kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

Does anyone expect Hanrahan to contribute anything to the team this year? If he's not yet facing hitters, it seems doubtful to me. I wonder if he'll resign with Detroit? A bullpen of Soria, Hanrahan, Rondon, and Chamberlain could be pretty dominant next year.

No, I don't think he pitches in the bigs this season after his most recent setback. But, we've got the best info. on him, and if he looks worth signing for next season I'm sure we can get him on a one year deal for cheap.

If, and obviously this is a major if, Joe Nathan can go back to being even remotely Joe Nathan-like, our bullpen in the playoffs looks insanely good. Smyly as the bridge to the 8th, then Joba/Soria, and Nathan closing. Either of Joba or Soria could be brought in based on matchups to put out a fire earlier if necessary, and we've still got guys like Al Al who could find consistency before October.

Our starters have been pretty good for getting us to the sixth with a lead this season. Now we look to have the ability to shorten the game a la the old New York Yankees. Exciting stuff.

when has DD ever traded a prospect who has come back to haunt us?

I was just thinking the same thing while reading this thread. Only name that comes to mind is Matt Joyce, and he was past the prospect point when we traded him. And he hasn't been THAT good. And he got us Edwin Jackson, who was part of that 3 team deal that got us Scherzer.

It's a great move that has nothing to do with Fister or Benoit.

We all value prospects too much. Once in a while you get burned (Jon Smoltz), but a proven commodity beats two prospects.

Signed, Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin.

I am just miffed we couldn't get Prince as a throw-in.

And even though the Smoltz thing burned them, I still don't think it was a bad trade. No Doyle that year, no playoffs. The team was near the end of a long, great run and they had to get it that year.

We all value prospects too much.

I think in general the forum gets a bit carried away with Tiger prospects at times. But predicting with accuracy is such an inexact science. And it is fun when a prospect finally makes it to the bigs and might have a chance at having a solid career. For every Verlander, there are probably 50 Millers.

So, one bad pitch makes Benoit a bad pitcher?

one bad pitch to one of the clutchest hitters on the planet...

Jon Morosi is saying that sources said that the Tigers had Soria locked in as their target and were not really focused on Benoit.

Dave Dombrowski is doing well at his job. I doubt he would make a good politician because of the secret wizardly ways...he would be an excellent Admiral or General.

It's a trade we had to make. The reason is obvious: Nathan has been terrible, and is showing no signs of getting better. There was no one in house who was going to supplant Nathan.

Could Joba have closed? Perhaps. But if you go all in with Joba, that's a risky move because he's not a "proven closer", and if the move like that flops, the Tigers would get an ear full of **** from the fans and the media for the rest of the season, and that **** doesn't get cleared out until you win the World Series, and if you don't win the Series, that **** stays in your ear all winter long.

By getting arguably the best available closer in the league, we hope it will make the difference in taking us to the Series flag, but it also provides us more cover with the followers if it flops than if we moved Joba into the role.

They did the best they could under the circumstances, and the price for the best available closer is never cheap, particularly from a team who probably would have contended themselves had it not been for the injuries.

I was just thinking the same thing while reading this thread. Only name that comes to mind is Matt Joyce, and he was past the prospect point when we traded him. And he hasn't been THAT good. And he got us Edwin Jackson, who was part of that 3 team deal that got us Scherzer.

It's a great move that has nothing to do with Fister or Benoit.

Was he the GM when Cody Ross was traded for a terrible reliever? That's about all I can come up with.

yes.... Steve Colyer. But I don't think Ross did much for like 5 years and went through a couple of teams.... sort of like Carlos Pena.

For a board who never mentioned them before Last night, we sure do love us some Thompson and Kuh-knee-bull. Crazy.

To my mind Dombrowski's worst performance in the past 8 years was the bullpen construction for the 2008 team. He had swung the deal for Miggy and Dontrelle Willis and we had all kinds of expectations. That bullpen was turrible.

For a board who never mentioned them before Last night, we sure do love us some Thompson and Kuh-knee-bull. Crazy.

A board who never mentioned them?

Dave Dombrowski is doing well at his job. I doubt he would make a good politician because of the secret wizardly ways...he would be an excellent Admiral or General.

He is the very model of a modern Major-General.

A board who never mentioned them?

I feel like there wasn't much talk regarding those to that justifies some of the outrage of this trade.

But hey, I've already said I don't give a rip about prospects. Two more nobody's with potential will surely emerge pretty soon. We'll all be able to get angry once more.

He is the very model of a modern Major-General.

Actually, I saw JCS Chairman General Dempsey in a stripped polo shirt the other day.

I feel like there wasn't much talk regarding those to that justifies some of the outrage of this trade.

But hey, I've already said I don't give a rip about prospects. Two more nobody's with potential will surely emerge pretty soon. We'll all be able to get angry once more.

Almost everyone here seems to be happy with the trade. You're arguing against a pretty small minority.

To my mind Dombrowski's worst performance in the past 8 years was the bullpen construction for the 2008 team. He had swung the deal for Miggy and Dontrelle Willis and we had all kinds of expectations. That bullpen was turrible.

I don't even remember that bullpen. What I remember was how terrible the starting pitching was. Robertson was awful. Willis was awful. Bonderman got hurt. Verlander was awful. Galarraga was our best pitcher.

What a terrible season.