stories) and the Giants guys calmed down a great deal, Mario and Rod kept on talking. Nothing significant happened in any of the top of the 5ths, by the way.

The Giants' announcers helped me really nail what I hate about Mario and Rod. The 1-1 pitch is high and outside. There is no need to say what the count is, I can see it on tv. There's no need to tell me it's high and outside, I can see that on my tv. Rod and Mario, and even Scully to an extent, LOVE telling us what we can see with our own eyes. I hate that. I wish they'd stop.

The end.

....telling us what we can see with our own eyes. I hate that. I wish they'd stop.

The end.

HaHa. Actually Rod gets offspeed pitches wrong all the time. He misses the rotation on sliders visible on his monitor and calls them change-ups. Small thing, but like I said before, better not to say anything than be wrong. Just call the pitch off-speed if you're not sure.

Remember how Kirk Gibson used to intimidate Josh Lewin in the booth? That dynamic was weird. I liked Lewin, but there was a point where his "i'm a geeky nerd and your my boyhood idol" schtick got a little old.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about Lewin and Gibson. I always felt that Lewin's "nerd" persona was too forced, and Gibby just came off as an a-hole half the time. I think I was one of the very few who was happy when Lewin left.

From what I can gather from non-Detroit fans on the web, Mario and Rod rate favorably. Not top-tier, but the feedback I mostly see is that they are pleasant to listen to because they seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs and working with each other, and don't take themselves too seriously. I agree that these are their obvious strengths and that they should probably keep the serious analysis to a minimum since, as Lee mentioned, it is clearly not their forte. They will never appeal to the hard-core, serious Sabers, but it's hard to please everybody.

I personally have come to accept them for what they are, and when they play to their strengths, I enjoy them.

I would totally buy that shirt and then have googly eyes sewed into the glasses.

That's a pretty good idea.

I think Mario would be a better broadcaster if he were paired with a better broadcast partner. To me Mario always sounds like he's auditioning for a national gig and is scared to death of saying anything that might rub anyone the wrong way.

Holy Cats!

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about Lewin and Gibson. I always felt that Lewin's "nerd" persona was too forced, and Gibby just came off as an a-hole half the time. I think I was one of the very few who was happy when Lewin left.

Ever hear Lewin doing Mets radio with Howie Rose? Now there are two guys who are a good fit for each other in the booth, although whether that's a positive or a negative thing depends on your taste.

Ever hear Lewin doing Mets radio with Howie Rose? Now there are two guys who are a good fit for each other in the booth, although whether that's a positive or a negative thing depends on your taste.

I live on the East Coast, I hear them all the time. They are all right, but Dan Dickerson blows away any announcer I've heard.

Someone saying another person has a 'low standard life' seems pretty harsh and deserved a rebuttal.

Another good life lesson...sticking your nose in another conversation and making 'suggestions' after a person rebuts a pretty harsh comment is probably not a good idea.

It's a message board. People post here for others to respond. T&p didn't seem to mind. Take your own advice...

Something called Chris capwanno is pitching for the Yankees tomorrow.
6 and 2/3, 4 hits, 1 run.

6 2/3, 5 hits, 1 run.

Bump