Biff Mayhem

Detroit Tigers trade Adames, Smyly and Jackson for David Price

I think what price experienced happens quite a bit. Especially to a home grown guy who had such success in one place. What struck me was the bit about him liking Ausmus. The agent could have kept that generic and said "the organization".

I think what price experienced happens quite a bit. Especially to a home grown guy who had such success in one place. What struck me was the bit about him liking Ausmus. The agent could have kept that generic and said "the organization".

I think this is likely much ado about nothing.

Ausmus or his initial discomfort?

The acclimization.

I didn't think that the Ausmus comment was out of place. He's an agent, he was probably expecting everyone to be impressed that he knew their names.

Edited by Walt

I think this is likely much ado about nothing.

That's what you said about Ebola before it killed the entire state of Texas.

That's what you said about Ebola before it killed the entire state of Texas.

That would be like winning the Civil War twice!

Weak effort by Heyman. He talked to one person (the agent) then used recycled quotes. Also I found three typos/grammatical errors. Weak.

He should stick to covering the Yabkees.

Yesterday, Bowden said that Holaday has the offensive and defensive potential to win the starting job.

Yesterday, Bowden said that Holaday has the offensive and defensive potential to win the starting job.

If you read that sentence in Bowden's story again, it seemed to me that he meant to type McCann.

[spit take]

Do you agree w/Bowden?

If you read that sentence in Bowden's story again, it seemed to me that he meant to type McCann.

That makes more sense. I didn't read the story. I just got the quote from Fenner. I think I would trust Bowden enough to know that Holaday doesn't have the potential to start assuming he knows who he is.

Here is what Bowden wrote:

"The Tigers could have interest in free-agent catcher Russell Martin of the Pittsburgh Pirates, but it's more likely that they give rookie James McCann a chance to compete with Alex Avila and Bryan Holaday for the starting catcher position. McCann, 24, was the Tigers’ second-round pick in the 2011 June draft. He had a solid year at Triple-A Toledo this season, batting .295/.343/.427 with 34 doubles, seven home runs and 54 RBIs. Holaday has a strong arm and shows the offensive and defensive potential to win the job. At the very least, he should be an offensive improvement."

The entire paragraph is about McCann and his chance to compete for a job. Then all of a sudden he mentions holaday. That seems like an error.

No, he's barely good enough to be a backup.

He's got Gerald Laird-like goofy backup catcher written all over him

Henning weighs in on the Heyman column.

Lynn G. Henning @Lynn_Henning · 3 hours ago

David Price has said all the right things. But you sense he is here as a paid off-site worker. That there's no chance for a Motown bond.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 3 hours ago

@dfb_goblue Guessing at the marketplace, Tigers are probably better getting maximum usage out of Price in '15 and taking the '16 draft pick.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 2 hours ago

@travisreeder Price trade was all but a disaster day it was made. Must take into account young developing starters. One or two will emerge.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 2 hours ago

@dgauruder No one questions Price's ethic. Again, he might warm up. But he's going to have his pick of teams a year from now. Can appreciate

Lynn has always had an apocalyptic view of the Price trade, which I don't agree with. That said, my obvious takeaway from all this is that it seems very unlikely that Price signs an extension this offseason.

A successful 2015 for him and the team could make an in-season extension or re-signing him possible, but when an elite player like that gets so close to FA, he typically wants to test the waters. DD said this is the reason he paid the big bucks to extend JV and Miggy, 2 years before their current deals were over.

I don't think a David Price trade will happen this winter, but I would not rule it out. LAD, NYY, Texas and Boston all have the capability to take on his contract and good young players to trade (well maybe not the Yankees).

Yes, but what at what level of MiLB team?

I don't think a David Price trade will happen this winter, but I would not rule it out. LAD, NYY, Texas and Boston all have the capability to take on his contract and good young players to trade (well maybe not the Yankees).

I don't expect Price to be traded, but the Dodgers and Red Sox have young outfielders, so both are good fits. If the Tigers did make such a deal, I think they would also add a free agent starter.

I don't expect Price to be traded, but the Dodgers and Red Sox have young outfielders, so both are good fits. If the Tigers did make such a deal, I think they would also add a free agent starter.

No team would trade much of anything for Price at $20M when they can sign a top of the rotation starter in free agency. That's part of the reason the Rays haul was less than expected, but also why they had to do it in July -- because his value would have been even less in the offseason, regardless of how he pitched the rest of the way.

Henning weighs in on the Heyman column.

Lynn has always had an apocalyptic view of the Price trade, which I don't agree with. That said, my obvious takeaway from all this is that it seems very unlikely that Price signs an extension this offseason.

A successful 2015 for him and the team could make an in-season extension or re-signing him possible, but when an elite player like that gets so close to FA, he typically wants to test the waters. DD said this is the reason he paid the big bucks to extend JV and Miggy, 2 years before their current deals were over.

The only way Price signs here is if we over pay in both years and money, far more then anyone else.

As for the column on Price, it's entirely possible he's just one of those people who takes time to acclimate to any type of change. I'm like that myself.

I think there's more to it then that though. I think Price is the kind of guy who will choose quality of life over money, much like Grienke.

No team would trade much of anything for Price at $20M when they can sign a top of the rotation starter in free agency. That's part of the reason the Rays haul was less than expected, but also why they had to do it in July -- because his value would have been even less in the offseason, regardless of how he pitched the rest of the way.

We may get less perceived value for Price if we were to trade him right now than what we traded to get him, but its doubtful that we wouldn't get much for him. Then again, it was perceived that the Rays didn't get much for Price to begin with too. Then Smyly pitched lights out and suddenly they got a decent return for him. You never know.

But if the Tigers can get Scherzer, or Shields, or Lester locked up on a long term deal, then you have to expect the Tigers to trade Price for cheap pieces or prospects. Things could go a lot of different directions this winter, even though I believe the Tigers would prefer to lock up Price on a deal.

This is absolutely correct. It's the same reason you didn't have many teams offering good returns for doug fister last offseason. It's much better practice to first see what you can get in free agency, where dollars are the only cost.

That being said, after the elite FA starters have signed, there might still be teams out there with interest in adding an ace to their rotation.

And the Tigers aren't in a position where they need to trade price, so they can go ahead and decline offers that aren't good enough.

I would think that a good number of teams would like to add him. He is an excellent pitcher and could be the difference between playoffs and sitting at home. Plus, he would still get you a draft pick after he leaves, or could be flipped at the deadline if your season isn't going as well as you had hoped.

Seattle

Toronto

Yankees

Red Sox

Angels

Texas

Cubs (I'm not so sure about this one, but this is a team that isn't too far away and we know they are itching to spend some money, so I could see them as giving it a shot)

All it takes is one aggressive team, and if a good offer came in I think the Tigers would be interested. I think they would first have had to sign a free agent starter, but not necessarily one of the big guys.