kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

It was a good podcast. Kind of a bummer that they stopped doing it.

I really like hearing Mark's opinion when major moves are made.

Soria is younger than I thought. He just turned 30. It seems like he has been around awhile. If he continues to pitch the way he has, I think it's a given his option is picked up. I could see the Tigers looking to extend him with a two to three year extension to be their closer after Nathan.

Like Nathan, Soria is another guy that we seemingly never could do anything against. I can only remember one time he blew a save against us and that was when Miggy hit a HR off him at KC. So if for some reason Soria implodes who should we hate more, him or Nathan?

I would still hate Nathan more because Nathan closed for a good team that knocked Detroit out of the playoffs. I can still see Nathan and his fist pump in game 163 after he got Ordonez to line out.

Soria is younger than I thought. He just turned 30. It seems like he has been around awhile. If he continues to pitch the way he has, I think it's a given his option is picked up. I could see the Tigers looking to extend him with a two to three year extension to be their closer after Nathan.

We should sign Soria to an eight year deal. Nathan proved that you are a good closer until you turn 39.

I would still hate Nathan more because Nathan closed for a good team that knocked Detroit out of the playoffs. I can still see Nathan and his fist pump in game 163 after he got Ordonez to line out.

I don't remember that. I thought we took the lead into the bottom the inning that they ultimately walked off.

We should sign Soria to an eight year deal. Nathan proved that you are a good closer until you turn 39.

I'm not sure your intent here, but I don't think it would be risky to sign Soria at age 31 to a 2-3 year extension. He was a very good pitcher before the injury and has seemed to have regained his old form.

I'm not sure your intent here, but I don't think it would be risky to sign Soria at age 31 to a 2-3 year extension. He was a very good pitcher before the injury and has seemed to have regained his old form.

It was just a joke regarding age. Nathan's age is constantly brought up.

It wasn't a response to your proposed extension. I think it would be a good idea, but not that confident that they could get it done without paying him big bucks.

I don't remember that. I thought we took the lead into the bottom the inning that they ultimately walked off.

It was either the 9th or 10th. Nathan came into a tied game. Granderson was on first and Ordonez hit a line drive to SS and Granderson got doubled off 1B to end the ending. I remember Nathan walking off fist pumping and thinking how come we can never score off this guy.

It was either the 9th or 10th. Nathan came into a tied game. Granderson was on first and Ordonez hit a line drive to SS and Granderson got doubled off 1B to end the ending. I remember Nathan walking off fist pumping and thinking how come we can never score off this guy.

Yes, I remember granderson getting doubled off. I was probably too busy flipping over couches and tables to remember Nathan's reaction.

Yeah I think I remember that. So much of that game is a blur to me though, either that or I just try to block it out. I remember Ordonez's HR in the 7th or 8th, Raburn's misplay, the missed Inge HBP and the ending. But that's about it.

Let's not forget Raburn's awesome throw from left on the attempted sac fly.

I actually like that we lost that game, in hindsight. Had we won and then lost the next series, I'm not sure I would take any pleasure in it.

There is something comforting about the heartbreak of that single game. So many times we got screwed.

I guess the point is that it is a fact that the twins were a better team.

Same. It's 6:56 here. While I've been posting for awhile I'm not quite awake yet. No outrage to this trade?

I swear I've read some outrage...somewhere.

I think everyone realized something had to be done and it wasn't going to be cheap, thus the lack of outrage.

I actually like that we lost that game, in hindsight. Had we won and then lost the next series, I'm not sure I would take any pleasure in it.

There is something comforting about the heartbreak of that single game. So many times we got screwed.

I guess the point is that it is a fact that the twins were a better team.

The thing I hated most about it was that it was at the Metrodome. I remember like a week or so before that game we choked in a series against them there and Rod and Mario said something like "atleast we'll never have to play here again", and as soon as they said that I thought to myself "Watch we'll lose a game 163 here now".

I looked up the box score and now I got a clear picture. Nathan actually came on in the 8th with runners on first and second and got both hitters out. He came out for the 9th and the first two runners reached. Polanco of all people struck out. Than Ordonez hit a line drive to SS and the runner at 1B , not 2B, got picked off. That is when I resigned myself to the fact we weren't going to win.

I would just like to add that I find it kind of funny that all Keith Law ever says is how horrible our system is and that we have no premier prospects(outside of Castellanos), yet when we trade them suddenly he says we paid a "steep price". If our system is that bad how could we pay a steep price for the best available player that fits our biggest weakness?

I would just like to add that I find it kind of funny that all Keith Law ever says is how horrible our system is and that we have no premier prospects(outside of Castellanos), yet when we trade them suddenly he says we paid a "steep price". If our system is that bad how could we pay a steep price for the best available player that fits our biggest weakness?

This is a very good point.

one bad pitch to one of the clutchest hitters on the planet...

Why you pitch to him at all? That was on leyland. I dont care if bases are loaded. Its playoffs and with papi at plate you walk a run in and make someone else beat you.

Yeah, our weak system has really hamstrung us at the deadline the last few years. If we had a system like KC we might have been able to get guys like Sanchez, Infante, Fister, and now Soria.

For a board who never mentioned them before Last night, we sure do love us some Thompson and Kuh-knee-bull. Crazy.

You missed my thompson aat love thread...

Why you pitch to him at all? That was on leyland. I dont care if bases are loaded. Its playoffs and with papi at plate you walk a run in and make someone else beat you.

You're joking right?

You don't hire guys to manage baseball teams that think outside the box. You might cause Armageddon.

Sorry, I'm not walking a guy so that the next batter becomes the winning run. Worst case scenario happened in that AB and they still went to the 9th tied.