Sign in to follow this  
Zakk_Wylde

No Dead Air?

This has been going on for years, but it's finally annoying me enough to start a thread.

Is there some rule now that in baseball broadcasting, we can't have any dead air? What I mean, is after every single pitch, we have to listen to Rod Allen babble and babble and babble until Mario does the pbp on the next pitch. Most of the babbling is so meaningless that it sounds like he's just talking to hear his own voice.

I'm sorry if this rant isn't worthy of a thread, but every single second of the broadcast does not need to be filled up with talking.

Watch an old George/Al broadcast. Unless Kaline had something actually interesting and meaningful to add, he kept his mouth shut. They didn't need to banter back and forth the entire time. Neither did Ernie And Paul.

Dan/Jim are guilty of this as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

Whatever happened to just letting the stadium noise and atmosphere fill the broadcast when there was no action happening?

I agree it's annoying, and it gets worse in the playoffs. If there are three in the booth, that means more mindless talk. "You can't teach speed" was a mildly interesting observation the first time I heard it. After hearing it hundreds of times, it's just noise.

It's the same way in real life and yes it's annoying.

Is 'In Real Life' referring to the constant promotions at the Stadium? If so, I agree. Not sure if many people on here attend OHL Hockey games but listening to the generic hot blonde promotions girl give away some lame gift certificate after every single whistle is beyond irritating. I like looking at hot blondes just as much as any other guy, but listening to them speak? Not so much. :) Windsor Arena used to be an absolute insane asylum during Spitfire games, but the canned corporate atmosphere is taking over.

Vin Scully has a great way of backing off and letting you take it all in during some significant moments, as if to admit that there is nothing he could say to make it any better. He's an exception, though.

It would be nice if you could chose what audio you wanted to hear. Just the sound of the game/fans, the announcers or the what we have now. With the technology we have today it would be to difficult to do.

Is 'In Real Life' referring to the constant promotions at the Stadium? If so, I agree. Not sure if many people on here attend OHL Hockey games but listening to the generic hot blonde promotions girl give away some lame gift certificate after every single whistle is beyond irritating. I like looking at hot blondes just as much as any other guy, but listening to them speak? Not so much. :) Windsor Arena used to be an absolute insane asylum during Spitfire games, but the canned corporate atmosphere is taking over.

And live at the stadium has taken a quantum leap in the wrong direction this season with that same bubble headed blonde (Heather?) who is your between innings "host" - all 140 inescapable feet of her on the big board, droning on at every break about some mindless promotion 15,000 seats away from you that you'd just as soon would all jump in the fountain together. At least at home I can hit the mute on the breaks.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I love everything about the Modern baseball experience. Its best if you pay for an expensive seat and buy a lot of food and beverages at the stadium. I like the Bernsteins because I'm glad they are looking out for me. Grandpa from Family Heating and Electrical must be a heck of a guy. I want to have a health issue so i can use Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I think Zuber Buick must be an enlightened shopping experience. I don't own a forklift but if i did I'd go to Frasa forklift. Heck, I might just go there for kicks.

You folks should get with the program.

When I have complaints like this, I always think about the people who are less fortunate. There are many people out there who are blind or hard of seeing who "watch" the broadcasts on TV and rely on Rod/Mario for the most detail possible, and I can only imagine how annoying it would be to be one of those people and just not hear what's going on at all times.

I love everything about the Modern baseball experience. Its best if you pay for an expensive seat and buy a lot of food and beverages at the stadium. I like the Bernsteins because I'm glad they are looking out for me. Grandpa from Family Heating and Electrical must be a heck of a guy. I want to have a health issue so i can use Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I think Zuber Buick must be an enlightened shopping experience. I don't own a forklift but if i did I'd go to Frasa forklift. Heck, I might just go there for kicks.

You folks should get with the program.

Such as even trying to eat the the iridescent blue-green relish that is the color of no pickle ever grown on God's-Green-Earth that they put on the 'Chicago' Dogs? No Sir! That is just a bridge too far.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like what Rod and Mario bring to the broadcasts. Don't like it? You don't have to watch it.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like what Rod and Mario bring to the broadcasts. Don't like it? You don't have to watch it.

I'm so thankful that the radio lines up perfectly with the tv. Unless I'm watching it from the dvr, I don't have to listen to that idiot Rod Allen babble on and on and on and on.

Hey, did you know he was on the 84 Tigers team?

One thing I've noticed about Dan and Jim's show this year is that absolutely everything is sponsored. A guy can't take a walk in the 7th or later without hearing about how it's brought to you by the feel-good Michigan Masons, Share the Secret, or if the number of first pitch strikes exceeds 10 within the starter's start that $17.50 will be donated to the Myopia Society of the Greater Detroit Metroplex, nice area.

When I have complaints like this, I always think about the people who are less fortunate. There are many people out there who are blind or hard of seeing who "watch" the broadcasts on TV and rely on Rod/Mario for the most detail possible, and I can only imagine how annoying it would be to be one of those people and just not hear what's going on at all times.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't tell what's going on. They just want them to cut down on the inane banter and let the crowd tell the story once in a while. People that can't see might want to hear the crowd noise too. In fact, they probably would have a keener sense of awareness of crowd noises and what they mean than those of us who can see.

I liked it better when the tigers were on channel 4 like once a week and we didn't subscribe to PASS becauese it was too expensive and its bad enough paying $25 a month for tv.... you want to pay more?

They gotta pay the bills. That means not only faygo home runs but constsant promos for network shows. No Vin Scully doesnt do that but thats because hes a legend and that itself is the sales job. No broadcaster coming up would get away with doing that nor would a producer. The product.

I liked it better when the tigers were on channel 4 like once a week and we didn't subscribe to PASS becauese it was too expensive and its bad enough paying $25 a month for tv.... you want to pay more?

They gotta pay the bills. That means not only faygo home runs but constsant promos for network shows. No Vin Scully doesnt do that but thats because hes a legend and that itself is the sales job. No broadcaster coming up would get away with doing that nor would a producer. The product.

What about Jim Price repeating the same tired expressions over and over or Rod Allen talking about stupid stuff?

Such as even trying to eat the the iridescent blue-green relish that is the color of no pickle ever grown on God's-Green-Earth that they put on the 'Chicago' Dogs? No Sir! That is just a bridge too far.

I tried to eat the International Superfecta of tubed meats when i was there on Friday night. That started with the Polish Sausage, then the Italian Sausage, followed by the Bratwurst. I washed most of that down with a Canadian beer. I went about 50% on the Kosher Hotdog after that.

Were I to be a better person who truly loved all mankind, I would have also made a go at some Cuban rum. Dutch Gouda and Edam cheeses were not to be found.

The stadium still lacks a decent Cordon Bleu at the concessions stands.

Vin Scully has a great way of backing off and letting you take it all in during some significant moments, as if to admit that there is nothing he could say to make it any better. He's an exception, though.

Scully also broadcasts alone. He is one of the greats.

I've listened to a few games this year with Jim and Dan. Multiple times, I found one says something, and the other correct him. At least enough for me to notice. The tone of voice they had, it appeared they were getting annoyed with each other. Did anyone else get that impression?

And then you have broadcasts like Saturday's. Rod and Mario infomercial is what it was. Interspersed with random family interviews that were mind numbing.

It's no better at the games. We went on the 4th and I would hear the fans screaming for no apparent reason. Then I would notice the scoreboard saying something stupid like Make Some Noise. Or telling fans to get louder. I guess with the real fans not being able to afford the games, they need to let these event induced people know when there is or may be excitment. 25 dollars to park your car? Please!!

And then you have broadcasts like Saturday's. Rod and Mario infomercial is what it was. Interspersed with random family interviews that were mind numbing.

Unwatchable.

I've listened to a few games this year with Jim and Dan. Multiple times, I found one says something, and the other correct him. At least enough for me to notice. The tone of voice they had, it appeared they were getting annoyed with each other. Did anyone else get that impression?

They seem to get along fine. It's Allen and Impemba that seem not to get along.

It's no better at the games. We went on the 4th and I would hear the fans screaming for no apparent reason. Then I would notice the scoreboard saying something stupid like Make Some Noise. Or telling fans to get louder. I guess with the real fans not being able to afford the games, they need to let these event induced people know when there is or may be excitment. 25 dollars to park your car? Please!!

Our local minor league park (Lowell Spinners) is just as bad when it comes to non-stop noise and nonsense, so I don't go there so much now. It's a shame because it's a beautiful park and so close. Yesterday, I went to see the Connecticut Tigers and it was a great baseball atmosphere - just spontaneous noise from the fans. Lakeland is the same way. The problem is neither one of them gets many fans, because the event seekers don't come. Good for me, bad for business.