PuNk42AE

07/24/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) at Los Angeles Angels (Richards) - 10:05 PM

Angel_Stadium_of_Anaheim.jpg

From Angel Stadium of Anaheim, in Los Angeles California, it is the...

DETROIT TIGERS

at the

Los Angeles Angels

ph_453286.jpg

Max Scherzer 11-3, 3.34 ERA

A neck spasm nearly scratched Scherzer from last Saturday's start against the Indians, but it was fine by the time the Tigers hit the road Sunday. Scherzer is 3-1 with a 1.62 ERA lifetime against the Angels, who have hit .162 off him.

ph_572070.jpg

Garrett Richards 11-2 2.47 ERA

Richards said he doesn't care who the opposing pitcher is, but he'll face another AL ace. In his last start -- vs. Felix Hernandez -- Richards went eight innings, allowing just one run. He hasn't given up more than six hits in a start since May.

BROADCAST:

pi-foxs-sports-detroit.jpg

10:00 PM

Detroit+Tigers+v+Los+Angeles+Angels+Anaheim+3QJ3AQU5satl.jpg

This game is also one of the two being shown on MLBN at 10pm Tonight. O's @ M's is the other.

Richards has been on some kind of roll the past couple months so we are going to need Max to be on his A game to win this one.

Since this will be a close, well-pitched game...and its going to end around 1am...I'm going to bed in the 5th and expect a loss due to a bullpen implosion.

Since this will be a close, well-pitched game...and its going to end around 1am...I'm going to bed in the 5th and expect a loss due to a bullpen implosion.

Soria is here to save the day.

Soria is here to save the day.

Be that as it may, I'll be in my hyperbaric chamber recycling my body's cells so that Friday doesn't result in me being fired for the sort of gross incompetence I can usually hide when i'm more wide awake.

It would be quite a job of trolling if Soria comes in for the 9th in a save situation and blows it.

It would be quite a job of trolling if Soria comes in for the 9th in a save situation and blows it.

superior-cat-meme-generator-you-shut-your-mouth-768095.jpg?1335756833.jpg

Given the late start and the pitching matchup I have hoep for a two hour game. Now with that said the final score will be 9-8 in 14 innings.

Angels' games are never good news, and given they're 20 over .500 and at home a win from Max would be huge.

Angels' games are never good news, and given they're 20 over .500 and at home a win from Max would be huge.

To me anything more than a split would be gravy.

Over the past few seasons, the thought of playing the Angels in the playoffs scared me since the Tigers seem to play so poorly in LA. Luckily, they've gotten off to horrible starts the past couple seasons and missed the postseason. Who knows what will happen this year? It's about time time to start winning some games there, though.

When is it acceptable to begin talking about September call ups and playoff rosters?

Holaday is awful. I think McCann could replace him as the backup catcher during September call ups if his defense is as good as advertised. His offense won't be any worse.

I think McCann and Perez are locks to be called up. I think Perez could also make the playoff lineup in place of Romine. I don't know if they would trust McCann for that, but September might inform that decision.

I also think Ray, Lobstein, and Verhagen will all get a look as relievers.

I also think Carrera will get a call up. I could see him on the postseason roster for pinch running purposes.

I think McCann and Perez are locks to be called up. I think Perez could also make the playoff lineup in place of Romine. I don't know if they would trust McCann for that, but September might inform that decision.

I also think Ray, Lobstein, and Verhagen will all get a look as relievers.

I also think Carrera will get a call up. I could see him on the postseason roster for pinch running purposes.

How many IR spots do we have for guys that aren't on the team before roster expansion?

How many IR spots do we have for guys that aren't on the team before roster expansion?

We will have at least three guys that are on the DL when the playoffs start: hanrahan, Iglesias, and rondon.

McCoy and dirks will probably be activated prior that.

Putkonen may provide a slot, but he is close to throwing, so maybe not.

So at the very least we could use three September call ups.

When is it acceptable to begin talking about September call ups and playoff rosters?

I think that's your call. You're the roster guy.