Deleterious

Augustin a serious competitor for Jennings starting spot

25 lbs eh? I don't even know what to think of that. Maybe planning to lose 10 in TC and the rest is muscle? Could help him finish in the paint better if he's worked on his right hand at all.

it wouldn't matter if Jennings was faster and stronger than LeBron because he still can't shoot.

it wouldn't matter if Jennings was faster and stronger than LeBron because he still can't shoot.

maybe he could guard someone though....

But in the end these 'gained 25lb' (or lost) stories are usually pretty much bull.

There is a very small part of me that is curious what SVG can do with Jennings. Skiles, Boylan, Cheeks, and Loyer are not exactly NBA coaching royalty and those are the coaches he has played under.

If he can teach Jennings to stop gambling so much on defense that will be a big step in him improving. Ideally he would just run his guy off the line in a controlled manner, funneling him to a spot on the floor where Drummond should be waiting.

See? Easy to do on a message board. I'm fixing the Middle East after lunch.

There is a very small part of me that is curious what SVG can do with Jennings. Skiles, Boylan, Cheeks, and Loyer are not exactly NBA coaching royalty and those are the coaches he has played under.

If he can teach Jennings to stop gambling so much on defense that will be a big step in him improving. Ideally he would just run his guy off the line in a controlled manner, funneling him to a spot on the floor where Drummond should be waiting.

See? Easy to do on a message board. I'm fixing the Middle East after lunch.

He actually played better D under Skiles too, at least as a rookie. I'm also a bit curious what SVG can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd ship him off in a second if possible,but while he's here, I'm a little intrigued still by his untapped potential. Same for Smith.

He is not a terrible outside shooter, he is inconsistent from outside, but it's his at the rim game that helps drag his %'s below his peers. He struggled at the rim, and often took bad shots from 3-10 feet out because he wasn't confident at the tin. I can live with the career 35% from 3, but you can not live with last years 53% at the rim and 27% in floater range. If he finishes better it will help his 3-10 feet out game too. He's had years where he was acceptable from close. In 2012 he was 57% at the rim and 40% in floater range. To coincide with Jennings lack of confidence at the rim, he had career lows in % of shots taken inside 10 feet. He also surprisingly had his highest FT rate, which probably lead to him trying to draw fouls exclusively instead of trying to convert.

Now someone like Jeff Teague shot 61% at the rim and 38% in floater range and 32% from 3 and 38% from 16-23 feet. Much better at the rim but a tad below Jennings from outside, who shot 34% from 3 and 38% from long two.

Bottom line, Jennings has the athleticism and skill to get better, but he is one of the more soft minded guys in the game, if SVG gives up on him early, just stick a fork in him. But if they jive, Jennings could be as good as the other mid tier guys like Teague.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

maybe he could guard someone though....

But in the end these 'gained 25lb' (or lost) stories are usually pretty much bull.

There are videos of Jennings playing from this summer, the muscle weight stories seem legit, he does look bigger and it is not fat. Now how he gained so much muscle in such a short amount of time? Well, speculate away.

There are videos of Jennings playing from this summer, the muscle weight stories seem legit, he does look bigger and it is not fat. Now how he gained so much muscle in such a short amount of time? Well, speculate away.

Jennings doesn't really appear to have the frame that would allow him to put on a bunch of fat at this point in time. He will probably lose some of the muscle during the course of the season, but instead of being 150 at the end of the season he'll now be like 175. That's a good look for him.

He actually played better D under Skiles too, at least as a rookie. I'm also a bit curious what SVG can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd ship him off in a second if possible,but while he's here, I'm a little intrigued still by his untapped potential. Same for Smith.

I'll buy this on Smith more than Jennings. Woodson did some nice things with Smith, particularly in 2010, and Josh has solid defensive instincts. You can tell that he actually enjoys playing defense, which is rare in the league these days. SVG will bring a level of discipline and a defensive system that could really make Smith shine, especially in a front-court with an emerging defensive talent such as Drummond.

I spoke about it in another thread, but I'd actually like to see both a Smith trade and a Monroe S&T so that SVG can remake this team from the ground up. I don't like the fit of either of them with Drummond. However, if I had to choose one of them, I think Smith is a better fit next to Andre, especially with SVG as coach. The pairing just makes more sense to me than Monroe who's a slow footed Center that can't guard PFs, is terrible in the high pick n' roll on both offense and defense, and can't operate more than 5 feet from the hoop. Not trying to trash Monroe because I actually like his "old man's game". I just like him as my starting Center (if I didn't have Drummond), not as my PF next to a paint focused Center.

Jennings on the other hand is a waste of court space in my opinion. The best thing that SVG can do with him is bench him for Augustin and maybe put him in that Stuckey role. He has zero defensive instinct, makes terrible decisions, makes even worse decisions in crunch time, and has no basketball IQ. This is the guy we want having the greatest time of possession on the team? This is the guy we want as the first point of success/failure on every defensive possession? I'll repeat what I said earlier in the year: Jennings is the very first person I look to move on this team. PG sets the tone for the team on every single possession and ours is Charlie V in PG form. He thinks he's playing XBox.

I agree with all of that except for smith having defensive instincts. I guess he does when it comes to blocking shots, but he is always out of position and looks lost to me.

from that article Nas posted about Vegas thoughts...sounds like Monroe fits much better than Smith. Smith, for good or bad (and let's face it...mostly bad) drifts farther and farther from the rim and even when not taking 5 3's a game is taking lots of long 2's. Monroe is better off being the offensive player inside with Drummond with the shooters spreading the floor. Drummond has no offensive game so with Smith's tendencies to not play inside we'd basically have no inside offense. SVG's offense is an outside-inside offense. Work the ball inside to Moose, let him find the open shooter and let Drummond clean up the missed shots. I think it could work really well offensively. I think defense is still the question mark with this team.

Smith can play inside offensively. He's actually not that bad at it.

I know he can...but he's not disciplined enough to actually count on it. He's basically Sheed with a worse 3 pt shot

I know he can...but he's not disciplined enough to actually count on it. He's basically Sheed with a worse 3 pt shot

Serious question.

Tall, long, but thin guys like Sheed and Smith get criticized for not staying inside more after they show ability there, but how often do you think it is just a real limitation that they are not physically sturdy enough to bang inside more than occasionally without getting too beat up to stay effective?

And look what a disciplined coach with a strong offensive and defensive plan did with Sheed. Similarly, I think in SVG's system Smith/Drummond is a better combo that Monroe/Drummond. You can survive offensive lulls (which I don't think we'd have anyway) with good defense - look at what Chicago did the last couple of years. I like Monroe as a Center but he is a major liability on defense at the PF position. Defense and 3pt shooting are the two main things we need to clean up this year.

So why don't we just lock Monroe up and have either him or Smith be the 6th man? That way we would have 2 of the 3 on the floor at all times. Quite honestly that's a pretty darn good front court and provides good insurance if someone is in foul trouble or gets hurt.

I don't like Smith but if he comes off the bench and accepts that role I would keep him. Problem is, I don't think he will. However, if he would do that then it would be a huge mistake to throw him away for a couple expiring contracts and giving those minutes to Jonas and gray.

Pure assumption on my part, but I can't see Smith or Monroe happy about coming off the bench. But who knows.

I understand that there is a lot of pride with starting vs being a bench guy. Van Gundy has to sell the idea as minutes played. Maybe there is a way to sell the idea that all 3 start, but changes will be made at the 6 minute mark and rotations will be made such that it will be primarily only 2 of the 3 on the court thereafter based on preset game strategies and/or game flow.

I don't like the idea of giving Smith away, but there isn't much leverage after last season. If there isn't a market for him, just wait and see what Van Gundy can do with the trio. Maybe he can create a market for him, maybe he can get a solid and cohesive rotation in place.

And bringing this back to Augustin and Jennings, again, let's see what Van Gundy can do with them if both are still on the roster on Opening Night. The team will need better PG play for sure, and maybe that can be squeezed from this duo.

no clue...but that's the job. If he can't bang with the big boys and only shoots 27% from 3 pt land he's useless as an offensive player.

I agree with all of that except for smith having defensive instincts. I guess he does when it comes to blocking shots, but he is always out of position and looks lost to me.

He is a bad defender but a really good weak/help side shot blocker.