KleShreen

2014 Trade Deadline Chatter

Sorry for perhaps starting this a little early. It's just one of my favorite threads to check in on during the month of July.

Here is all I have seen, courtesy of MLBTR:

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports the Tigers are interested in re-acquiring Joaquin Benoit (via Twitter). Of course, Benoit is in the midst of a fantastic season with the Padres. He’s pitched to a 1.26 ERA with 10.09 K/9 and 1.77 BB/9.

Of course, that's not shocking to anyone.

Not sure what we could possibly expect of DD come the trade deadline. I speculated in another thread that I could see DD pulling the trigger on a Max Scherzer trade and get a decent haul. I could picture a Chris Owings/Josh Collmenter-type trade for Scherzer if the DBacks were willing to do so. It's one of those rare situations where you would have a team in the hunt for the playoffs trade away a major contributing piece, so I'm not sure how that would work in terms of suitors. Lesser teams probably aren't going to want to take him on with not much chance at re-signing him, and you're not going to get much for him from trading him to a contender, I don't think, unless it's for another major contributor who is also going to be a FA in the off-season that you might think could re-sign with the Tigers. Of course, I also think that a potential Max trade would be contingent on Verlander returning to form, because I don't think they'll trade Max if all they have after him is Anibal as a reliable starter.

Edited by KleShreen

Despite our bullpen woes, I feel this team needs more hitting more than anything else. Either one big bat or two OK bats.

I just can't take these long periods where they struggle to score runs.

Of course, I'd also like Benoit.

Sorry for perhaps starting this a little early. It's just one of my favorite threads to check in on during the month of July.

Here is all I have seen, courtesy of MLBTR:

Of course, that's not shocking to anyone.

Not sure what we could possibly expect of DD come the trade deadline. I speculated in another thread that I could see DD pulling the trigger on a Max Scherzer trade and get a decent haul. I could picture a Chris Owings/Josh Collmenter-type trade for Scherzer if the DBacks were willing to do so. It's one of those rare situations where you would have a team in the hunt for the playoffs trade away a major contributing piece, so I'm not sure how that would work in terms of suitors. Lesser teams probably aren't going to want to take him on with not much chance at re-signing him, and you're not going to get much for him from trading him to a contender, I don't think, unless it's for another major contributor who is also going to be a FA in the off-season that you might think could re-sign with the Tigers. Of course, I also think that a potential Max trade would be contingent on Verlander returning to form, because I don't think they'll trade Max if all they have after him is Anibal as a reliable starter.

Why would Arizona trade for Scherzer?

What does God need with a starship?

good one.

I don't see them trading Max.

Why would Arizona trade for Scherzer?

They are a talented team for the most part but don't have any kind of ace to their pitching staff. Scherzer is familiar with the organization and maybe that is a team he would sign a long-term deal with and set them up for future success.

Arizona has the second worst record in mlb.

Apparently the solution to improving their team is to trade away young players with talent for 2-3 months of max scherzer.

Makes perfect sense.

I think we trade for a starter, and move Drew to the bullpen, which would bolster two positions at once. We may also make a move for Benoit.

My dream would be a deal for Price and Jennings or Zobrist. I doubt we have the pieces to make it happen though.

Benoit makes all kinds of sense of course.

I think this lineup needs a veteran bat. Maybe even a player to swing that bat. I do not know who that will be. As I conjur it, we have rookie 3b, rookie SS, rookie RF (JD Martinez), and rookie backup C.

Again, I don't know who it would be.

Just had a thought:

Castellanos for a middle infielder with power.

V-mart to first

Miggy to third

Hunter DH

Dirks to corner OF or another hitter acquired to corner outfield.

Just had a thought:

Castellanos for a middle infielder with power.

V-mart to first

Miggy to third

Hunter DH

Dirks to corner OF or another hitter acquired to corner outfield.

You're trading Castellanos to solve a problem for 3 months.

He's a future asset for sure. I foresee him as a cornerstone hitter. We might regret trading him like we regretted trading Howard Johnson.

Package him with Scherzer to Arizona?

I don't see the Tigers aggressively adding a big salary player.

Unless they're going to go after a catcher, which is there biggest offensive need IMO,

I would like to see them make a run at Alex Rios. He can play all 3 outfield positions.

He's making 12.5m this year and 13.5m next year (age 34).

Then he's a free agent.

I would like to see a starter added and Smyly back to the BP.

I think we trade for a starter, and move Drew to the bullpen, which would bolster two positions at once. We may also make a move for Benoit.

I don't know about another starter. I kind of like it from the perspective of saving Smyly's workload a bit. I would imagine Smyly would go the bullpen for the playoffs, and depending on who the newly acquired starter is, they (or another of the current SPs) would also move to the bullpen.

I can easily see a move or two for the bullpen.

My dream would be a deal for Price and Jennings or Zobrist. I doubt we have the pieces to make it happen though.

That would be fun, but I doubt it comes to fruition. Zobrist would be versatile, Jennings would improve the CF defense. I think I would be fine with adding either of them, but I just don't see Price heading to Detroit.

Despite our bullpen woes, I feel this team needs more hitting more than anything else. Either one big bat or two OK bats.

I just can't take these long periods where they struggle to score runs.

Of course, I'd also like Benoit.

I'm all for adding offense if they can get it, but I wouldn't call it a need. The Tigers have actually had one of the best and most consistent offenses in baseball this year. I think we got so used to the "steroids era" that we forget how much offense is down around baseball. The problem has been run prevention.

Arizona has the second worst record in mlb.

Apparently the solution to improving their team is to trade away young players with talent for 2-3 months of max scherzer.

Makes perfect sense.

Or you can be a douchebaggy dickhole who adds nothing to the conversation. That works too.

Thanks for obviously not reading anything but the part you wanted to criticize of my post. I apologize for apparently not putting enough qualifiers in my post to make it pure speculation.

Edited by KleShreen

... I would like to see them make a run at Alex Rios. He can play all 3 outfield positions.

He's making 12.5m this year and 13.5m next year (age 34).

Then he's a free agent.

I don't like Rios, but a Hunter for Rios trade would be interesting. The 2014 salary is essentially a wash, and Texas gets out from underneath some 2015 salary. We replace one big OF hole for 2015 (RF or CF, take your pick) and get a player who offers better defense than Hunter. And I guess the plus for Hunter is that he gets to go home to Texas.

Of course, if we could churn out a league average OF from our system, then we wouldn't have to throw $13+ million at a crappy player to fill the void in the OF. But, that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

I would love to be rid of hunter.

I actually think Texas would consider that, but I'm not sure the tigers would. That's a lot of money to spend on a mediocre rios next year.

I don't think rios is all that much better than hunter. He might not even be better at all.

I wouldn't make that trade.

I believe Tulo is due for a season ending injury in the next couple weeks.

Now that Tulo and Cargo have said they would love to play for a winning team, maybe some sort of trade talk damn will burst. Not really sure what teams would have enough to make it happen though.

I'm all for adding offense if they can get it, but I wouldn't call it a need. The Tigers have actually had one of the best and most consistent offenses in baseball this year. I think we got so used to the "steroids era" that we forget how much offense is down around baseball. The problem has been run prevention.

3rd base is pretty much a defensive disaster with Nick, but they are not going to give up on him or his bat at 22, so we can only upgrade there to the degree Nick improves - the spot is his - cast in stone so to speak. That leaves CF and RF. Upgrading in either position presents difficulties. Moving Torii to a team looking for that veteran bat could work, but it would leave us looking for a veteran bat. IF Torii would accept the RH (short side) of a platoon with Dirks, that could solve that problem, but that's not a given.

To upgrade CF presents the issue of what to do with AJax. He's probably untradeable and he's not a guy that does you any good on the bench.-- we'd probably have to release him and I have a hard time seeing the team doing that at least at this point.

hmm... he doesn't have 5 yrs service time - does he have an option left? Then again the way he is playing he might clear waivers.

Edited by Gehringer_2