John_Brian_K

2014 Lions Training Camp and Preseason Games

Man, I hope he can get the dropsies handled. Here's Ebron lined up across from Berry:

SfNbeNr.jpg

Pray for Matt Stafford's health.

Then again, if Moore plays the Lions will have a really high pick next year they can use to replace Suh.

I don't see anybody in next year's draft who will be that kind of DT.

Lastly, if you're going to judge players by this game, I don't think the Lions looked very good. They're playing a bad team and they looked bad on offense and grateful for Brian Hoyer overthrows on defense. Stafford looked the same: good in getting to the 20 and then can't finish.

Won't disagree with this. It as a very uninspiring performance by nearly everyone. Frankly, only Broyles really stood out to me.

On thing I liked was only 5 penalties. I guess I assume penalties might be a bit higher in Pre-season, but 5 is less than our average from last year regular season of 6.88 per game.

I don't see anybody in next year's draft who will be that kind of DT.

Then hopefully they use their money wisely when they replace hkm and find playmakers elsewhere, because he gone.

After the first week of preseason games the one thing that stood out is all the penalties.

Illegal contact penalties fly in first week of preseason - NFL.com

Stricter enforcement of pass coverage rules led to an avalanche of penalties in the first week of the preseason.

ESPN's John Clayton did the math, tallying 27 illegal contact penalties in the first 17 preseason games. By comparison, there were 37 such infractions all of last season. We saw 53 defensive holding calls from Thursday through Saturday. Compare that to the 171 defensive holds from September through December of last year.

Watching tape today and the player who keeps showing up: Defensive Holding. Primed for a breakout season.

â Marc Sessler (@MarcSesslerNFL) August 10, 2014

What does this mean? Well, it certainly appears the league is using its game officials to send a message during the preseason.

In essence, these games are being used as a vessel to rid defenders of habits that won't fly under new guidelines that further restrict contact past the 5-yard bump zone. This explains why Buffalo Bills defenders are practicing in boxing gloves, and St. Louis Rams defenders are clutching tennis balls.

Peter King wrote in his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column he's been told the league plans to "officiate tight in the preseason." Whether that carries into the regular season remains to be seen.

If it does, expect record levels of laundry. Who's rooting for that?

You can't touch anyone if you're on defense is pretty much the rules now.

You can't touch anyone if you're on defense is pretty much the rules now.

Pretty soon we're going to start seeing Arena League style scores.

Moore could be our #2 on opening day.

Some interesting comments on Moore from O'Hara:

O'HARA'S MONDAY COUNTDOWN: How Lions' preseason opener was Kids Night

Preseason quarterback stats: Kellen Moore’s stats Saturday night were eye-popping: 11-of-13 passing for 121 yards, a 21-yard TD pass to Corey Fuller with 1:05 left and a passer rating for the game of 131.1.

There was nothing not to like about the way Moore played, and it’s possible that he might be a more serious contender for the backup position.

However, preseason games are set up for quarterbacks to do well – especially ones who’ve been with a team for a year or two. Defenses don’t blitz or use exotic coverages as much as in the regular season.

There is nothing bad about playing well, but take it for what it is.

While I agree that it's wise to temper the enthusiasm about Moore because it's preseason (and especially given that he was playing against 4th and 5th stringers...), it does make me ask: If QB's are set up to do well in preseason, what does that tell us about Orlovsky?

Some interesting comments on Moore from O'Hara:

O'HARA'S MONDAY COUNTDOWN: How Lions' preseason opener was Kids Night

While I agree that it's wise to temper the enthusiasm about Moore because it's preseason (and especially given that he was playing against 4th and 5th stringers...), it does make me ask: If QB's are set up to do well in preseason, what does that tell us about Orlovsky?

nothing that we didnt already know. He isnt any good.

nothing that we didnt already know. He isnt any good.

I don't remember him being as bad as he was on Saturday though. I mean, yeah, not good, but not that bad. Maybe I'm just forgetting how horrendous he was when he was with the Lions before, but really he looked lost out there... like he didn't know the plays well at all, and just couldn't make any throw what so ever.

Opportunistic INT by Ihedigbo, defense didn't look good prior to that.

Stafford TD pass to Tate. And of course Freese misses the PAT

Not that it is a legitimate excuse, but it was the extended PAT. What is it...32-34 yards or something like that?

Durham is the Don Kelly of the Lions. Stafford is looking great, wonder if he is done or will go out for another series or two?

Stafford and Tate look they are building a good connection early this year.

It's nice just to watch Lions games again with some hope. When Schwartz was here, we could play well at times but you knew the team would eventually fail. We may find the same thing out about Caldwell but at least for the time being, there is some hope.

It seems like there will be a flag on every play this year in the NFL.

This has been my take away from the pre-season thus far...not just the Lions either. Flags have been flying left and right. They are making it even harder for the defense to do anything.

This has been my take away from the pre-season thus far...not just the Lions either. Flags have been flying left and right. They are making it even harder for the defense to do anything.

I hate it as well. :nervous:

I think I heard somewhere that they were told to go overboard in the preseason, I hope the refs hold onto the flags in real games a little more. Otherwise it is going to be tough to watch.

I think I heard somewhere that they were told to go overboard in the preseason, I hope the refs hold onto the flags in real games a little more. Otherwise it is going to be tough to watch.

It has already gone down the road of unwatchable. I will still watch for now and for a few more years I am sure, but if it keeps going in this direction I may actually miss a game or 2 during the year and not lose sleep over it.

I find it hard to watch the game when I KNOW I cannot get excited about any big play until 10-15 seconds after the play is over to make sure there is not a flag of some sort. That REALLY takes the enjoyment out of the game for me.

It has happened so many times in the past 3-4 years. Big play happens, I get up and yell all excited. 5 seconds later a flag is thrown and the play is dead because of a penalty.

It has already gone down the road of unwatchable. I will still watch for now and for a few more years I am sure, but if it keeps going in this direction I may actually miss a game or 2 during the year and not lose sleep over it.

I find it hard to watch the game when I KNOW I cannot get excited about any big play until 10-15 seconds after the play is over to make sure there is not a flag of some sort. That REALLY takes the enjoyment out of the game for me.

It has happened so many times in the past 3-4 years. Big play happens, I get up and yell all excited. 5 seconds later a flag is thrown and the play is dead because of a penalty.

It seems like most of the excessive flags go against the defense, the Lions haven't been known for their big plays on defense the last few years so you may very well have nothing to worry about. ;)