kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

Almost everyone here seems to be happy with the trade. You're arguing against a pretty small minority.

This surprised me since there are usually a lot of people that get upset when prospects are traded.

What's the general consensus on who is the better prospect: Thompson or Crawford? From what little I know of them both, it seems Thompson may have a little higher ceiling but will take longer to get there, while Crawford is a bit more of a known quantity since he's older.

I have viewed them as fairly similar, so I don't mind trading one of them. If we now trade Crawford too, however, I think I would be a little concerned. I suspect we keep him and trade others.

Reading the MLBtraderumors discussion....this is fairly interesting.

--Soria’s value in the postseason could be significant, writes Fangraphs’ Dave Cameron. Cameron examines the usage of teams’ best relievers in last year’s playoffs, noting that while a typical elite reliever throws about five percent of his team’s innings during the regular season, that number increases in the playoffs due to more off days and the increased importance of late innings. The Red Sox used Koji Uehara for 9.6 percent of their postseason innings, which translates to about 140 innings during the regular season (a value of 246 innings when accounting for the increased leverage index).

--R.J. Anderson and Jordan Gorosh (Hey! when are you going to come back?) break down the trade over at Baseball Prospectus (subscription required/recommended) . Anderson notes the steep price Detroit paid as well and wonders if the Tigers are done adding relievers. If Dave Dombrowski is serious about truly upgrading the bullpen (which he clearly seems to be), the Tigers should look to add another arm, Anderson opines. Meanwhile, Gorosh feels that Thompson could make an appearance on the back end of B-Pro’s offseason Top 101 prospects list, writing that he has the potential to be a “very strong No. 4 starter” and could have been the best pitching prospect in Detroit’s system (thereby implying that he likes him better than Robbie Ray).

that frickin Red Sox team and that frickin Uehara.

Plenty of people on this board have mentioned Thompson and Knebel, especially Knebel in the recent past. Probably the team's top starting and top relieving prospects. But prospects nonetheless. Soria is proven. It's all about now. The team that gets the best player wins the trade probably 80% of the time. Tigers got the best player.

I don't know why they would keep Nathan at this point. I don't think he's going to embrace being the 6th inning mop up guy.

This surprised me since there are usually a lot of people that get upset when prospects are traded.

Same. It's 6:56 here. While I've been posting for awhile I'm not quite awake yet. No outrage to this trade?

I swear I've read some outrage...somewhere.

I don't even remember that bullpen. What I remember was how terrible the starting pitching was. Robertson was awful. Willis was awful. Bonderman got hurt. Verlander was awful. Galarraga was our best pitcher.

What a terrible season.

Wasn't Robertson throwing like 80mph fastballs?

What's the general consensus on who is the better prospect: Thompson or Crawford? From what little I know of them both, it seems Thompson may have a little higher ceiling but will take longer to get there, while Crawford is a bit more of a known quantity since he's older.

I have viewed them as fairly similar, so I don't mind trading one of them. If we now trade Crawford too, however, I think I would be a little concerned. I suspect we keep him and trade others.

Crawford's season to this point has raised more concern - low K rate, more hittable at WM. Heck, it could easily be said that Crawford isn't even the best SP prospect on a loaded WM team. Thompson is definitely the better Prospect.

Almost everyone here seems to be happy with the trade. You're arguing against a pretty small minority.

Yeah, I haven't seen much outrage.

The outrage I have seen seems directed toward the situation that required the trade be made. But it really makes no sense to be upset about that in relation to this trade. You can't go back and make rondon healthy and have Joe Nathan perform well to this point.

This was a great trade for the tigers, and a great trade for the rangers. Any time you can trade a reliever from a non contender for prospects with likely major league upside, it's a good deal.

From out perspective, we got an important piece that helps this year and next, and we didn't have to give up our most valuable prospects.

We still have hill and Adames and McCann and Ray and Moya. I consider them to be our top five prospects. I would have out Thompson and knebel right after them.

Maybe Thompson could be valued ahead of Ray. I'm not sure.

Regardless, that's why it is important to acquire these types of players when possible. You never know when you might need to dip into your system to feed your major league team. It's important to have enough prospect depth so that you can trade from it while still having guys in the pipeline for upcoming seasons.

I think it would have been Crawford coming into the season, but he hasn't struck too many out at West Michigan, and Thompson got off to a great start and has been solid. Thompson is younger and is at AA vs. low-A, but I think Crawford has the higher ceiling, while Thompson the higher floor by far, and projects more certainly as a starter.

Same. It's 6:56 here. While I've been posting for awhile I'm not quite awake yet. No outrage to this trade?

I swear I've read some outrage...somewhere.

There was some antranting.

Reading the MLBtraderumors discussion....this is fairly interesting.

that frickin Red Sox team and that frickin Uehara.

Wheat likes Thompson more than Ray.

The tigstown guys like Ray more than Thompson.

I don't know if it matters either way. Consensus seems to be that both have ceilings as 3/4 starters with similar likelihoods of reaching that ceiling.

Wheat doesn't try to make people pay for his opinion, so I'll go with that.

This wasn't a case of trading a turner or Maybin or miller or jurrjens.

It seems like most people are ok with trading prospects as long as the best ones aren't traded.

I guess there was some outrage when we had to trade danrys for Veras. That seemed odd to me. I guess people were also upset when we traded Garcia.

Neither move bothered me.

Wheat likes Thompson more than Ray.

The tigstown guys like Ray more than Thompson.

I don't know if it matters either way. Consensus seems to be that both have ceilings as 3/4 starters with similar likelihoods of reaching that ceiling.

The Cameron piece was pretty interesting.

Joakim Soria and the Value of a Postseason Relief Ace | FanGraphs Baseball

This particular opinion of his was a subscription link.

Personally, I'll defer to the guys with more scouting experience.

Nobody is all that upset because the team has made the ALCS three straight years and they might only get one or two more shots at it before aging starts hitting Miggy and Verlander (if it hasn't already). People know it's all about now and to heck with 2017 and beyond. Trade every prospect you can to get the best possible team right now. I don't think there is any way they keep Max. You'd have to wonder what V-Mart is going to want (I would guess 15 - 20 million a year) and if it would be smart to sign him to 3 or 4 more years at that money at that age.

Ray is closer to the majors, but Thompson has much more upside because he throws hard. Knebel is a future closer in the majors, and possibly a really good one. But the Tigers needed the now guy. By 2016 the Tigers could find themselves in the same spot the Rangers are in right now. Once it goes - it goes fast.

The still need another reliever. Soria is not enough.

No. There is no "window" unless the Tigers stop spending. People were saying they only had a 2 year window back in '06. They re-tool, they stay competitive. There's no reason to insist that its now or never.

He sometimes does when he writes for BP. I think Scout.com and BP are both good at covering prospects, although a BP subscription gives me a lot more than a scout.com subscription and I no longer subscribe to tigstown.

He sometimes does when he writes for BP. I think Scout.com and BP are both good at covering prospects, although a BP subscription gives me a lot more than a scout.com subscription and I no longer subscribe to tigstown.

I have no issue with either one really, but I was really annoyed when a Hill was out for a week with a stiff back, and Scout posted a pay link to "find out why" he was out. That's public knowledge and took about 3 seconds of googling to find out why. I thought it was pretty silly of them to make things like that part of their subscription.

Nobody is all that upset because the team has made the ALCS three straight years and they might only get one or two more shots at it before aging starts hitting Miggy and Verlander (if it hasn't already). People know it's all about now and to heck with 2017 and beyond. Trade every prospect you can to get the best possible team right now. I don't think there is any way they keep Max. You'd have to wonder what V-Mart is going to want (I would guess 15 - 20 million a year) and if it would be smart to sign him to 3 or 4 more years at that money at that age.

Ray is closer to the majors, but Thompson has much more upside because he throws hard. Knebel is a future closer in the majors, and possibly a really good one. But the Tigers needed the now guy. By 2016 the Tigers could find themselves in the same spot the Rangers are in right now. Once it goes - it goes fast.

The still need another reliever. Soria is not enough.

I liked Thompson but his fastball was nothing special(only topped out at 91 or so) and he had no changeup. He was entirely dependent on his slider. Obviously he is still young and can improve but I think he is a back end starter at best. Knebel is harder to get a read on, he's got a pretty good curveball, but it's not dominant, so he doesn't have that one knockout pitch that most top relievers have. I think he'll end up being a solid reliever but not somebody that we are going to be kicking ourselves over for trading.

I don't care whether he's closing, or pitching the 7th or 8th, it adds depth. That's good.

I have no issue with either one really, but I was really annoyed when a Hill was out for a week with a stiff back, and Scout posted a pay link to "find out why" he was out. That's public knowledge and took about 3 seconds of googling to find out why. I thought it was pretty silly of them to make things like that part of their subscription.

Yeah, you won't get far putting facts behind a paywall, but that's not really the point of that site. They charge for the opinion and analysis.

I don't subscribe because I didn't find that they provided enough consistent content to justify it.

I saw Wezner and wheat going back and forth on twitter last night about the two pitchers.

Yeah, you won't get far putting facts behind a paywall, but that's not really the point of that site. They charge for the opinion and analysis.

I don't subscribe because I didn't find that they provided enough consistent content to justify it.

I saw Wezner and wheat going back and forth on twitter last night about the two pitchers.

I used to like their (TigsTown) podcasts to chew up time during my commute, but never found a reason to pay for their content.

Like Nathan, Soria is another guy that we seemingly never could do anything against. I can only remember one time he blew a save against us and that was when Miggy hit a HR off him at KC. So if for some reason Soria implodes who should we hate more, him or Nathan?