Biff Mayhem

Detroit Tigers trade Adames, Smyly and Jackson for David Price

Price to Det, Zobrist to Pitt and TB get Props.

Jackson pulled off the field in the middle of an at bat. Assuming he is included.

I haven't been to this forum all year yet - sorry about that. But it was my first web visit today when I heard the news - waiting for the site to break in half.

Who's gonna play CF now?

Price for Smyly and Jackson!? If this is the deal, this looks good to me.IIRC, Price is signed through the 2015 season. I would like this deal.

I haven't been to this forum all year yet - sorry about that. But it was my first web visit today when I heard the news - waiting for the site to break in half.

Who's gonna play CF now?

Rajaii would be my guess.

If Adames is included (presumably to Tampa) as speculated, that sucks, but I guess he's still so far away that it lessens the blow. Might be awhile before we know whether he turns into something or not.

For now, this is a brilliant move. They were not going to resign A-Jax after next year for what Boras wants, we have excess OFs already and this way we are maximizing our return on him. Smyly is a good one, but Price replaces him for a year and a half. And when Max walks, we still have Anibal, Ricky P, Verlander and Price for next year, maybe with Ray. Then we either resign Price or sign a back-end starter.

DD is a genius.

If Adames is included (presumably to Tampa) as speculated, that sucks, but I guess he's still so far away that it lessens the blow. Might be awhile before we know whether he turns into something or not.

For now, this is a brilliant move. They were not going to resign A-Jax after next year for what Boras wants, we have excess OFs already and this way we are maximizing our return on him. Smyly is a good one, but Price replaces him for a year and a half. And when Max walks, we still have Anibal, Ricky P, Verlander and Price for next year, maybe with Ray. Then we either resign Price or sign a back-end starter.

DD is a genius.

If Adams is the only minor leaguer, this is still a complete steal. Look at what the A's paid for their ace.

Froggy nailed this one.

I like the trade. My first thought was who's going to play center because Davis is not a good defender. However, Jackson wasn't that good anymore either and Davis probably won't any worse in CF than he is in LF.

The Tigers staff which was supposed to be their strength has been far from dominant, so I think they needed to do something to make them the favorites to go all the way.

Froggy nailed this one.

I like the trade. My first thought was who's going to play center because Davis is not a good defender. However, Jackson wasn't that good anymore either and Davis probably won't any worse in CF than he is in LF.

I always thought AJ was way above average in CF. The diving thing was always overplayed IMO...you dive when you take bad routes to the ball.

Why do you think he was not good anymore?

Dirks has played some CF before, but I don't know how much we can count on him at this point.

Who's gonna play CF now?

Rajai becomes an everyday player, and if he shows holes in playing the position, Donnie Baseball plays in the late innings.

Froggy nailed this one.

The Tigers staff which was supposed to be their strength has been far from dominant, so I think they needed to do something to make them the favorites to go all the way.

Carerra will get a shot to be the JD of CF....

I always thought AJ was way above average in CF. The diving thing was always overplayed IMO...you dive when you take bad routes to the ball.

Why do you think he was not good anymore?

I don't care about the diving, but I don't think his range is what it used to be. He's probably just an average CF now. Davis will be a downgrade, but probably not a big one.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 59s

Four-player deal confirmed: David Price to Tigers, Austin Jackson to Mariners, Nick Franklin and Drew Smyly to Rays. No other prospects.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 59s

Four-player deal confirmed: David Price to Tigers, Austin Jackson to Mariners, Nick Franklin and Drew Smyly to Rays. No other prospects.

What a steal. An absolute steal.