Mr.TaterSalad

Should Kenny Holland Be Fired?

Should Kenny Holland Be Fired  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kenny Holland Be Fired

Mr. Parise, either your signature or your brains are going on this contract.......

Mr. Suter too.

The Primeau/Coffey-Shanahan trade and the Suter non-signing were the bookends on the Wings' elite era of greatness.

Was bowman the gm for the coffey/shanahan trade? Wasn't there a year when bryan murray was the gm and bowman the coach?

The Primeau/Coffey-Shanahan trade and the Suter non-signing were the bookends on the Wings' elite era of greatness.

I agree. Signing Praise would have been a luxury. Finding someone like Suter was a huge necessity.

Kenny gets more credit because he has drafted well in later rounds, which is hard to do.

Well, Kenny gets credit for letting Hakan Andersson make the selection. It is the job of a GM to surround himself with good people, so I'll always give Kenny that.

Was bowman the gm for the coffey/shanahan trade?

Yes

Wasn't there a year when bryan murray was the gm and bowman the coach?

That would be 1994.

The Wings lost to San Jose in the play-offs and Murray was fired.

4 years seems too long for the eventual rebuild that's going to be needed and Holland's preference of veterans over youth.

And Mr. Tater's head explodes.

I wonder how this impacts Babcock. Probably makes him more likely to stay than if Holland had moved on, but I never expected Holland to be gone anyways and I still think there's a decent chance Babcock will leave next summer.

4 years seems too long for the eventual rebuild that's going to be needed and Holland's preference of veterans over youth.

The rebuild is already well under way. We may not like Holland's lack of free agent activity this summer or his penchant for signing a few declining vets or be frustrated that without top 10 draft picks it's hard to get a true blue chip prospect, but I don't see the Wings falling off the cliff anytime soon. If we had relied on Zetterberg and Datsyuk at their best full-time to eke out a playoff berth last season I'd feel differrently. But I don't think it's unrealistic for the Wings to expect to get as much from Datsyuk and Zetterberg the next 3-4 years as they did this past injury-riddled season that reduced both of them to half a season of output each.

But they still haven't re-signed their top scorer from last year. So perhaps they are waiting for other things to happen (like the Mike Green trade) or they think Anthony Mantha is going to fill that role next year.

But they still haven't re-signed their top scorer from last year. So perhaps they are waiting for other things to happen (like the Mike Green trade) or they think Anthony Mantha is going to fill that role next year.

They're waiting to see how his back is and what his desire is in regards to next season, he's planning to skate with the team next month before camp and what not:

Red Wings GM Ken Holland says team likely will look to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson | MLive.com

What rebuild is needed? The Wings have the best young talent in the NHL right now, imo.

What rebuild is needed? The Wings have the best young talent in the NHL right now, imo.

I hope you're right Cruzer, and I hope Holland and Babcock give the young guys a chance to play, given their preference for playing veterans.

If Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Weiss can find a way to stay healthy for most of the year, this team can compete with just about anyone IMO. See how things go and maybe make a deal for a defensemen at the deadline.

I hope you're right Cruzer, and I hope Holland and Babcock give the young guys a chance to play, given their preference for playing veterans.

They have been sprinkling them in, at their usual rate. It has worked for them in the past, so I don't see much changing, except a rare talent like Mantha. He's the most talented player the Wings have had on the roster since Fedorov.

They have been sprinkling them in, at their usual rate. It has worked for them in the past, so I don't see much changing, except a rare talent like Mantha. He's the most talented player the Wings have had on the roster since Fedorov.

How many games of Mantha's have you watched? I haven't seen much outside of a handful of shifts, that's why I ask. But it is hard for me to believe he's more talented than Datsyuk or Zetterberg for starters. From what I read it is possible that he is a better pure scorer than the two though. Either way I am excited about him.

What have you done for me lately is the motto I know all too well in sales. What has Kenny done for us lately besides let his team deteriorate and get older? What has he really done to earn an extension of this magnitude? Does five playoff appearances since our last Stanley Cup, largely on the backs of either Z/Dats/#5 and young players Kenny didn't want to play counterbalance Kenny's bad moves?

How many games of Mantha's have you watched? I haven't seen much outside of a handful of shifts, that's why I ask. But it is hard for me to believe he's more talented than Datsyuk or Zetterberg for starters. From what I read it is possible that he is a better pure scorer than the two though. Either way I am excited about him.

I saw three games I can remember last year, and I think he'll be different as a pro. At Val d'or, he shot from the point often, whereas I can see the Wings working to get him down low more often, but he won't be junked in front of the goal. He needs to shoot, but at better angles than he was a junior. He has the best shot I have seen since Mario Lemieux. He's also an underrated passer.

What have you done for me lately is the motto I know all too well in sales. What has Kenny done for us lately besides let his team deteriorate and get older? What has he really done to earn an extension of this magnitude? Does five playoff appearances since our last Stanley Cup, largely on the backs of either Z/Dats/#5 and young players Kenny didn't want to play counterbalance Kenny's bad moves?

He has drafted extremely well, which is what a GM should do. They are in great shape.

The asking price for Detroit to get Tyler Myers is reportedly… | ProHockeyTalk

When myself and others (mainly on HFBoards) say that Holland should be let go, its because they fear trades like this happening. If Holland pulls the trigger on a deal that sees us giving up Jurco, Larkin and a 1st just for Myers, fans are going to go ape!