kdog

Tigers acquire Soria for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel

This allows for Smyly-Joba-Soria in the 7th-9th innings in the playoffs assuming Nathan doesn't get better. That's actually really solid assuming no injuries and that Smyly doesn't tire late in the season with his increased workload this year. His stuff plays up a lot better as a reliever and his stats in that role have been exceptional.

So we traded Fister to clear up salary space to sign a player like Joe Nathan, allowing us to in the future trade away two top prospects for a closer.

A deal that had to be done, but what a depressing display of mismanagement. And the bullpen still sucks outside of Soria and Chamberlain.

It doesn't look good on DD to have to keep trading for relievers. He has really struggled to piece together a quality bullpen for years and then they let Benoit walk in FA. On the other hand, the Fister and Nathan deals are sunk costs and you can't let that hinder future deals that should improve the team.

Soria is one of the best relievers in the game and the Tigers certainly need help in the bullpen. They gave up two good prospects, but so many things can go wrong with pitching prospects. I think we overrate our prospects a lot. I'm happy with this deal.

Soria is a beast. Love this move. He's closing here within two weeks.
I hope not.

Why not now? Why would they continue to blow games they could win just because they can't admit they made a mistake with Nathan?

Soria is one of the best relievers in the game and the Tigers certainly need help in the bullpen. They gave up two good prospects, but so many things can go wrong with pitching prospects. I think we overrate our prospects a lot. I'm happy with this deal.

It helps for now, but it hurts the Tigers prospects of staying cheap in the rotation long-term. I don't mind giving up Knebel, but Thompson was the one pitching prospect I was going to be unhappy trading. I think we regret this deal unless we win the World Series.

I loathe overpaying for relievers at the trade deadline when we could have had them cheaply an offseason or two ago.

I hope not.

Why not now? Why would they continue to blow games they could win just because they can't admit they made a mistake with Nathan?

Because they can't admit they made a mistake with Nathan.

I hope not.

The reason he's not closing within a week is because he has to walk from New York because of an air traffic controller/railroad conductor strike combined with a gas embargo.