John_Brian_K

2014 Lions Training Camp and Preseason Games

lions-training-camp-intro.jpg

The 2014 off season thread is so damned long I thought a new one to start talks about training camp up to the preseason games was a good idea.

I am excited to see the running back situation this year. I think Bell is going to get more carries than people think this year. I would bet Bush is going to be used more as a WR than a RB next year.

I have no problems with Stafford. I know a lot of people put a lot of the failures of this team on him and some of it may be justified, but I just do not have a worry with him this year.

The person I am most worried about is CJ TBH. Not because I think he will be bad, but I think my expectation for him is so high that it will be hard for him to reach. I always get nervous when one of our guys is considered the best...there is nowhere to go but down.

I predict greatness from this team every year. I am a sucker and even thought the 0-16 team was going to win 8 games..LOL, but I have a pretty good feeling about this year. 10 wins AT LEAST, but it may not be enough to secure a playoff spot. If we win 10, but miss the playoffs how do you guys feel about it? Winning 10 is pretty darn good, but when it is all for naught it would be hard to get excited about.

Secondary, secondary, secondary....has always been a bug a boo for us..the past few years anyway. That is a unit I am interested to see on the field.

Take it for what it is worth, but “This afternoon as you could see with practice, we had quite a bit of activity a lot of different drill work, a lot of sectionalized work to work on different situations,’’ coach Jim Caldwell said from the Lions’ facility in Allen Park. “I think they responded well for their first day. We have got a long way ahead of us, a lot of work to do yet but obviously we feel good about where we started.’’

491818925.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

We've lost a significant portion of the traffic that used to roll through.

With that being said, I really dislike Orlovsky being back on this team. Just a bad taste in my mouth. God forbid anything happens to Stafford.

They are definitely taking a risk with the backup QB situation.

Very curious to see this team, even in a preseason game.

Brad Evans ‏@YahooNoise 5h

According to Free Press, Eric Ebron going all Mike Wallace in training camp -- dropping ton of passes. Terribly overrated at TE12 in drafts.

Brad Evans ‏@YahooNoise 5h

According to Free Press, Eric Ebron going all Mike Wallace in training camp -- dropping ton of passes. Terribly overrated at TE12 in drafts.

Ugh. Another whiff by Mayhew?

They have practiced twice, give me a break.

My thoughts too, what's an acceptable gametime drop # for the season on him though?

Mayhew has a long track record of whiffs. He doesn't deserve any more breaks.

Mayhew has a long track record of whiffs. He doesn't deserve any more breaks.

He doesn't have a long track record of whiffs. I'm just saying, you read one twitter report on the second day of practice and that's that?

My thoughts too, what's an acceptable gametime drop # for the season on him though?

Less than the amount of drops plus fumbles from Pettigrew.

He doesn't have a long track record of whiffs. I'm just saying, you read one twitter report on the second day of practice and that's that?

Plus said tweet was based on the Free Press reports

No. I read scouting reports saying Ebron had the dropsies. And they get to training camp and guess what? He has the dropsies. I expect he will get better, but you can't be encouraged by this, can you?

No. I read scouting reports saying Ebron had the dropsies. And they get to training camp and guess what? He has the dropsies. I expect he will get better, but you can't be encouraged by this, can you?

I have no feelings at all about it. That's how most people should feel. We will wait to see when the season starts. He also has a reputation for making incredible catches, I don't see that in your scouting report or you being excited about that.

I read an article after the draft comparing his drop rates to the WR's coming out of the draft based on where on the field he was catching the ball (I think the gist was that comparing him to the other TEs' drop% wasn't as accurate because he was forced to make harder catches than they were, I wish I could remember where I read it). So while he dropped balls, if you consider the context it isn't as bad as the number made it seem. Although there were plenty of scouting reports that he lost concentration on easy catches too, so there's that. I never watched a game of his (besides when he lined up at DE randomly because my friend brought it up) so I can't say for sure.

I imagine right now when he's running plays in camp his mind is moving a mile a minute, digesting where he needs to move pre snap, route options after the snap, etc. Hopefully as he learns the playbook and he can play more instinctively he won't drop as many balls as is being reported. But who knows. I am excited to see him play. In his highlight reels he made some crazy catches and looks athletic, I'd love him mismatching with LB's and safeties.

Improve the secondary? Nope! Draft a receiver because you needed a receiver; Beckham Jr., Lee, etc. Nope! We're the Lions, who have drafted a big play tight end whose m.o. is dropping passes as much as it is making big plays.

UGH!

I read an article after the draft comparing his drop rates to the WR's coming out of the draft based on where on the field he was catching the ball (I think the gist was that comparing him to the other TEs' drop% wasn't as accurate because he was forced to make harder catches than they were, I wish I could remember where I read it). So while he dropped balls, if you consider the context it isn't as bad as the number made it seem. Although there were plenty of scouting reports that he lost concentration on easy catches too, so there's that. I never watched a game of his (besides when he lined up at DE randomly because my friend brought it up) so I can't say for sure.

I imagine right now when he's running plays in camp his mind is moving a mile a minute, digesting where he needs to move pre snap, route options after the snap, etc. Hopefully as he learns the playbook and he can play more instinctively he won't drop as many balls as is being reported. But who knows. I am excited to see him play. In his highlight reels he made some crazy catches and looks athletic, I'd love him mismatching with LB's and safeties.

I hope he succeeds. But it does seem a bit like déjà vu. Titus Young had a bad attitude in college, and Mayhew is surprised he still had one in the NFL? Jahvid Best had concussion problems in college and Mayhew is surprised he still had them in the NFL? Ebron had problems with drops in college....

On the plus side, one of Mayhew's dice rolls has to work out sooner or later, right?

I was thinking about this Ebron situation while they were discussing his drop issue earlier today on Valenti & Foster. We might as well just write off his first season, even if he's as bad at catching the ball as Kris Durham and Brandon Pettigrew put together. If we don't write off his first year there will just be a mired of excuses, like there always is for this franchise. Excuses like . . .

"Yeah but, it was his rookie season and everyone knows it takes two seasons to adjust to the NFL."

"Yeah but, he was learning a new offensive system under Caldwell. I'd like to see you pick up a playbook in one year and learn it."

"Yeah but, look at Jimmy Graham's rookie year. He only had 356 yards and 5 touchdowns. He drops passes too and he's the best in the league."

"Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but . . ."

So instead of just saying "it's only training camp", we should just adopt the mantra of "it's his rookie season". I think doing so will save a lot of go-nowhere headache caused by arguments over Ebron's droprate, yards-per-catch, touchdowns, redzone numbers, etc.

Am I encouraged by reports of drops? No. Am I worried about it though? Absolutely not.

The most drops for a TE last year was 8 with an average among highly targeted TEs around 4 or 5. I'm worried about him producing than having 3 or 4 drops more than average. Give me 50-60 catches(at around 65%) at 13+ ypc with 7+ TDs and I'll get over those few drops real quick. Graham,Witten,Davis,Gates were in the top 6 for drops among TEs fwiw

Ugh. Another whiff by Mayhew?

After a couple of practices? Oh please.

With that being said, the drops were a huge concern of mine with Ebron. His drop rate in college was absurdly high. He makes some big plays which somewhat compensates for the drops but I think he's always going to have butter fingers. Just have to take the good with the bad.

This is why I really like the Tate signing and think that he'll be huge for the offense. He has some of the best hands in the league so the Lions can afford to have a playmaking tight end who has a case of the dropsies from time to time.