KleShreen

2014 Trade Deadline Chatter

Reading some of the fangraphs guy's chat...some names that came up

--Martin Prado

--Aaron Hill

--Curtis Granderson ($$$$)

I would love to be rid of hunter.

I actually think Texas would consider that, but I'm not sure the tigers would. That's a lot of money to spend on a mediocre rios next year.

I don't think rios is all that much better than hunter. He might not even be better at all.

I wouldn't make that trade.

There are not going to be a lot of players available this winter that will be better than Hunter on a more team friendly contract than 1/$13.5 million. But to be clear, I don't like Rios. I just see it as a possible plug to patch a pretty bad OF situation that has little immediate help on the horizon through the system.

There are not going to be a lot of players available this winter that will be better than Hunter on a more team friendly contract than 1/$13.5 million. But to be clear, I don't like Rios. I just see it as a possible plug to patch a pretty bad OF situation that has little immediate help on the horizon through the system.

I'm still of the opinion that the Tigers should consider moving Castellanos back to the OF if Suarez continues to develop. You can play Iglesias at SS and Suarez at 3B.

Austin Jackson is struggling but he isn't so bad that no team would trade for him or claim him on waivers.

I know it sounds harsh, but this is the third season of a downward trend for AJ and he currently shares the worst WAR among CFs in the majors with Kemp, a player his team is wishing would just go away. And he and Kemp are a whopping 0.7 WAR below their next worst competitor. What team in the league would be upgrading by claiming him? And at $6 mil he is an expensive backup.

I've liked AJ and defended him a lot in the past, but the value he is bringing has plummeted off the charts.

I'm still of the opinion that the Tigers should consider moving Castellanos back to the OF if Suarez continues to develop. You can play Iglesias at SS and Suarez at 3B.

I'm attracted to this concept also, except that they tell us Nick is an even worse OF than 3b. :sad:

Austin Jackson is struggling but he isn't so bad that no team would trade for him or claim him on waivers.

I don't know about that. I could see a team claiming him off waivers, sure. It costs them little. But I don't see any team giving up anything of value for him.

He's a borderline non tender candidate at this point. He's going to cost close to 10 million next season, and he doesn't do anything particularly well.

I know it sounds harsh, but this is the third season of a downward trend for AJ and he currently shares the worst WAR among CFs in the majors with Kemp, a player his team is wishing would just go away. And he and Kemp are a whopping 0.7 WAR below their next worst competitor. What team in the league would be upgrading by claiming him? And at $6 mil he is an expensive backup.

I've liked AJ and defended him a lot in the past, but the value he is bringing has plummeted off the charts.

He isn't owed the full 6 million by the new team. Any smart team would take a zero risk chance on Jackson and see if they can get the 2012 Jackson.

The longer that Jackson flounders the more intrigued I am at trying out Ezequiel Cabrera in CF for a test run. Maybe if they have to place Victor on the DL he could get his tryout.

Trading for Tulo would be the ultimate win now move - it would likely require at least four of our top 10 prospects to even get the Rockies to answer the phone call and start talking.

I was hoping for that rumored Brett Gardner for Austin Jackson deal to happen in the off season, but the Yankees weren't dumb enough to do it.

He has limited value at this point due to his rapid defensive decline that all teams have been able to see. Without quality defense, and even going off his career offensive norms, he's not much of a player now. I doubt he's the CF next year given the salary he'd command in arbitration. Davis could probably play CF just as well as Jackson can defensively at this point.

I dont see anything big happening as far as a bat or a starter. I think Benoit would be an amazing add as well as Zobrist or Prado. If we could somehow swing a trade for Price then I would be happy with that for sure but I dont see that happening.

I do like Suarez long-term, but I really doubt he hits enough to be a major-league 3B.

I do like Suarez long-term, but I really doubt he hits enough to be a major-league 3B.

Maybe the best move long term is to find a team to dump Kinsler off to.

I think Smyly gets moved back to the bullpen and Ray gets his starting job.....fixes 2 spots internally. I think that a combination of Hardy and perhaps Suarez get moved for Huston Street. Then, I would really like a trade that brings Red's shortstop Zac Cozart to Detroit. The Reds need a big bat, and maybe JD Martinez would land the Tigers Cozart. I also don't think that Scherzer gets traded.

Maybe the best move long term is to find a team to dump Kinsler off to.

Wonder how he'd fare in the outfield?

I'd like to keep Kinsler. He's a very good player and I like the attitude he brings to the game. Sure, that last part doesn't really matter WRT wins/losses but it matters to me as a fan. I don't like him THAT much though...if an opportunity arises that'll make us a better team in the short-run without significantly affecting our long-term ability to contend I'd be down with that. I just think there are other areas of greater need. But if solving that greater need requires moving Kinsler, so be it.

I'd like to see Nick back in the outfield. We'd become a better team defensively on the infield and I'm not so sure how much of a + or - Nick would be over Hunter once he gets some more reps in.

But something has to be done with Austin Jackson. I wonder if he's playing hurt...it just doesn't make sense to see how quickly he's dropped off at such a relatively young age. He still looks the part of a player who should have plus speed and defense in CF but that certainly isn't bearing out lately. At least when Granderson stopped being a plus in the outfield his bat made up for it.

The defensive metrics for Granderson are a little weird though. He had 1 down year (2008) for Detroit according to fangraphs but was good to very good in the years before and again in 2010.

Austin Jackson has nothing going for him now. Not baserunning, not offense, not defense. Depending on how Dirks comes back and how that platoon with Davis works, Jackson is the biggest concern I have with the team.

Aren't there any guaranteed out, but great speed and fielding center fielders available?

I don't think we move Kinsler any time soon(to another team or the OF), even though Travis does intrigue the hell out of me.

Benoit would be a great move. Too bad we didn't keep him over Nathan.

I wonder how a Davis/Dirks platoon would work in CF? Dirks was really good defensively in LF last year. Davis has been roughly league average in CF in his career.

I don't think there's any way Smyly goes back to the bullpen unless we trade for another starter--which I don't see us doing, because our starting rotation the way it is is more than adequate. Ray was already being rushed by putting him in AAA to start this season, and I don't see anything to show that he'd be an adequate replacement for Smyly this year, or even next. He's just not ready this year. Smyly is a better pitcher than Ray right now, and likely will be in the future.

Smyly has a high ceiling, and is constantly underrated by Tigers fans. I even think he could be a #2 starter at some point. He misses enough bats and shows stretches of very good control, although his command so far is too spotty. But command is one of the last things to come around in a pitcher's development, and he is still very young. He also needs to refine his changeup, which is something that will be stunted if we move him into the bullpen. If he can do both of these things, he has good enough stuff to be a #2 for the Tigers during his peak years.

I don't think there's any way Smyly goes back to the bullpen unless we trade for another starter--which I don't see us doing, because our starting rotation the way it is is more than adequate. Ray was already being rushed by putting him in AAA to start this season, and I don't see anything to show that he'd be an adequate replacement for Smyly this year, or even next. He's just not ready this year. Smyly is a better pitcher than Ray right now, and likely will be in the future.

Smyly has a high ceiling, and is constantly underrated by Tigers fans. I even think he could be a #2 starter at some point. He misses enough bats and shows stretches of very good control, although his command so far is too spotty. But command is one of the last things to come around in a pitcher's development, and he is still very young. He also needs to refine his changeup, which is something that will be stunted if we move him into the bullpen. If he can do both of these things, he has good enough stuff to be a #2 for the Tigers during his peak years.

Nailed it 100%

Agree completely. Well, I don't know how Ray has been pitching this year but I certainly don't want Smyly going back to the pen now regardless. Perhaps have Ray do bullpen duty once rosters expand and make him available for the post-season. But not at the expense of Smyly's development.

Agree completely. Well, I don't know how Ray has been pitching this year....

Not getting hit too much but still walking a bit too many at Toledo.

Agree completely. Well, I don't know how Ray has been pitching this year but I certainly don't want Smyly going back to the pen now regardless. Perhaps have Ray do bullpen duty once rosters expand and make him available for the post-season. But not at the expense of Smyly's development.

His strikeout rate is promising but not dominant (7.0 K/9), his BB rate is in the neighborhood but probably needs improvement (3.0 K/9). He gives up a lot of hits, though (9.0 H/9; 1.34 WHIP). If you ignore his age, he looks like he could maybe be called up and become a passable 5th starter/swingman in the majors...and if he's lucky, become a Joe Saunders-ish guy at best.

But then when you realize that this is his first time through AAA and that he's only 22, you also realize that he has one, if not two more years to refine his numbers and still be a blue-chip prospect. If he repeats AAA next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see his numbers improve to the point where he's ready to become slotted into a MLB rotation as a decent #4 guy. Like, if the Tigers don't rush him (which they will anyway), I could see maybe a call-up next year at the All-Star break if things continue the way they are.

Edited by TheCouga

.... He gives up a lot of hits, though....

you take 1 H/IP as high? I suppose if you assume he needs some leeway to get worse moving up a level, but then I'd think you still be more concerned with his walk rate. In any case, I think we agree he's not quite there yet.

you take 1 H/IP as high? I suppose if you assume he needs some leeway to get worse moving up a level, but then I'd think you still be more concerned with his walk rate. In any case, I think we agree he's not quite there yet.

It's a tad high assuming you get worse as you move up a level, but it's also the combination of both hits and walks that worry me. Smyly's H/9 in Erie was 6.3. Porcello's in Toledo was 7.7, although he only spent 4 games there. But Porcello was a year younger.