kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

Love it...great move. I don't fault Dombrowski for the bullpen, not really, except for Nathan. Relievers are such a crapshoot - by definition they're not really good enough to have a featured role on a major league roster, and you never know what you'll get from one month to the next. Now Brad, Soria is your high-leverage reliever, right now. If I see you trying to rehab Nathan I'm going to yank those ears out by the roots.

Now I have to go change my clothes - I soiled my drawers, and barfed on my shirt, when I saw the thread title and assumed that we acquired Alfonso Soria.

So we traded Fister to clear up salary space to sign a player like Joe Nathan, allowing us to in the future trade away two top prospects for a closer.

A deal that had to be done, but what a depressing display of mismanagement. And the bullpen still sucks outside of Soria and Chamberlain.

Fister trade had nothing to do with freeing up money.

It helps for now, but it hurts the Tigers prospects of staying cheap in the rotation long-term. I don't mind giving up Knebel, but Thompson was the one pitching prospect I was going to be unhappy trading. I think we regret this deal unless we win the World Series.

I loathe overpaying for relievers at the trade deadline when we could have had them cheaply an offseason or two ago.

I bet a lot of teams, 29 in fact, wish they would have signed Joba.

so what are they going to do with Nathan now? You didn't buy Soria for him to be the 7th inning guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan was still the closer but his leash would be really short now. Ausmus would have two viable options now for the 8th and 9th if he fails and they could piece together the 7th with matchups with Al Al and Hardy.

Either way, I still think they get one more reliever.

It's easy to say the closer situation wasn't addressed in the offseason right now...but Nathan was extremely good last year despite his age, and virtually no one though there would be this dramatic of a dropoff.

There's a reason DD doesn't go all-in on closers...it's because they are such a crapshoot, and if you're basically throwing darts at a board, there's no reason to invest a lot of money. Better to invest that money where performance is more predictable. I'd rather have an additional really good hitter than a star closer. Hitters are more consistent year-to-year, and less injury prone.

So we traded Fister to clear up salary space to sign a player like Joe Nathan, allowing us to in the future trade away two top prospects for a closer.

A deal that had to be done, but what a depressing display of mismanagement. And the bullpen still sucks outside of Soria and Chamberlain.

Yup.

I remember in his KC days they sometimes called him The Mexicutioner, which is my favorite kind of nickname: vaguely threatening and vaguely racist.

Do people still call him that?

I remember in his KC days they sometimes called him The Mexicutioner, which is my favorite kind of nickname: vaguely threatening and vaguely racist.

Do people still call him that?

No he requested people stopped calling him that due to the violence in Mexico.

Spring training 2011: Kansas City Royals' Joakim Soria wants to get rid of 'Mexicutioner' nickname - ESPN

You are so incredibly false all the time.

Really? How's that OBP doing at AA ? He's Rob Deer. Home Run or Strikeout. I hope they can sucker another team into taking him. He's a threat to beat Mike Hessman's record.

I've defended the Fister trade, but its hard to argue that we'd be looking scary good right now if we simply didn't trade Fister and re-signed Benoit instead of signing Nathan.

I say go get Bastardo too. Krol and Crawford?

Whatever the reason was, DD really ****ed up that one. Now he has to sacrifice two good prospects, when they could of just re-upped Benoit. :dead:

Whatever the reason was, DD really ****ed up that one. Now he has to sacrifice two good prospects, when they could of just re-upped Benoit. :dead:

I dont' disagree he effed up the pen. But I seem to recall alot of very upset people when Benoit gave up the seed to big papi. Suddenly we need to have him back....ok.

I dont' disagree he effed up the pen. But I seem to recall alot of very upset people when Benoit gave up the seed to big papi. Suddenly we need to have him back....ok.

Benoit was very good for this team. He was homer prone in 2012, but all in all very good. There was really no reason not to bring him back. 7.5 mill for Benoit or 12 million for Nathan. Its not like Nathans 2013 #s were much better. Should of been a no brainer.