kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

So do people think we're done? Do we add another BP arm? A bat?

I still would like another BP arm, but I doubt we are going to go after one. If we could get one more solid BP arm I would really start to feel good about our BP come playoff time with that guy to go along with Smyly, Joba, Nathan and Soria.

I still would like another BP arm, but I doubt we are going to go after one. If we could get one more solid BP arm I would really start to feel good about our BP come playoff time with that guy to go along with Smyly, Joba, Nathan and Soria.

Bastardo may still be had cheap.

You're joking right?

I am deadly serious! I think everyone expected papi to either hit one out or at least clear the bases. We had a multiple run lead in the playoffs with mr clutch up and thry had momentum. You walk him and let someone else beat you.

Why you pitch to him at all? That was on leyland. I dont care if bases are loaded. Its playoffs and with papi at plate you walk a run in and make someone else beat you.

Actually, that ball should have been caught. That was a horrible misplay by Hunter.

In the World Series Carlos Beltran caught a ball that was hit to almost the same spot fairly easily.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/10/23/102313-MLB-Cardinals-Beltran-Tigers-Hunter-HF-PI_20131023221636186_640_360.JPG

Edited by The Ronz

Sorry, I'm not walking a guy so that the next batter becomes the winning run. Worst case scenario happened in that AB and they still went to the 9th tied.

If you feel better at getting that next guy out with your best pitcher who cares if hes the winning run. You dont let papi hit in the playoffs. Hes one of a very short list that you dont let hit in that situation ever!

What's the general consensus on who is the better prospect: Thompson or Crawford? From what little I know of them both, it seems Thompson may have a little higher ceiling but will take longer to get there, while Crawford is a bit more of a known quantity since he's older.

I have viewed them as fairly similar, so I don't mind trading one of them. If we now trade Crawford too, however, I think I would be a little concerned. I suspect we keep him and trade others.

I would suggest Crawford has the higher ceiling and higher floor....Thompson is a likely MLB starter, but in a #4 capacity under a best case scenario. Crawford could be a #3 or a back-end reliever.

Well, Suarez is gone...

Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott 1m

Dave Dombrowski: "We are comfortable with Suarez. He's done a very nice job for us. … He's mature beyond his years."

Actually, that ball should have been caught. That was a horrible misplay by Hunter.

In the World Series Carlos Beltran caught the ball that was hit to almost the same spot fairly easily.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/10/23/102313-MLB-Cardinals-Beltran-Tigers-Hunter-HF-PI_20131023221636186_640_360.JPG

You are correct. I still walk him. I also put a better defense rf in. Hunter made more than a few of those miscatches last yr too.

Hunter has struggled defensively but I can't believe he is getting blamed for not robbing a home run. It is a catch you would like to see him make but it shouldn't be an expected catch.

It's not that I expect the prospects traded to amount to anything. I think DD sucks at drafting. I just wish they were in a position to trade for another decent bat.

I still think if the Tigers fall short again this year, it will be because the offense disappears during the post season. Again. Let's just hope JD remains a decent hitter.

At least he didn't trade them for papsmear.

Papi wasn't hitting worth a damn before or after that slam. You have your best reliever on the mound, so you don't give away a run. That's poor reasoning IMO. Benoit threw a mistake, and Papi hit it. Give them both credit for what they did, don't blame the guy sitting in the dugout.

Hunter has struggled defensively but I can't believe he is getting blamed for not robbing a home run. It is a catch you would like to see him make but it shouldn't be an expected catch.

You get your glove on it and you should be expected to make the catch. He made that catch in his sleep when he was a twin.

Yeah it's like people are acting like it was a can of corn. It could've been caught but if it was it would've been a highlight reel play, not one that you would expect to make.

Well, Suarez is gone...

Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott 1m

Dave Dombrowski: "We are comfortable with Suarez. He's done a very nice job for us. … He's mature beyond his years."

Its sure starting to seem that way.

I am deadly serious! I think everyone expected papi to either hit one out or at least clear the bases. We had a multiple run lead in the playoffs with mr clutch up and thry had momentum. You walk him and let someone else beat you.

I feared the worst but I was expecting an out because that's what happens more often than not.

Thompson and Knebel both had promise, but I really doubt either guy comes back to haunt us. In fact, when has DD ever traded a prospect who has come back to haunt us?

What does that say about their quality of drafting and developing players...

It probably says more about their internal scouting in the minors.

I told my roommate when he came up that you walk him, don't you? And then we both decided that would be crazy.

Sometimes crazy works.

Pitching to him was the right move regardless of the outcome. Its like a bad beat in poker.

Pitching to him was the right move regardless of the outcome. Its like a bad beat in poker.

Yeah, I mean even as clutch as Ortiz has been throughout his career, he still only hits a HR like 1 in every 12 plate appearances at best, so you had a 92% chance of that not happening.

I feared the worst but I was expecting an out because that's what happens more often than not.

I feel like if I wrote a sentence in binary you would be able to read it.

01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100101 00111111

So Soria already is Knebel's most optimistic ceiling, and something like 75% of first round picks ever make a regular contribution on a ML roster. If we manage to resign Soria and keep him for a while, I don't the cost was so bad. I was expecting worse.

Yeah, I mean even as clutch as Ortiz has been throughout his career, he still only hits a HR like 1 in every 12 plate appearances at best, so you had a 92% chance of that not happening.

I think maybe because Napoli was on deck we decided against it? The way the Tigers were dominating up until that point I would have rather made them get lucky 2 or 3 times to tie rather than get lucky once, even with a 92% chance.