kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

Really? How's that OBP doing at AA ? He's Rob Deer. Home Run or Strikeout. I hope they can sucker another team into taking him. He's a threat to beat Mike Hessman's record.

Cute

Benoit was very good for this team. He was homer prone in 2012, but all in all very good. There was really no reason not to bring him back. 7.5 mill for Benoit or 12 million for Nathan. Its not like Nathans 2013 #s were much better. Should of been a no brainer.

Nathan is owed 20 million over two years.

Benoit is owed 15.5.

So it's 10 vs 7.75.

Should of been.

I'd like to trade Nathan to Oakland, possibly for nothing in return.

I'd rather keep Nathan than be stuck with Jim Johnson.

In addition, I liked Benoit and for the most part he was very good with Detroit. But he had been very shaky the past two postseasons and isn't getting any younger. More importantly, I trusted Phil Coke more in the ninth than Benoit.

I'm happy to land Soria and do hope they can add another arm. Possibly someone to replace Romine as well.

Anyone want to post the gist of what Keith Law said?

Nathan is owed 20 million over two years.

Benoit is owed 15.5.

So it's 10 vs 7.75.

Should of been.

ok 10 million. Benoit 7.75>Nathan 10. And this is just based on 2013 numbers. The fact they dumped Benoit so easily was just ****ing dumb.

Anyone want to post the gist of what Keith Law said?

I don't know what he said about the trade, but yesterday he said the Tigers should go after Soria, so he must like him. He also thinks Castellanos is going to be a star.

Basically, that the trade makes sense for both teams.

I doubt its seen as a very controversial move by any analyst. They could bring up how many assets both in draft picks and FA signings and trades that the Tigers consistently spend on the bullpen and yet, they still need to make a move like this. But, those are all sunk costs and the Street trade showed what the market value was. There was a Thompson and Moya for Soria rumor on twitter for awhile and it ended up being Thompson and Knebel for Soria instead.

Good trade. I don't give two poops about giving up prospects of any kind, ever. I wouldn't care if we still traded Castellanos for 3 quality relievers.

Prospects are prospects. People who get bent out of shape/too pumped up over getting and losing prospects are nuts. Glad that we have one arm who can be somewhat trusted in the BP.

Good trade. I don't give two poops about giving up prospects of any kind, ever. I wouldn't care if we still traded Castellanos for 3 quality relievers.

Prospects are prospects. People who get bent out of shape/too pumped up over getting and losing prospects are nuts. Glad that we have one arm who can be somewhat trusted in the BP.

This works both ways. You should never just blow off every player because he's just a prospect. This sort of close-mindedness is every bit as bad as those that overrate prospects, if not worse. You HAVE to keep some prospects, as that's what helps to keep your payroll manageable. They're cheap, and for a long time. Without the prospects the Tigers have kept over the years, signing guys like Cabrera would be impossible.

I love this trade. Normally I would say use him for the 7th, because that can be more of a high-leverage inning than the 9th (see Zumaya in 2006), but the Tigers have given up 63 runs in the 9th this year, more than any other inning, and that's with 13 fewer innings pitched total. It's been that bad. You have to get Nathan out of there, though I expect they won't.

This works both ways. You should never just blow off every player because he's just a prospect. This sort of close-mindedness is every bit as bad as those that overrate prospects, if not worse. You HAVE to keep some prospects, as that's what helps to keep your payroll manageable. They're cheap, and for a long time. Without the prospects the Tigers have kept over the years, signing guys like Cabrera would be impossible.

Nope. Get rid of them all! Cash it all in. Win now. Win forever.

Soria's numbers this year are absurd.

2.70 ERA 1.07 FIP, 2.25 xFIP, 10.5 K/BB, .87 WHIP, 0 Hr in 33+ innings, while pitching in homer happy Texas. We just got the best guy on the market.

Thompson and Knebel both had promise, but I really doubt either guy comes back to haunt us. In fact, when has DD ever traded a prospect who has come back to haunt us?

Another RP would be nice, but I doubt it happens.

I will not adopt another tiger this season! I am in morning for the loss of my AAT! I will stay loyal to him till next AAT draft!

I'm sure Soria will be good, but this trade ****ing sucks. Even if those prospects turn out to be nothing, you should not have had to trade them for a bullpen guy.

A shame that our bullpen is such a disaster that you give up good prospects to patch it up. And hell, now there's about two other holes in the bullpen. Who we got left to trade?

And hey, it'd be nice to get another bat. Who we gonna' trade?

I will not adopt another tiger this season! I am in morning for the loss of my AAT! I will stay loyal to him till next AAT draft!

I feel your pain.

I want to clarify my earlier post. I'm glad we got Soria over Papelbon. I think this will help a lot.

I'm just pissed that the bullpen is filled with such **** that it cost the team two of their best prospects to not even completely fix it.

ok 10 million. Benoit 7.75>Nathan 10. And this is just based on 2013 numbers. The fact they dumped Benoit so easily was just ****ing dumb.

So, we just assume that Benoit wanted to stay in Detroit? FA signing is a 2 party affair. Benoit played well for the Tigers, and the Tigers usually re sign those that have done well and want to come back.

I will be in morning until noon.

Whether you like the trade or not.....what are the odds that Soria blows the first game he's used?

The Tigers have a closer curse. Like the Lions' head coach curse. Or Quarterback curse, or....hell, the Lions are just cursed everywhere.

So, one bad pitch makes Benoit a bad pitcher?

Sure, because it was the playoffs and the best of the best perform the best in the playoffs. Al. Ways.

I love this trade. Normally I would say use him for the 7th, because that can be more of a high-leverage inning than the 9th (see Zumaya in 2006), but the Tigers have given up 63 runs in the 9th this year, more than any other inning, and that's with 13 fewer innings pitched total. It's been that bad. You have to get Nathan out of there, though I expect they won't.

I see your logic, but I still think it'd be best to use him earlier along with Chamberlain; have to get through the 7th & 8th before worrying about the 9th.

If Nathan can at least salvage himself into Todd Jones for the duration of his contract, then a Zumaya circa 2006 role for Soria would be fine, I think.

I still would like another reliever.

Good grief, I am composing paragraphs out of single sentences like Shelton.

Does anyone expect Hanrahan to contribute anything to the team this year? If he's not yet facing hitters, it seems doubtful to me. I wonder if he'll resign with Detroit? A bullpen of Soria, Hanrahan, Rondon, and Chamberlain could be pretty dominant next year.